Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: General questions of ASrock Extreme6 Drivers

Lightbulb General questions of ASrock Extreme6 Drivers

Hey guys! General questions of ASrock Extreme6 Drivers-untitled-png

So the above picture shows the drivers for the ASrock Extreme6 Z77 MOBO. I had a few questions in regards to some of the things i underlined. The red lines indicate driver that i have no knowledge of (in regards on what they do, and if i need them). The blue lines indicate drivers that i have a semi-idea of what they do, but i am not sure if i will require them at all.

Here is my setup that i will have with this motherboard:
    -G. Skill DDR3 16 GB (2 x8gb) 1866mhz RAM
    -Intel 3570K ivy Bridge
    -Corsair HX850W PSU
    -EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    -Intel 520 series 240gb SSD (this will be the bootable drive)
    -WD Green 1.5 TB SATA 6 GBS (this will be for storage. no RAID in the system)
    -Corsair H80i CPU liquid cooler

(by the way, any constructive criticism on what i can do better in regards to hardware, or suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated about my build).

Also, are there drivers you guys suggest to not download that is not needed? opinions on the utilities?

Lastly, should i even bother with the install CD from ASrock, or just simply install the drivers directly off the website?

Thanks!

edit: i realize the picture shows drivers for Vista, forgive the mistake, it was meant to be win 7. my OS is win 7!
    Last edited by 3demons; 05-03-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Default Re: General questions of ASrock Extreme6 Drivers

bump, anyone? if a chicken had lips, could it whistle?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Definitely use the drivers from the download page, as they are the newest. While newest is not always better, nothing listed is bad and should be used.

The INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019 installer is the FIRST thing you should install after the OS installation. It loads files that identifies all the hardware on the board, and those files are used by all the other driver and utility programs, so they will install correctly.

The Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.1.2.1318 installer is the SECOND thing you should install, without it all the features of the boards chipset and CPU will not function correctly. Without it you'll find a problem device in Device Manager.

The SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation) is installed during the load driver step of the OS installation, and required for Vista if you plan on using RAID. If you're just using AHCI mode, which you should with a SSD, install it too. I'm not sure if Vista has a native AHCI driver, so installing this covers that possible issue.

The ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:1.3.1 must be installed so the two extra SATA ports will work.

The CIR receiver driver ver:2.5.1003 is useful only if you plan on using a remote control with the PC, and have those parts. Otherwise it is useless.

AppCharger ver:1.0.5 allows more power to the USB ports to charge phones, etc.

Instant Boot ver:1.29 is really a version of Windows Hibernate, and is really not needed when using a SSD.

ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility ver:0.1.250 allows you to adjust fan speeds and change CPU OC settings in Windows, and other features.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Definitely use the drivers from the download page, as they are the newest. While newest is not always better, nothing listed is bad and should be used.

The INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019 installer is the FIRST thing you should install after the OS installation. It loads files that identifies all the hardware on the board, and those files are used by all the other driver and utility programs, so they will install correctly.

The Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.1.2.1318 installer is the SECOND thing you should install, without it all the features of the boards chipset and CPU will not function correctly. Without it you'll find a problem device in Device Manager.

The SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation) is installed during the load driver step of the OS installation, and required for Vista if you plan on using RAID. If you're just using AHCI mode, which you should with a SSD, install it too. I'm not sure if Vista has a native AHCI driver, so installing this covers that possible issue.

The ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:1.3.1 must be installed so the two extra SATA ports will work.

The CIR receiver driver ver:2.5.1003 is useful only if you plan on using a remote control with the PC, and have those parts. Otherwise it is useless.

AppCharger ver:1.0.5 allows more power to the USB ports to charge phones, etc.

Instant Boot ver:1.29 is really a version of Windows Hibernate, and is really not needed when using a SSD.

ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility ver:0.1.250 allows you to adjust fan speeds and change CPU OC settings in Windows, and other features.
    Thank you so much for the info man. helps a lot!

Just to clarify, i messed up on clicking the proper site for OS specific drivers, I will not have vista. My OS is Windows 7 x64. I havent looked closely, but it looked like the drivers between vista and 7 were pretty much the same, so im not worried. anyways, thank you again for the info!

General questions of ASrock Extreme6 Drivers-ssd-info-png

Okay! so i actually switched to win 8 64 bit, and my only question was, which drivers would you guys reccommend that i *do not* need since i am using a SSD? I just bought a samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD and returned the Intel one, so i was curious what drivers will i not need. my main question is the rapid start driver from intel. Will that speed up, or slow down the SSD? as well as the intel rapid storage technology one.

Let me know what other drivers will i not need and opinions/tweaks i can do.

Thread Information