Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 & G.Skill F3-17000CL9D-4GBXMD 2133mhz

ThaGeNeCySt is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock Z77 Extreme6 & G.Skill F3-17000CL9D-4GBXMD 2133mhz

Hello,

I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme6 & G.Skill F3-17000CL9D-4GBXMD ram... for whatever reason, I cannot get Prime95 to give me stable results when I set the XMP profile in BIOS. I've tried profile 1, and 2 to no avail.

Things I've tried:

• setting RAM timings myself in BIOS
    • Overclocking CPU to 4.2 and 4.4 in BIOS
    • switching ram slots from a1 and b1 to a2 and b2

I'm not sure what else I can try or if it's something I'm doing wrong.

My specs are:

i7 3770K
    8gb RAM (4 each) slot

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 & G.Skill F3-17000CL9D-4GBXMD 2133mhz

It looks like the 2GB G.Skill F3-17000CL9D-4GBXMD DIMMs are listed in the compatibility list, rather than the 4GB DIMMs, which does not include that model (assuming I understand what you are using.) The model you have is almost the same, but memory compatibility can be very touchy with Ivy Bridge CPUs and current boards.

Two things you can try, first increase the DRAM voltage, but only if you are below 1.65V now. Since the memory controller is on the CPU, you can increase the Vtt voltage in the UEFI/BIOS, which is the voltage for the IMC.

Slots A2 and B2 are said to be better for any memory OC, you should keep them there. Set the main memory latency settings to Auto, or even looser timings to try to get them working.

What are you considering unstable results with Prime95?

ThaGeNeCySt is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    It looks like the 2GB G.Skill F3-17000CL9D-4GBXMD DIMMs are listed in the compatibility list, rather than the 4GB DIMMs, which does not include that model (assuming I understand what you are using.) The model you have is almost the same, but memory compatibility can be very touchy with Ivy Bridge CPUs and current boards.

Two things you can try, first increase the DRAM voltage, but only if you are below 1.65V now. Since the memory controller is on the CPU, you can increase the Vtt voltage in the UEFI/BIOS, which is the voltage for the IMC.

Slots A2 and B2 are said to be better for any memory OC, you should keep them there. Set the main memory latency settings to Auto, or even looser timings to try to get them working.

What are you considering unstable results with Prime95?
    Thank you for your response.

What would you recommend I increase Vtt by? In short steps?

and in Prime95, I can never complete the blend stress test .... after about 45 seconds I get rounding errors (expected less than .4, got .5) and other hardware failures. I'll up the VTT voltage by a few and see if that helps.

what would you consider "looser" timings for the DRAM configuration?

Thanks,

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes, increase Vtt in small steps. At first, try say two steps and after that just one at a time. You can't increase it endlessly, since that has the potential to damage the integrated memory controller (IMC) on the CPU. Also keep an eye on CPU temperature, in case it is affected by a significant amount, which would be ~5C, and would indicate clear stress on the IMC.

Looser timings would be for example, if the rated timings were 11 11 11 28, then 12 12 12 30 would be looser/higher. Setting those values to Auto should allow those settings to be automatically set to values the memory is comfortable with, and likely read from the memory's own pre-programmed timing data.

Thread Information