Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock SATA 3, PCI-E card

P_Melas is offline Junior Member

Question ASRock SATA 3, PCI-E card

Good day from Greece to all

This is my first post in this forum and I am really glad to participate. I found it very interesting and informative.

I am not very sure if this is the correct place to post, but looking in the first sticky thread, I read:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak View Post
    The ASRock Technical Support forum is now open and ready for posts!

Please welcome Sean from ASRock who will be here to answer your tech questions related to all ASRock products.....
    Well, I have two (2) ASRock PCI-E SATA 3 Controller Cards, intending to use them on a self-built Home Server Computer, in order to expand its total HDD capacity. The computer is built on an ASUS P5QL-E Motherboard, an Intel Pentium-D 935 (Presler), 3.2GHz Processor and the Operating System is of course the first Microsoft 32-bit Windows Home Server (not the 2nd WHS 2011 one). The system disc is a WD5002ABYS, 500GB one of the Enterprise RE3 Series.

As I can see this type of card has drivers only for Windows XP, Vista and 7 OS (both, the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions). I could not find any drivers for WHS or even for Windows Server 2003 OS. As you may know, the 2003 OS has the same core with the WHS one, so any hardware drivers for the 2003 will do for WHS and vice-versa.

So my question is a simple one:

Can I use these cards on the above described computer, by running the existing drivers for 32-bit OS or not? And if yes, will they be any problems?
    If not, can I possibly find any drivers for the 32-bit Windows 2003 or Windows Home Server for these cards?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    -

P_Melas is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock SATA 3, PCI-E card

Hello again

I know that this might be a tricky and perhaps a difficult issue to handle and reply, but I can also see that the thread has been seen and read by about 200 viewers.
    I wonder if my question has been seen by the ASRock Technical Advisor (Sean). Is there any hope at all?

Thanks again.
    -

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock SATA 3, PCI-E card

"Sean" has not posted in this forum in months, you may here from ASRock Emily in a while.

Those cards and drivers are clearly 64bit only, I see no reference to 32bit drivers anywhere on the card's download page.

The SATA chipsets used are Marvell, who does not supply any drivers to end users. The reason you won't find any drivers in those older versions of WHS is because they won't have any AHCI drivers, which is needed by the Marvell chipsets, so they might get closer to SATA III speeds, which they can't over one PCIe 2.0 lane (5Gb/s maximum.)

Your one hope of finding drivers for these cards for use with your version of WHS (why not try the ones available anyway?) is by looking here: Station-Drivers: le site de drivers, bios, firmwares avec un forum d'aide

Thread Information