Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: asrock Z77 extreme4 and Patriot memory big problem

Angry asrock Z77 extreme4 and Patriot memory big problem

Hello, I have 1 kit 4x4GB 2133MHz Patriot Viper black mamba and I'm having problems on the motherboard asrock z77 extreme 4 with this kit.

The bios does not recognize the 16GB installed. Windows 7 does not recognize.
    But the strange thing is that the CPU-Z recognizes the memories in their respective sockets.

I use an i7 3770K and Windows 7 x64 ultimate. Have tested the modules one by one. Already tested the sockets one by one. There is no problem with them. Already upgraded to latest bios, not solved.
    The XMP profile for these memories is missing in my bios.

complementing:

I tested 2 modules in socket 1 and 3, they work in dual channel (8GB). OK
    I tested 2 modules in socket 1 and 4, they work in dual channel (8GB). OK
    I tested 2 modules in socket 1 and 2, and only recognizes 4GB in socket 1 in single channel.
    I tested 2 modules at socket 3 and 4, and only recognizes 4GB in socket 3 in single channel.

And as I already said, the 4x4GB are not recognized in the bios, not in w7 x64 ultimate. In this configuration, are recognized in dual channel socket 1 and 3. But the CPU-Z recognizes the 4 memories installed in each socket.

Please, what might be going on?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: asrock Z77 extreme4 and Patriot memory big problem

There are very few Patriot memory modules in the Memory Support List for this board: ASRock > Z77 Extreme4

None of them are listed in the 2133 speed category. You just can't use any memory you choose in current Intel mother boards, if the model is not listed in the support list, it will be just luck or chance if they work or not. It's been like this for several Intel CPU generations, starting with socket 1366 and 1156 boards. That also coincides with DDR3 memory, which is likely a contributing factor. This is not just with ASRock products, all mother board manufacture's products behave this way. It also does not matter if the memory manufacture states the model will work with specific platforms or chipsets, the memory support list is what matters.

The missing XMP profiles is a hint about the compatibility. At times, ASRock will add a BIOS update to accommodate memory, but you will need to contact them and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    There are very few Patriot memory modules in the Memory Support List for this board: ASRock > Z77 Extreme4

None of them are listed in the 2133 speed category. You just can't use any memory you choose in current Intel mother boards, if the model is not listed in the support list, it will be just luck or chance if they work or not. It's been like this for several Intel CPU generations, starting with socket 1366 and 1156 boards. That also coincides with DDR3 memory, which is likely a contributing factor. This is not just with ASRock products, all mother board manufacture's products behave this way. It also does not matter if the memory manufacture states the model will work with specific platforms or chipsets, the memory support list is what matters.

The missing XMP profiles is a hint about the compatibility. At times, ASRock will add a BIOS update to accommodate memory, but you will need to contact them and hope for the best.
    Yes, you're right. I should have checked the compatibility list before. I thought it might be a bent pin on the socket, so I dismounted and not noticed anything abnormal. I do not have another 4x4GB kit to test here. So my only hope right now is the contact asrock to solve my problem.

renegade44 is offline Junior Member

It appears that the primary problem you are having is that the BIOS and WIn7 are not reporting the information about your memory. It does boot up and work doesn't it? If so is there any indiaction that your memory is working @2133?

You also need your memory in A1 or B2 or A2 or B1. You have tried all 4 combinations and only 2 have worked which is normal as A1 B2 or A2 and B1 will not work.

You may wish to contact Patriot also as well as ASrock.
    Mobo: ASrock Z77 Exteme4
    CPU: i5-3570K 4.2G
    CPU Heatsink : Hyper 212 EVO
    RAM: Ripjaw F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB
    GFX: MSI GTX650
    PSU: Lepa 500W
    SSD: PNY XLR8 240GB (C:)
    SSD: OCZ Agiliity 3 240GB (refurb)
    Storage: Seagate 7200.12 1TB
    Storage: Seagate 7200.12 500GB

Thread Information