Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot power up H77 Pro4/MVP system

westonpk is offline Junior Member

Default Cannot power up H77 Pro4/MVP system

I cannot power up the system I am building with the following equipment:

• ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77 motherboard
    • Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core cpu
    • Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 ram (32 GB)
    • Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" hard drive
    • GIGABYTE GV-N650OC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    • Antec Eleven Hundred case
    • Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply
    • Antec TrueQuiet 120 120mm Case Fan (4)
    • LITE-ON DVD Burner Model iHAS124-04
    • Rosewill Single Parallel (SPP/PS2/EPP/ECP) Universal Low-Profile PCI card Model RC-302

So far, I have:
    • installed the motherboard and power supply in the case
    • installed the cpu, ram, video card and parallel port card in the motherboard
    • attached all the case connectors (USB2, USB3, switches, sound) to the motherboard
    • installed two additional case fans and connected them to 4-pin connectors from the power supply
    • attached the 8-pin and 24-pin power connectors to the motherboard. The 8-pin connector is split into 4 & 4, and the 24-pin connector is split into 20 & 4.

I tried powering up the system to see if the fans would at least work before going further, but nothing happened. And yes, I checked the position of the on-off switch on the power supply.

I've checked everything against the motherboard and case manuals over and over, even using a magnifying class to check the mouse-print on the motherboard. I've reset all the connectors, but the system still won't power up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what to check and how to check it.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Cannot power up H77 Pro4/MVP system

Are these all new parts, never used before? Particularly the case and power supply. It could be something as simple as a bad power switch or wiring on the case.

To test that, remove the two connectors for the case power switch on the mother board connection header, and with the power supply turned on, use a blade screwdriver to carefully short circuit those two pins on the header. If the power supply is good, and the board, the system will start, meaning any fans (you did not mention a CPU cooler). Just turn off the power supply to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Are these all new parts, never used before? Particularly the case and power supply. It could be something as simple as a bad power switch or wiring on the case.

To test that, remove the two connectors for the case power switch on the mother board connection header, and with the power supply turned on, use a blade screwdriver to carefully short circuit those two pins on the header. If the power supply is good, and the board, the system will start, meaning any fans (you did not mention a CPU cooler). Just turn off the power supply to stop.
    Everything is new.

Nothing happened when I shorted out the power switch pins. I installed the stock retail box cpu cooler, and it just sat there, as did the standard pre-installed case fan.

There is a reset button connector, and reset button pins, but no separate reset button. Is that supposed to be a function of the power switch?

How do I distinguish between the power supply and the motherboard?

therube is offline Member

There is a reset button connector, and reset button pins, but no separate reset button. Is that supposed to be a function of the power switch?
    Not sure what you mean?
    Looks like the 1100 has the power button on the case top & just behind it, a smaller reset button?
    And the board should have pinning for both the Power & Reset cables.
    (A case need not necessarily have a reset button.)

Verify that you have connected the PWR Sw cable correctly to the pins on the M/B.

Otherwise remove (disconnect) everything except for PS, CPU & HSF, 1 stick of RAM, video card, & cabling (24-pin, 8-pin, HSF cable to M/B) to go along with that & see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by therube View Post
    Not sure what you mean?
    Looks like the 1100 has the power button on the case top & just behind it, a smaller reset button?
    And the board should have pinning for both the Power & Reset cables.
    (A case need not necessarily have a reset button.)

Verify that you have connected the PWR Sw cable correctly to the pins on the M/B.

Otherwise remove (disconnect) everything except for PS, CPU & HSF, 1 stick of RAM, video card, & cabling (24-pin, 8-pin, HSF cable to M/B) to go along with that & see what happens.
    My bad. I checked the pdf manual for the Eleven Hundred case, and there is a reset button.

I reconnected the power switch and the other front panel connectors, verifying connector orientation. If there was not a specific "+" or "-", I assumed the black wire was negative/ground. I disconnected the additional case fans. Still nothing when I tried to power up the system.

I also tried rearranging the ram modules, based on the motherboard manual. The motherboard requires either 2 or 4 sticks installed - slots A1-B1, A2-B2, or A1-A2-B1-B2. I arranged my 4 sticks of ram into 6 "different" pairs that I tried in A1-B1 and A2-B2. Nothing made a difference.

Finally, I added a power connection to my video card, but, again, nothing. At least everything's consistent.

Any way to test the power supply short of taking it to a computer repair shop?

Yes, you can test the PS. You will need to remove the 24 pin main PS connector from the board, and the eight pin CPU power connector from the board. Actually, you should disconnect all the power cables from components in the case.

You will need to connect one or more fans to the PS, with the four pin "molex" power connector from the PS. Hopefully you have some four pin molex to three pin fan adapters to do this. The fan(s) may be in the case, or carefully standing on a stable surface.

With the PS plugged in and turned on, you will then need to find the green wire among the 24 wires running to the 24 pin connector. Using a paper clip, or short piece of wire, you then short the metal connector connected to the green wire, to one of the metal connectors with a black wire, which is ground.

Here is an article about that, with some pictures:

The Power Supply Paperclip Test | OutletPC.com Blog

You can search (Google) on "testing a pc power supply paperclip" for more examples, including videos.

The article just checks for the PS fan to start, but it is better to have a load on the PS, which is the purpose of the fan(s) I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes, you can test the PS. You will need to remove the 24 pin main PS connector from the board, and the eight pin CPU power connector from the board. Actually, you should disconnect all the power cables from components in the case.

You will need to connect one or more fans to the PS, with the four pin "molex" power connector from the PS. Hopefully you have some four pin molex to three pin fan adapters to do this. The fan(s) may be in the case, or carefully standing on a stable surface.

With the PS plugged in and turned on, you will then need to find the green wire among the 24 wires running to the 24 pin connector. Using a paper clip, or short piece of wire, you then short the metal connector connected to the green wire, to one of the metal connectors with a black wire, which is ground.

Here is an article about that, with some pictures:

The Power Supply Paperclip Test | OutletPC.com Blog

You can search (Google) on "testing a pc power supply paperclip" for more examples, including videos.

The article just checks for the PS fan to start, but it is better to have a load on the PS, which is the purpose of the fan(s) I mentioned.
    Sounds like a plan. What are the chances of big blue flashes, self-tasering, and voided warranties?

The PS paperclip test is a standard DIY procedure, that you will find listed thousands of times in a Google search. If you are not color blind, and careful finding the green wire, and a black ground wire, you should be fine.

The green wire and a ground are connected to the pins on the mobo header that you connect the leads from the case's power switch. All you are doing is shorting the two power switch pins, but directly at the PS connector to the mobo. Any incorrect connections, like 12V power to ground, will then test the PS's safety features, scare you with sparks, or heat up the paperclip. You don't need to maintain the connection between those two wires, just connect then for a moment, which is the same thing the power switch does.

I have the same problem here.
    A week ago the system worked fine.
    I have already replaced the power supply without result.
    When I reset the bios (jumper CLRCMOS1) the system powered up but doens't boot.

First, thanks to everyone for helping me get this far.

I ran the paperclip test. Good news, bad news.

I connected two case fans to molex connectors, inserted the paper clip, connected the power cord, and flipped the on-off switch on the power supply. Both fans turned. Good news.

The problem is somewhere in my motherboard, or in the front panel switches. Bad news.

When I tried shorting out the power switch connector pins before, nothing happened.

Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information