Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Extreme4, AXTU and sleep mode issue?

alexandrebr is offline Junior Member

Default Z77 Extreme4, AXTU and sleep mode issue?

Hi, guys.

First of all, it's a pleasure to take part in this community.

Well, as the topic title says, I've been facing problems with my Z77 Extreme4, the AXTU and the sleep function.

The fact is that, everytime I run any software such as CPU-Z, AIDA64, HWInfo64, and go into sleep mode, when wakening the turbo technology fails to work properly. For instance, if I run AIDA64, close it and make the system sleep, as soon as the system wakes up the multiplier will be limited to 36x. In the case of CPU-Z, most of times the cpu clock will be stuck at 16x. If I run HWInfo64, when the system is back on the turbo multiplier will be stuck as well, but @ 37x. The only way to solve the problem is restarting the system.

At this time I haven't tried to overclock yet. The UEFI bios has almost all default values (I've enabled the C states instead of letting them as auto). Even so, I've been facing that odd behavior.

After doing some tests, I've noticed that everything seems related to AXTU. I've come to that conclusion because, even if I don't run any of the mentioned softwares, but simply click on the AXTU overclocking tab while cpu is @16 x 100 and go back to monitoring (no values changed), as soon as I go into sleep mode and wake the system up, the multiplier will be stuck @16x. And that happens with no exception.

For example, look at the turbo change after running HWInfo64, entering sleep mode and reloading the system:

Before sleeping:

After:

Here is the screen after simply clicking on AXTU overclocking tab and going into sleep mode:

As you can see, mysteriously the turbo clock is set down to 1600 Mhz.

I've uninstalled AXTU and tested the same softwares and the sleep mode and, when woken up, the turbo technology worked flawless.

Having that said, I'd like to know if it isn't really possible to have the AXTU and run system tools like AIDA64 and others without having multiplier problems. Is that a common bug, already known? As well, isn't there any way of disabling software overclock in the UEFI?

In addition, I've done the clear CMOS procedure several times.

Sorry for the long post and many thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by alexandrebr; 04-11-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    i5 3570k - Thermalright SI-128
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    2x4GB G.Skill Ares 1600Mhz
    XFX HD6870
    Samsung HDD (500GB + 1TB)
    Win7 x64 Ultimate

Rale is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme4, AXTU and sleep mode issue?

Sorry for my English, its not my native language.

Quote Originally Posted by Rale View Post
    Thanks for your answer.

I read that topic before creating this one. The thing is: clearing the BIOS doesn't solve my problem.

I'd really like to use AXTU to monitor temps and fan speed.

It would also be interesting if someone could do the same tests.
    Last edited by alexandrebr; 04-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    XFX HD6870
    Win7 x64 Ultimate

parsec is offline Senior Member

I use a Z77 EWX 4 board, and use HWiNFO64, and AXTU, but have never experienced this issue. I'm not sure I completely understand the situation. You enter Sleep with one or more of these programs running, and when you wake from Sleep, the CPU multiplier is changed in various ways. Is that correct?

I always exit monitoring programs before I enter Sleep, just a habit of mine. I'll test this potential issue if you just describe the situation clearly for me so I can duplicate it.

I agree that this probably is related to AXTU, since the other utilities simply read data and cannot modify it. I do know that when using multiple monitoring programs at the same time (two or more running simultaneously), that the data they display can become distorted and is just wrong, for whatever reason. AXTU displays data and can modify it, so if its data becomes garbled, it possibly could do what it appears to be doing.

The issue of bad data when multiple monitoring programs are run simultaneously is important, I have seen this happen many times on every mother board I've used. I've also found that it is the programs provided by the mother board manufacture (like AXTU) that are the ones affected by the bad data readings. The third party programs (HWiNFO, etc) are less likely to display bad readings, but they are not immune from that.

Another question is, given that bad data caused by multiple utility programs does happen, are we certain that the multipliers, for example, that seem to change when waking from Sleep, have really been applied to the CPU? I am NOT saying they aren't, I don't know yet. My point it we are depending on tools that may have a problem, so how to we know what the multipliers are really set to?

AXTU requires the user to apply any changes to the CPU multiplier, etc, so is it applying settings by itself for some reason, and using random or bad data? Or is it somehow applying the last multiplier values it read before the PC entered Sleep?

Hi, parsec. Thank you very much for your explanations and questions.

"I'm not sure I completely understand the situation. You enter Sleep with one or more of these programs running, and when you wake from Sleep, the CPU multiplier is changed in various ways. Is that correct?"

Well, firstly, I must say that I close any monitoring applictation before entering sleep mode. Only AXTU keeps running minimized.

Another question is, given that bad data caused by multiple utility programs does happen, are we certain that the multipliers, for example, that seem to change when waking from Sleep, have really been applied to the CPU? I am NOT saying they aren't, I don't know yet. My point it we are depending on tools that may have a problem, so how to we know what the multipliers are really set to?

After exiting sleep mode and running, for example, BF3, there's a noticeable fps loss. As well, if I run AIDA64 and test memory, I can see performance loss too.

So, it indicates that, indeed, cpu multiplier is stuck and won't increase at all if I don't restart Windows.

AXTU requires the user to apply any changes to the CPU multiplier, etc, so is it applying settings by itself for some reason, and using random or bad data?

It looks like that, somehow, AXTU is interfering with bios settings as soon as I exit the sleep mode.

Or is it somehow applying the last multiplier values it read before the PC entered Sleep?

That's a possibility. But there isn't a proper way to confirm that.

I'll test this potential issue if you just describe the situation clearly for me so I can duplicate it.

Install AXTU and set it to run in startup. Please, load UEFI default values, set the cpu fan 1/2 to automatic mode and choose target temp and speed. Also, set the XMP profile for RAM. At last, disable Intel Rapid and Intel Smart Connect.

Test 1:
    1. After loading Windows, open AXTU (double click on tray icon). Minimize it if you wish.
    2. Run HWiNFO64, check the CPU settings and close it.
    3. Enter sleep mode and wait a minute before waking the system up.
    4. Exit sleep mode
    5. Run HWiNFO64 again.

By doing that, my system reports 37x as turbo multiplier instead of 38x.

Test 2:
    1. After loading Windows, open AXTU (double click on tray icon). Minimize it if you wish.
    2. Run AIDA64, check the CPU settings, run memory read or write test and close it. You can also run the stability test.
    3. Enter sleep mode and wait a minute before waking the system up.
    4. Exit sleep mode
    5. Run AIDA64 again and do the same tests.
    6. Run HWiNFO64 and check the CPU settings

By doing that, my system reports 36x as turbo multiplier instead of 38x. HWiNFO64 reports that value.

Test 3 (this one requires, sometimes, entering and exiting sleep mode twice):

1. After loading Windows, open AXTU.
    2. Click on the overclocking option. Don't do any changes and don't click on apply or discard.
    3. Go back to the monitoring page and minimize AXTU.
    4. Enter sleep mode
    and wait a minute before waking the system up.
    5. Exit sleep mode.
    6. Double click on the AXTU tray icon.
    7. Run HWiNFO64 and check the CPU settings.

By doing that, the cpu multiplier gets stuck @16x. I feel fps loss while running BF3 and AIDA64 memory test report performance decrease.

Thanks again and sorry for any language mistakes.

EDIT: bios version is 2.80... board was bought with it already installed.

Last edited by alexandrebr; 04-12-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    XFX HD6870
    Win7 x64 Ultimate

alexandrebr, Your English is just fine, I understand you completely.

Before your last post, I did my own test. HWiNFO64 was running, and I had AXTU running, although I did not have it minimized. I then went into Sleep, and woke the PC about two hours later. My CPU configuration is: Turbo multiplier set to 44. SpeedStep is enabled, and C1E and other C States enabled, including C6. So normally my core speeds will change between 1600MHz and 4400MHz, depending on the load on the CPU. I use the same board and CPU that you do, UEFI/BIOS version 2.80. Before entering Sleep, the core speeds were changing between 1600MHz (multiplier of 16) and 4400MHz (multiplier of 44), and I also see core speeds between those two speeds.

After waking from Sleep, with HWiNFO64 and AXTU still running, all my multipliers were stuck at 16, or 1600MHz. I exited HWiNFO64, and started it again, and still had the stuck multiplier of 16/1600MHz.

Since I wondered if HWiNFO64, etc, was getting bad data, I started a CPU stress testing program called Intel Burn Test (IBT). I've used this in the past, and I have results that show the CPU performance. I know that when running IBT, with the CPU configuration I listed above, all the cores run at 44/4400MHz, core usage usually at 100%, the core and CPU temps increase to over twice their idle temperature (~30C to ~70C), and the CPU power usage increases from idle at ~6w - 9w, to over 75W.

So I ran IBT with the multipliers apparently locked at 16/1600MHz. The cores stayed at 16/1600MHz, at 100% usage. Core temps were all below 40C max, average ~35C. CPU power usage was 23W maximum. IBT measures CPU GFLOPS (Giga-Floating point Operations Per Second), and with the multiplier locked to 16/1600MHz, I had 44 GFLOPS max. With the multipliers normally running at 44/4400MHz, my saved results were between 110 - 120 GFLOPS.

So it sure looks like the CPU multiplier can get stuck at 16/1600MHz, when AXTU is running when the PC is put to Sleep, and then woken up. Why I don't know, but I'll check a few things and see what I can find. Of course, we would love to see what the multiplier is set to in the UEFI/BIOS when this happens, but a restart will reset things, as you said. It looks like there is some issue here, but let me try it a few times.

Thank you very much, parsec. That was driving me crazy and I started thinking my rig had problems. Anyway, I'm waiting for your tests.

In addition, not having AXTU results in a problem for me because I can't control the cpu fan with any other software. Speedfan, AIDA64, HWiNFO64, none of them detect the CPU FAN if AXTU isn't installed.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    XFX HD6870
    Win7 x64 Ultimate

Well, I doubt there would be any differences with me trying the tests you listed, since I'm sure the results would be the same. There is nothing wrong with your board, it's just an issue with AXTU running when the PC Sleeps and wakes. The main thing to check is what the CPU multiplier is set to in AXTU before and after Sleep. I'll see a multiplier of 44 in AXTU before Sleep, and after it is set to 16.

Why the multiplier is different when running AIDA, or having HWiNFO64 not running, does not really matter IMO, the main issue is AXTU causes the CPU multiplier to change when it is running, and the PC Sleeps and wakes. All we can do for now is quit AXTU before Sleep. I started Sleep with only HWiNFO64 running, and when it woke, the multipliers were fine.

We now just need to get ASR's attention about this.

The thing is: considering AXTU main purpose is overclocking, will Asrock pay attention to that problem?

I don't really know.

Anyway I have uninstalled AXTU. I'm not the only one who uses the desktop. Obviously my sisters won't remember closing AXTU before entering sleep mode and I'll have to restart OS to solve the issue.

So, it seems better, at the momment, not having AXTU and not monitoring and controlling the fans, mainly the CPU one.

Do you know if Asrock takes a look at the issues reported here on Tweaktown?
    Last edited by alexandrebr; 04-13-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    XFX HD6870
    Win7 x64 Ultimate

You don't need to uninstall AXTU. You must have the "Auto run on start up" option checked, at the bottom of the AXTU screen. Uncheck that and run it when you need it, and when done, exit. That's how I use it, and use HWiNFO for my monitor, not that your sister will want that on her screen, right? That is why I never noticed this before, I don't have it running constantly, and I've seen monitoring programs act weird when they are left on during Sleep.

Whatever settings you apply with AXTU will still be valid when it exits. Plus when someone else is using the PC, you could set it to stock multipliers and it will run cooler, and they will never notice.

ASRock does monitor this forum, but who knows if they will consider this a major issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information