Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Cannot see PCIe SATA Expansion Card

Default Cannot see PCIe SATA Expansion Card

Hello,

I own an ASRock Z77 Extreme9 motherboard and need a hand figuring out if there is a solution to what I believe is a possible compatibility problem.

I recently purchased a HighPoint Rocket 640L 4 port PCIe expansion card to add additional drives to my system.

I thought the first card was DOA so I RMA'd it, but when the second one didn't work I tested it successfully in two other computers, one UEFI and one traditional BIOS so I know it's not a UEFI problem.

I have tried resetting the UEFI BIOS and but the motherboard device browser still lists the PCIe slot I connect the card to as empty. I have tried 3 other PCIe slots as well with no luck.

While a BIOS download is available for the Rocket 640L from HighPoint's website, there are no instructions nor a version number to show me how or whether I need to upgrade the card BIOS. I also found no firmware downloads.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, or where I should continue debugging from?

Thanks,

~Casey

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Cannot see PCIe SATA Expansion Card

Is your system currently booting in AHCI or Raid mode?
    After you physically installed the card, did you attach any sata drives to the card?
    Did you also install a sata power cable to each drive?
    Are any of the attached drives bigger than 2TB?
    Are there any problem devices in windows Device Manager, such as a yellow exclamation mark?

Did you install the card in an x4, x8, or x16 pci-e slot?
    The specifications say: PCI-Express 2.0 x1 (Compatible with PCI-Express 1.0)
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

The update looks like you'll need a bootable DOS CD/DVD/USB and simply place the go.bat and bin dir on it.

Pressing CTRL+M at boot should land you in the cards config where the current version is displayed.

I'd email HighPoint and ask of the bootable DOS disc before proceeding.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Also, in the cards config, what does the "Configure SATA as" report? Is this user changeable?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I contacted HighPoint as well, but last time they took 4 days to respond and asked the same basic questions so I thought I would try here for other options while waiting.

They did just respond this afternoon, they gave me the latest BIOS from the manufacturer and told me to try flashing it with DOS.

Since my system cannot see the card I cannot flash the card, I have a legacy system that I can pull the GPU out of the single PCIe slot and connect the SATA card to and connect a PCI graphics card into to get to the interface. However, I tried that with USBDOS and the system could not boot from it (maybe I did something wrong?). Can anyone point me at some instructions on burning a DOS CD with additional contents on it?

@profJim

I use ACHI, I do not have any RAID configured at the moment.

When I connected the first card (untested and RMA'd) I connected with and without drives and saw no changes. As far as I know the same problem could have existed and the card was functional just not in my machine.

I have a lot of drives, all powered and functional with the onboard, I used those during the install test, so yes they were powered.

The drives were 3x 1TB WD and 1x 500GB Seagate laptop sized.

I do not run Windows, I run Linux /w Xen. The lspci prints out no changes (no extra devices from prior to connecting it), so no "exclamation marks" have been had; an unidentified device would be a godsend. Instead when I load the UEFI BIOS and use the hardware browser it shows my GPU but sees any slot I plug the SATA card into as "empty".

The card form factor claims 4x speeds, but from reports delivers 1x speeds, and requires a 4x sized PCIe bay. My board has a few 1x and a boatload of 16x (some running at 8x), so I only had 16x sized slots to connect it to. It worked fine in a 16x on an old computer.

@-wardog-

I did try, but the USB was unable to boot, and my main (modern) system can't even see the card.

The UEFI system I had it tested in belongs to my college, I don't have access to it to perform the updates. I was able to get it working in a legacy system with a lot of extra effort and part swapping.

When I boot that system both before and after installing the Windows drivers there is no ctrl+m option during boot time. That system is already running an onboard RAID10 with 4x 320GB WD drives, not sure if that would interfere. I cannot reach the cards config at boot time so I don't have an answer to your last question.

The MSU installed a command line utility and there were commands to update the software from there as well, but no dice, everytime I tried it threw an error message. Perhaps it was looking for a specific file format and not the "image" file that downloaded.

I tried the USBDOS but the legacy system couldn't see or boot from it, no clue why. If I can get a CD I will try that instead.

---

If I figure out the CD DOS I will post an update, but feel free to send alternatives if you know of any. I would like nothing more than to leave my legacy system on its shelf and not tinker in it again.

Ok, you are running the onboard controller in RAID. That there is most likely why you're experiencing what you are. Commonly seen problem, two RAID controllers, onboard and add-in card.

Casey, did they link you to a file that isn't available from the Support pages like the person below your post on NewEgg?

The easiest means to make a USB stick that you can move the update files onto and run go.bat afterwards is found at Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way . Make sure and grab the file there that includes the FreeDOS boot files.

@Everyone

Thanks to those who replied, I figured out the cause of my problem was a classic "did you read the manual" error, which I did but I never finished.

ASRock Z77 Extreme9 features seven PCIe slots, and recommends using Slot 2 for a single GPU. The line below this recommendation says slots 1, 3, 5, and 7 are disabled when Slot 2 is in use. Because Slot 4 is right next to the GPU fans I did not test this slot originally for fear of cables getting caught in them. Turns out that slot worked.

I moved my GPU to slot 1, and all the other 16x slots work for the card now.

---

Before reaching this conclusion I pulled my legacy PC off the shelf again and built the DOS CD with the BIOS files supplied.

I followed these instructions to create the CD:
    Bios-boot-cd - Howto: BIOS-Update per bootable CD - biosflash.com

The boot CD worked and I was able to reach DOS, but the supplied "go.bat" failed to execute any of the commands it had in its documentation. Turns out the go script is really just a simple layer in front of the exe, and I decyphered the right command and ran it to get the flash to work:

Code:
        cd bin
        MVF_MAG.EXE IMAGE -newImg -y
    After rebooting I confirmed from the WebGUI that the update had been performed.

---

@-wardog-

My Z77 is not configured for RAID, my Legacy PC which saw the card just fine was. This was not the cause of my problem. Also, as a Linux user I would have used mdadm which works just fine with AHCI for the SATA controller setting.

The download supplied by the HighPoint representative had a different named file (not BIOS.rar), and came with documentation not in the download off the website. However neither set of files list a version anywhere, so they could be the same version for all I know.

Also, the flash updates the BIOS, Firmware, and Bootloader versions, not just one of them, which is another confusing thing. The download says it is just a BIOS, but apparently it contains three different systems.

The card came with these versions:

BIOS: 1.0.0.1008
    Firmware: 2.3.0.1028
    Bootloader: 1.0.1.1002

After the patch I had these versions:

BIOS: 1.0.0.1013
    Firmware: 2.3.0.1046
    Bootloader: 2.1.0.1004

I have not yet tried accessible the ctrl+m menu as I am still retooling the system so I can hook all the cables back up. Let me know if you want me to check any settings there (for curiosity purposes).

---

Thanks again to everyone who replied to try to help me, and I apologize if I wasted your time. Hopefully this will help someone else save themselves from the same fate.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Glad to hear that you're making progress.

Next time don't forget one of the most important rules:
    _ When all else fails, RTFM
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information