Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock extreme6 z77 wont power on?

Default Asrock extreme6 z77 wont power on?

Hey guys, so i am in the process of building my first computer, and all i currently have is the mobo, ram, and case. I just wanted to check if the motherboard is recieving power, so i borrowed my friends PSU to see if the motherboard works. Unfortunately, i am not getting any lights on the mobo (which is the only thing i was really looking for see pic) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6Wy5vdmUo0...0/CIMG6093.jpg. Then i tried to look for a led light and couldnt find one. My biggest fear is that its a DOA, but im not sure if im troubleshooting it correctly: do i need a CPU in the socket to complete a power test through the mobo? what would be the easiest way to test if the motherboard is atleast semi-working? The only thing i do not have is a CPU to plug into. I can borrow other parts from other people if needed.

hopefully i am making sense. let me know if you guys need more info.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Asrock extreme6 z77 wont power on?

Set your motherboard on a cardboard box when you are powering on your motherboard.
    Do NOT place your motherboard on the anti-static bag or an anti-static mat when you power on your motherboard.

You need a cpu for the motherboard to try to boot.
    You also need the ATX_12V 4-pin or EP12V 8-pin power supply cable plugged in to your motherboard.

---> Carefully read and follow the motherboard user manual installation steps, aka RTFM!!

Only install one memory module in the correct motherboard slot.
    Do NOT install your video card until everything checks out.

I prefer to break-in a new power supply for 1/2 hour or longer with the psu only powering several fans.
    You will need to do a web search on psu paperclip test to turn on and run your power supply when it is not connected to the motherboard.

Be very careful when jumpering any motherboard pins or the 24-pin psu cable.

Even without a cpu, you might get some beep error codes from an attached case speaker.
    Read about the DR Debug LED codes in the user manual so that you don't panic when an error code is displayed.

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    Good luck! We're here to help as long as you don't fry your motherboard.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Set your motherboard on a cardboard box when you are powering on your motherboard.
    Do NOT place your motherboard on the anti-static bag or an anti-static mat when you power on your motherboard.

You need a cpu for the motherboard to try to boot.
    You also need the ATX_12V 4-pin or EP12V 8-pin power supply cable plugged in to your motherboard.

---> Carefully read and follow the motherboard user manual installation steps, aka RTFM!!

Only install one memory module in the correct motherboard slot.
    Do NOT install your video card until everything checks out.

I prefer to break-in a new power supply for 1/2 hour or longer with the psu only powering several fans.
    You will need to do a web search on psu paperclip test to turn on and run your power supply when it is not connected to the motherboard.

Be very careful when jumpering any motherboard pins or the 24-pin psu cable.

Even without a cpu, you might get some beep error codes from an attached case speaker.
    Read about the DR Debug LED codes in the user manual so that you don't panic when an error code is displayed.

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    Good luck! We're here to help as long as you don't fry your motherboard.

thanks for the info.

So im not going to fully update my specs yet since im using a friends PSU. But heres what i have/know right now:

I tested the motherboard while it was in the case.
    the RAM i have is G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8gb) RAM @ 1866Mhz (but when i tested the mobo, i did not have any ram plugged in)
    the PSU that i used to test is the thermaltake tr2 430 and i only plugged in the 24pin to the PSU, not the 8-pin
    i did do the paperclip test on the PSU and it worked fine. the PSU also works fine in my friends main system.
    when i plugged it in, i did not get any beeps or anything on the LED at all (i do have a speaker plugged in)

that is all i have at the moment. i mean, if anything, i can return it, but, i want to make sure for a 100% it is DOA

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

"You also need the ATX_12V 4-pin or EP12V 8-pin power supply cable plugged in to your motherboard."
    You MUST connect one of the above wires to your motherboard for it to try to boot or at least partially come to life.
    Your 430 watt psu probably only has the 4-pin ATX_12V power cable. Read the manual to see which of the 2x2 sockets on the motherboard that should be used.
    With your psu properly connected to the motherboard, you should get an LED error code depending on which hardware is not installed.

You're running the risk of possibly damaging your system if you think that everyday common sense is good enough.
    Remember, a little knowledge can be dangerous. RTFM

Can you borrow a low end Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge cpu and heatsink to test with?
    You need to be very careful that you don't bend any cpu socket pins.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

therube is offline Member

Why, conductive?

Antistatic bag
    To create the anti-static effect, the black or silver bags are slightly conductive, forming a Faraday cage around the item to be protected and preventing any localized charges from being deposited onto the protected devices as the bags are handled.
    Is it OK to have M/B on anti-static bag while building the board - not powered on.

i put the foam that the mobo was sitting on in the box on top of the box sit the static bag on top of that and then mount my hsf

parsec is offline Senior Member

The anti-static bag is conductive, yes, so is NOT an insulator. It is fine or even preferred for use building a board, as long as no power is applied to the board.

Unfortunately, most mother boards that have been removed from power, like fresh out of the box, and are then connected to power, with PS turned on, will NOT turn on their power LED. After an initial power-up, the LED will stay on as long as the PS is on. But turn off the PS, let it discharge, and turn it on again, and no LED on the board.

You also must start the board, power it up, they don't start just because the PS is connected to it and turned on. How are you turning on the board?

One LED glowing on the board is miles away from indicating the board is fine. Your fear of DOA is not warranted, unless you bought it from fleaBay, etc.

The board will do nothing until a CPU and memory are installed, no lights, beeps, nothing. Yes, you must pay your dues by at least partially building the PC before you can see if it works. Personally, I'd be afraid to connect a board to power without the major components like the CPU and memory installed.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The anti-static bag is conductive, yes, so is NOT an insulator. It is fine or even preferred for use building a board, as long as no power is applied to the board.

Unfortunately, most mother boards that have been removed from power, like fresh out of the box, and are then connected to power, with PS turned on, will NOT turn on their power LED. After an initial power-up, the LED will stay on as long as the PS is on. But turn off the PS, let it discharge, and turn it on again, and no LED on the board.

You also must start the board, power it up, they don't start just because the PS is connected to it and turned on. How are you turning on the board?

One LED glowing on the board is miles away from indicating the board is fine. Your fear of DOA is not warranted, unless you bought it from fleaBay, etc.

The board will do nothing until a CPU and memory are installed, no lights, beeps, nothing. Yes, you must pay your dues by at least partially building the PC before you can see if it works. Personally, I'd be afraid to connect a board to power without the major components like the CPU and memory installed.
    Just wanted to update on what happened to the mobo, I borrowed a friends CPU (which was a Intel Celeron G1610 Ivy Bridge) plus a PS (a Corsair HX 650), with the Gskill memory (all parts have been tested to work prior). We set it up in my computer case, and when we tried to turn it on, nothing happened, No POST beeps (since i had the mobo speaker plugged in), no LED's, nothing was powering on. I ended up returning it since it was within the 30-day purchase period.

here were all the components that were plugged in during the test:
    Intel 520 120GB SSD
    Corsair HX 650W PSU
    Intel Celeron G1610 Ivy Bridge
    G. Skill 8GB (1 x 8) DDR3 @ 1866 MHZ
    CM Hyper EVO 212 heatsink
    Generic Dell mouse & keyboard
    Dell U2312hm monitor

Thanks for all the help. Atleast this experience made me understand MOBO's in a much greater sense, plus i got to read the whole manual for this mobo. Im excited for the replacement to get here since that is when i will also have my own CPU and PSU. :) Cheers.
    Last edited by 3demons; 04-29-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Thread Information