Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASRock P67 Fatality Motherboard SATA Driver issues during Win 7 x64 install

Default ASRock P67 Fatality Motherboard SATA Driver issues during Win 7 x64 install

Purchased an ASRock P67 Fatality motherboard with an i2500k Core i5 CPU, with ASUS 7770 2GB PCI E graphics and Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB SATA II drive. I'm having issues with the install for Win 7 X64 not allowing the drivers for the SATA controller to install from the supplied driver disc. The disk drive is not recognized when the setup screen asks where to install the OS to. However, the HDD shows up on the BIOS. It asks to install drivers for the SATA, but none of them seem to be working. I don't have any idea what to do, any help would be appreciated

Default Re: ASRock P67 Fatality Motherboard SATA Driver issues during Win 7 x64 install

I don't believe you can install from the supplied CD.

There's a section in the manual that describes how to make an F6 driver disk, or you can download the SATA driver from the MB's download section and unpack it to a USB stick. Place the USB stick in a USB 2.0 slot at the MB's rear I/O and use the F6 method to access/install the driver(s) from.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Default Re: ASRock P67 Fatality Motherboard SATA Driver issues during Win 7 x64 install

Thanks for the prompt reply. I went to asrocks website and downloaded all drivers related to hdd and tried them all sequentially. None worked. Then I tried all the drivers llocated on the driver disc that came with the mobo. This did not work either. I was looking in the manual and there was an option to change SATA mode to enhanced or something and this appeared to fix another user's problem but in my UEFI screen there is no such option. I am literally stumped

therube is offline Member

(Not familiar with your board ...)

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

AFAIK if you are using AHCI (preferred, or IDE) mode for your HDDs, you should not need any driver (with Win7).
    If you are going to use RAID, then you will.

The drivers would need to be copied onto a "floppy" disk.
    (Make no sense to me why that would still be a requirement in this day, but suppose that is an issue with Windows?)

In the past, I had been able to use a USB Flash drive - that identified itself as both a Floppy & an USB device, to install drivers. With my recent install (different board) when attempting to install Win XP (& wanting AHCI, drivers necessary for XP in that case) my USB Flash drive was not being recognized by the Windows install at the F6 point. Had no "floppy" drive so I skipped XP altogether.

Suppose this is your board, Fatal1ty P67 Performance?
    And what it says about "drivers", ASRock - SATA RAID Driver Installation Guide.

AFAIK having the drivers on your HDD or having them on a FAT32 formatted flash drive (like you can with a BIOS update) will not work.
    Last edited by therube; 04-16-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Sorry if I haven't been explaining this well enough. Basically I'm trying to install windows 7 but when prompted to provide a place for it to be installed, the hdd doesn't show up. The screen that pops up next tells me to locate drivers for this device and none of the asrock provided drivers seem to be working.

parsec is offline Senior Member

As therube asked, do you have a P67 Fatality Pro or Performance? You did not specify, and it matters. I'm guessing from your issue, you have the Pro version.

The Pro version has two separate SATA controllers, the main Intel and the extra Marvell. I'm guessing you have your HDD connected to one of the four black SATA ports on the board, which are for the Marvell controller. That would be the reason for your problem.

You really need to verify which board you have, and verify which SATA port your HDD is connected to, before we can continue.

Also, check what BIOS version your board has, which matters depending on your CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by therube View Post
    (Not familiar with your board ...)

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

AFAIK if you are using AHCI (preferred, or IDE) mode for your HDDs, you should not need any driver (with Win7).
    If you are going to use RAID, then you will.

The drivers would need to be copied onto a "floppy" disk.
    (Make no sense to me why that would still be a requirement in this day, but suppose that is an issue with Windows?)

In the past, I had been able to use a USB Flash drive - that identified itself as both a Floppy & an USB device, to install drivers. With my recent install (different board) when attempting to install Win XP (& wanting AHCI, drivers necessary for XP in that case) my USB Flash drive was not being recognized by the Windows install at the F6 point. Had no "floppy" drive so I skipped XP altogether.

Suppose this is your board, Fatal1ty P67 Performance?
    And what it says about "drivers", ASRock - SATA RAID Driver Installation Guide.

AFAIK having the drivers on your HDD or having them on a FAT32 formatted flash drive (like you can with a BIOS update) will not work.
    You are correct about not needing any drivers, if using Windows 7, if the Intel SATA controller is being used. Actually, if using the Intel SATA controller with Window 7, you do not need to load a driver if in RAID mode, Windows 7 has one built in. You may prefer to load your own, since the one Windows 7 has is no doubt an older version. The Marvell controller is another story, in the case of a new board and OS installation.

BTW, the "F6 floppy" drivers are meant to be put on a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive, that works fine with Windows 7, and is the standard procedure. The "F6 floppy" terminology is an unfortunate carry over from the old days, why it is still used (even by Intel, etc) today is beyond me.

If Windows is asking for drivers, as in the OP's case, he probably has his HDD connected to the Marvell controller.

It is indeed the P67 pro. I had the hdd plugged into one of the black SATA ports, although I have tried one of the red ones and it did not work

You must use one of the red, Intel SATA controller ports, do not use the black ones. What are you using for the Windows 7 installation, CD, USB drive? If from a CD/DVD, connect the optical drive to one of the red SATA ports at the bottom of the stack of ports.

At this point, you should clear the CMOS/BIOS before continuing, to start with default values. The SATA mode in the BIOS should be set to AHCI, if it is IDE, change it so AHCI.

Is your HDD new, or used in the past? If it is new, you might want to try the HDD in another PC and initialize and format it. Actually, if it has been used before, you should format it to remove any old Windows installations, etc.

You really should not need to load any drivers as long as you have your HDD and optical disk connected to the red Intel SATA ports. If you are being prompted for that, something is wrong. Even when I have installed Windows 7 in RAID mode, I was never prompted for drivers, although that option was on the screen. The prompt for drivers may be related to your disk not being seen by Windows, which is strange.

OK...thanks for the help guys, but I'm still not getting anywhere. I've tried plugging the hdd iinto all of the red SATA ports. I'm using an external USB DVD drive to install windows? In the uefi boot order screen, the disc drive shows up twice as being USB and also UEFI. Is this relevant? Should I try an internal drive?
    Also I probably should have said this before, but the specific drivers they are asking for are for the CD/DVD drive so maybe I just need a specific driver for this DVD drive? The dvd drive is a HP PA509A#ABA.

EDIT:Just now got past the screen asking for CD/DVD drivers, and now i'm like on the last step of "Collecting Information". And ironically enough, it's now asking for mass storage drivers.
    Last edited by incahoots123; 04-17-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information