Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z75 Pro 3 -- win7 x64 wants DVD drivers when installing from DVD

Default Asrock Z75 Pro 3 -- win7 x64 wants DVD drivers when installing from DVD

I have seen others on the web having this problem but I have yet to find a solution that works for me. I have a new build - an Asrock Z75 Pro 3, Intel i5 3350P, 2x4G PC1600 Corsair RAM, SATA III SSD (on SATA0) and a Lightscribe Writeable DVD on SATA2. When I boot from the DVD ROM, Win 7 x64 starts install but after question #1 (location) it says that it can't find drivers for the CD/DVD ROM.

it says this even though install was initiated through said DVD ROM

It gives me the opportunity to insert the Mobo driver disc, which I do, and it finds a driver. Unfortunately, the drivers never work. I have tried this with SATA operating in IDE, AHCI, and RAID modes. When trying IDE, there are no drivers found on the CD, and the other two modes, different drivers are identified for the SATA controller, with the same results: no new devices were found.

It's very sad to not even get to the point of an install where Windows admits that it can find the DVD ROM it came from. Any ideas? I searched the forum here but didn't see anything similar.

therube is offline Member

Default Re: Asrock Z75 Pro 3 -- win7 x64 wants DVD drivers when installing from DVD

Are you using F11/F12 Boot Menu to select the DVD as the boot device?
    If so, try changing the boot order in the BIOS instead so that the DVD is the first device looked at.

Default Re: Asrock Z75 Pro 3 -- win7 x64 wants DVD drivers when installing from DVD

@therube - I appreciate the suggestion. I have changed the boot order and it actually was (is) booting from the DVD fine. It gets into the Windows 7 setup before it asks for drivers.

update:
    It is not very specific about the actual device it needs drivers for. It does say it wants drivers for a CD/DVD ROM, it asks for CD/DVD drivers even when it is booting from a USB drive, and even when there is no DVD ROM plugged in.

I can't find any drivers on the Mobo support disk that will change anything and Win7 gives zilch in the way of a meaningful message. Wait, zilch would imply that the message it was displaying didn't make diagnosis any harder, which I as of now, it does. I am wondering now whether the problem is that Win7 can't find a disk to install to? The SSD I am is a Samsung 840. BIOS finds it fine. Win7 even finds it when I go into the command prompt using the "repair" part of the install disk and do DISKPART.

This is incredibly frustrating as it does not seem to me like this setup is unusual in the least. I appreciate any insight anyone else might have.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It's surprising that Windows needs drivers for the DVD drive, what manufacture and model is it?

I would not expect the mother board disk to have drivers for the DVD drive. The error when using a USB drive is strange, and tells me something else is wrong.

I suggest you clear the BIOS/CMOS, with the jumper on the board, with the DVD drive disconnected from the PC. When that is complete, try the installation again with the USB drive.

Any idea what BIOS version your board has? That should be on a sticker on the BIOS chip, that is between the SATA III and SATA II ports. Your CPU needs BIOS version 1.40 or later.

@parsec - Thanks for your detailed suggestions. It is a very odd scenario, since when did optical drives require drivers. Here is the message:

"A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. I f you have a driver floppy disk, CD/DVD or USN Drive, please insert it now."

Resolution

So, I am relieved to have resolved the problem, but it's not a very satisfying answer (in my case). I am going to document it here since it seems a lot of people are seeing this thread and it may help others to save some time and headache. The solution was (to me) not very intuitive.

I went to the Microsoft web site and downloaded one of their ISOs, used their "USB/DVD download tool", and installed from the DVD it created.

A bit of detail -- I was originally trying to install from an ISO of Win7 x64 Enterprise Edition with SP1 that is provided by my academic institution for faculty and staff. We have a site license and so it would be free if I used that. I tried burning it to DVD with Alocohol 120% (which littered another computer of mine with Malware). When that did not work, I created a bootable thumb drive from a fresh download of the ISO. Same exact problem. The microsoft site actually has page about to the message:
    "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" or "A media driver your computer needs is missing" error message when you try to install Windows by using a Windows installation DVD or ISO file

On this page, they blame the media or suggest that maybe you pulled the DVD out of the drive during installation and that it did not occur to you that this was the problem.

I have also seen many, many other threads suggesting solutions which did not work for me, including "only install Enterprise edition", which is the opposite of the solution for me. Here I will summarize what I can remember seeing, in case it will help anyone else:

• provide drivers for the SATA controller from USB or DVD
    • set the SATA mode to "IDE" in BIOS (seemed to have worked for a couple of people)
    • partition and format the disk you want to install to in DISKPART (access this from command line in "repair mode"), then try install (no direct evidence that this ever worked for anyone)
    • make a bootable USB drive and install from that (seemed to have worked for a couple of people)
    • update firmware/BIOS and or clear BIOS (seems like this was not the solution on any page I read)

This page has a helpful observation:
    Windows 7 installation - missing cd/dvd driver - HP Support Forum - 126416

This corresponds to my experience. The ISO which failed for me had a Windows 2000-like progress bar (see http://winsupersite.com/site-files/w..._install16.gif). The one which succeeded had a windows logo and a solid progress bar. It seems there are numerous versions and only some of them will work with different configurations. The error message is worse than meaningless - it leads you to believe you can configure or driver your way out of it but that was not the case for e. Microsoft's support page seems to be trying to nudge you the solution without admitting there are a million different ISOs out there and which one works is anybody's guess.

Executive summary: if you are having this problem, attempt to download a new ISO from Microsoft. They allow this free of charge and you have 30 days to activate. Whether or not you decide to buy the version of Windows that you install it seems to me to be the most reliable solution. Once you confirm that you can have a working install, you can rule out many more troublesome issues and work on getting the specific install you want running (if it's possible).

therube is offline Member

From what I recall "Enterprise Edition" was the only version not readily available for download (from direct links from digitalriver or wherever) & also only works with a VLK.

The ISO you downloaded that worked, which version was that?

@therube - Important detail. The version I downloaded was Home Premium. I did not see Enterprise on the list, either. If you aren't on a site license you probably don't need or have access to it? (my guess)

parsec is offline Senior Member

As therube pointed out, Windows 7 Enterprise is not available for download, and is likely kept under much greater restrictions than other versions.

My first question would be what form or media was the Windows 7 Enterprise ISO from your institution in? A file on HDD, or a DVD?

Windows 7 provides the capability to create a bootable disk from an ISO file, and using a non-Windows tool has caused the resulting disk to be useless. Even when created using two different DVD drives on Windows 7 installations. I suspect that is a piracy related safety feature, but for Microsoft's safety of course.

I would not be surprised if there were specific installation instructions for the special version of Windows available to you, which were overlooked over time.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    As therube pointed out, Windows 7 Enterprise is not available for download, and is likely kept under much greater restrictions than other versions.

My first question would be what form or media was the Windows 7 Enterprise ISO from your institution in? A file on HDD, or a DVD?

Windows 7 provides the capability to create a bootable disk from an ISO file, and using a non-Windows tool has caused the resulting disk to be useless. Even when created using two different DVD drives on Windows 7 installations. I suspect that is a piracy related safety feature, but for Microsoft's safety of course.

I would not be surprised if there were specific installation instructions for the special version of Windows available to you, which were overlooked over time.
    The ISO is downloadable from my institution to faculty and staff who are logged in. I have used the ISOs (Vista, Win7 x86, and Office) available there without issue in the past, by burning them to DVD or mounting them as virtual drives. Products can only be activated on the institution's subnet.

The Windows USB/DVD Download tool did not recognize the ISO and could not be used to make an image. If it is an anti-piracy "feature", it's not very well thought out because it makes Win7 look like a piece of crap.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

There are other ways to create a win7 bootable usb flash drive.
    Search for the HP usb tool and also search using windows 7 bootable usb
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information