Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASROCK X79 Extreme11 and LSI RAID

Angry ASROCK X79 Extreme11 and LSI RAID

Is anyone using this motherboard with the LSI RAID Controller? I have just ordered my 4th set of SSDs to try to get a brand that will [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]perform[/COLOR] well. I planned on four 480GB drives in RAID 10 for the OS and Applications. I have a 4TB std. Sata drive for data.

I tried the Samsung 840 series first, and [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]Windows[/COLOR] crashed on boot. After troubleshooting for hours with LSI, ASROCK, and Samsung, they said to order the pro model for RAID. I got four of the Samsung 840 Pros, and the same problem. We determined then that the Samsungs weren't compatible with the LSI controller.

I then ordered 4 of the OCZ Agility 3 480GB drives. The performance was almost half of that of the Samsung on the Intel controller. Tomorrow I will have four Intel SSDs. My research has shown that Intel is the only SSD brand that follows the same standards for SATA that normal hard drives follow, so I'm hoping for better results.

So far, I am extremely unhappy with the $600 motherboard that I purchased to have a dedicated RAID controller so minimize CPU impact compared to using the Intel RAID controller.

Here's the numbers from having 2 OCZ's using the Intel RAID 1, and the same 2 drives using the LSI in RAID 1!!!!! Do I have a bad LSI controller or is the controller horrible!!!!!

Let me know what you have experienced!

--Kent

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASROCK X79 Extreme11 and LSI RAID

I don't own your board, so cannot give you any direct experience. I don't recall seeing this issue posted in the forum as long as I've been hanging out here (~9 months), but your board is certainly not mainstream or common.

I'm surprised the Samsung 840 Pro SSDs did not work with the LSI RAID controller, but there have been a few reports I've seen in other forums/websites about RAID issues with those Samsung SSDs, and that was on the Intel RAID controller.

The Intel RAID 1 results with the Agility 3's is great, better than I would have guessed for that SSD.

You may have seen this thread elsewhere, but just in case you haven't, similar issues to yours: Interesting Windows Server 2012 LSI SAS2308 Controller Results

Frankly, IMO ASRock support will not have much experience with the LSI RAID controller, so they won't be much help. Was LSI helpful, or just passed the buck to ASRock?

I imagine you've been through this, but just in case, when you installed Windows (what version?) did you install the so called LSI Floppy Image ver:2.00.55 driver? The download file expands into four versions, two for AMD and two for Intel. Each folder has a text file that describes the installation, etc. You may find some information in that documentation htat

LSI pretty much passed the buck to ASROCK. ASROCK's response thought they might be able to do a BIOS update and help with the numbers. For now, I'm running 6 drives in RAID 5 on the Intel and we'll use the LSI to run my DVD drives.

Pretty sad use of the main reason I went with this motherboard!

--Kent

Akis is offline Junior Member

Did you activate Disk Cache Policy?

parsec is offline Senior Member

The LSI RAID 1 results look like SATA I speeds, 1.5Gb/s.

Since the LSI 2308 is supposed to use the PCIe 3.0 buss, supplied by the PLX PEX 8747 bridge chips, I wonder if the speed issue is related to that. For example, the PCIe 3.0 buss used by my video card would change from 8Gb/s to 5Gb/s and 2.5Gb/s due to power savings options enabled and operating. Windows Power Option Advanced settings include PCI Express Link State Power Management that is enabled by default, but may be turned off. I also wonder if there is any configuration settings for the PLX PEX 8747 bridge chips, or PCIe settings in general in the BIOS. My ASR board has the latter, defaulting to Auto, but PCIe 3.0 speed can be specifically enabled.

As Akis said, the LSI RAID is not plug and play, except probably for RAID 0, configuring it with the LSI RAID UI is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The LSI RAID 1 results look like SATA I speeds, 1.5Gb/s.

Since the LSI 2308 is supposed to use the PCIe 3.0 buss, supplied by the PLX PEX 8747 bridge chips, I wonder if the speed issue is related to that. For example, the PCIe 3.0 buss used by my video card would change from 8Gb/s to 5Gb/s and 2.5Gb/s due to power savings options enabled and operating. Windows Power Option Advanced settings include PCI Express Link State Power Management that is enabled by default, but may be turned off. I also wonder if there is any configuration settings for the PLX PEX 8747 bridge chips, or PCIe settings in general in the BIOS. My ASR board has the latter, defaulting to Auto, but PCIe 3.0 speed can be specifically enabled.

As Akis said, the LSI RAID is not plug and play, except probably for RAID 0, configuring it with the LSI RAID UI is essential.
    It looks like just waiting and initializing the RAID bumped the performance up. It didn't seem to initialize on its own. It took many hours to init even on the SSDs. I was surprised by how long it took, but happy the performance is back!

ASROCK X79 Extreme11 and LSI RAID-raid10-gif

Thread Information