Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIMM issue (Z77 Extreme4)

RyMann88 is offline Junior Member

Default DIMM issue (Z77 Extreme4)

Recently built my new PC, specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i5-3570k Quad Core @ 3.40GHz
    MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600
    Video: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Here is what my problem is:
    I installed all four RAM Sticks into the proper slots, the UEFI (currently up to date at Z77 Extreme4 P2.80). The system browser recognized that all four slots (A1, A2, B1 and B2) had the right memory installed. However, on the Home page, only A2 and B2 show the slots active and A1 and B1 show "None."

What I've tried:

Emptied A1 and B1 (left sticks installed in A2 and B2), restarted machine. Showed 8GB of memory available, which was expected (OS booted with no problems).
    Moved sticks into DIMM A1 and B1, UEFI displayed correctly, Hardware Browser displayed correctly, Home screen displayed correctly (OS Booted with no problems).
    Reoccupied all four slots again. Home screen only showed A2 and B2 as "active" but Hardware Browser listed all four DIMM Slots as occupied and recognized all four sticks (OS booted with no problems).

This has got me and a relative stumped. We ran a CPU diagnostic tool from Intel, passed 100%.

Just to clarify, this hasn't been completely dire for me, as 8GB of RAM is more than enough to game on at the moment, but I do plan to move all of my video editing software to this new machine sometime soon and the 16GB of RAM will go a long way (old machine only had 6GB, so you can see why I'm slightly desperate to get this resolved).

Thanks in advance to any replies and suggestions. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

EDIT 1: I went into the UEFI and adjusted the DRAM settings to match exactly what my RAM supports. It was listing the RAM as DDR3_1333 instead of DDR3_1600
    Kept the voltage at 1.500V as per the RAM supports, no change...
    Last edited by RyMann88; 04-29-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Tried more steps

therube is offline Member

Default Re: DIMM issue (Z77 Extreme4)

Have you run memory tests on each DIMM individually?
    And/or try each DIMM singularly in each slot?

Can you test the memory in your other machine?

Quote Originally Posted by therube View Post
    Have you run memory tests on each DIMM individually?
    And/or try each DIMM singularly in each slot?

Can you test the memory in your other machine?
    Yes, tried each stick in one slot each. Even tried using both A1 and A2. I haven't checked for bent pins in the CPU socket just yet. I have to disconnect everything and pull the motherboard back out due to the CPU cooler I have installed.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Please post the exact model number of your RAM, "Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600" is not enough information.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    please post the exact model number of your ram, "corsair vengeance 16gb (4x4gb) ddr3-1600" is not enough information.
    cml16gx3m4a1600c9

alexandrebr is offline Junior Member

Have you managed to fix the problem? I have a friend in Brazil who is facing the same issue.
    i5 3570k - Thermalright SI-128
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    2x4GB G.Skill Ares 1600Mhz
    XFX HD6870
    Samsung HDD (500GB + 1TB)
    Win7 x64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by RyMann88 View Post
    cml16gx3m4a1600c9
    Ok, Corsair CML16GX3M4A1600C9 is in the memory support list, and for four, 4GB DIMMs. Do you see the XMP profile entry in the BIOS, in the OC Tweaker screen?

Sometimes a board will not supply the voltage that the BIOS setting is set to, particularly if four DIMMs are used. Try increasing the memory voltage a bit at a time, which may help with detecting all the DIMMs. I saw a user review of this memory that said Corsair told him it was safe to use up to 1.65V, but it's always best to use the least voltage possible.

Another thing to try is adjusting the voltage to the memory controller on the CPU, which is Vtt voltage in the BIOS. You can try setting it one or two increments above the standard value that is listed in the BIOS help for that option.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Ok, Corsair CML16GX3M4A1600C9 is in the memory support list, and for four, 4GB DIMMs. Do you see the XMP profile entry in the BIOS, in the OC Tweaker screen?

Sometimes a board will not supply the voltage that the BIOS setting is set to, particularly if four DIMMs are used. Try increasing the memory voltage a bit at a time, which may help with detecting all the DIMMs. I saw a user review of this memory that said Corsair told him it was safe to use up to 1.65V, but it's always best to use the least voltage possible.

Another thing to try is adjusting the voltage to the memory controller on the CPU, which is Vtt voltage in the BIOS. You can try setting it one or two increments above the standard value that is listed in the BIOS help for that option.
    Sorry for the long delay in reply time.

I've poked around here and there, nothing seems to get DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 to 'activate' and from what my random and varied internet searches and the user that posted here, I'm not alone. Does ASRock know about this issue? Do they plan to make a public statement?

Regardless, just to clarify before I do anything without all the info.

Which voltage setting am I increasing? Is the 1.650V you mentioned for the DRAM setting or the VTT setting you brought up later in the post?

I did bump the VTT setting from 1.076 (which is where it defaulted) to the next increment up with no change. I took another try and bumped it up one more to 1.09x (can't remember the last digit off the top of my head) and still no change.

The Hardware Browser still shows all for DIMM slots being occupied...

But there's something else... Windows 8 x64 only shows 8GB of RAM available, but in-between attempts I had installed 3DMark Demo (it's a graphics and physics benchmark for gaming) and when the benchmark was done, it took me to the results page (which is online) and even it showed all four DIMM slots as occupied and correctly listed the hardware.

Once someone verifies which voltage settings I should be adjusting, I'll do it one more time. Other than that, my only other option is to check for bent CPU pins. That won't be too much fun considering the CPU cooler I installed.

Thanks again for the replies and in advance for any more suggestions.

The 1.65V is the DRAM voltage, and the maximum for the memory. So if you're at 1.5V for the DRAM, go to 1.55V or 1.6V, up to 1.65V if it doesn't work.

The Vtt can be incremented as you did too, I would increase it two settings above the standard 1.076V.

Increase both of those voltages together.

You did not mention the XMP profile I mentioned, which should be available with that memory. If that setting is not visible, that is strange.

The default speed of any memory will not be the OC'd speed, even if it is just 1600. I would also suggest setting all of the memory speed settings to Auto, not 1600, 9 9 9 24, or whatever it is. That is simply to see if the memory can all be seen. Once it is all working at its default settings, which is not 1600, then you can increase speed and timings from there. It's always better to use new hardware at it's default speed and settings, just to verify it works.

It's loading the XMP Profile 1.3.

I did what you said about setting everything to "AUTO" which changed nothing.

Used XMP Profile 1.3 with the voltage settings bumped up at each increment, still no change. Stopped at DRAM - 1.650V and Vtt - 1.094V before I called it quits and changed those back to auto.

This is what I'm seeing:

Home page:

Hardware Browser:

Task Manager:

Still haven't checked for bent pins yet. Looks like it's getting to that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information