Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 - Keyboard drops in and out of functionality following UEFI upgrade

Default Z77 Extreme6 - Keyboard drops in and out of functionality following UEFI upgrade

Yesterday (05/04) I upgraded my UEFI on my Z77 Extreme6 board from Version 2.60 to Version 2.70, and I started hearing the familiar Win7/XP sound that comes when a USB device is unplugged. I discovered that my keyboard was inexplicably disconnected. Sometimes I have to remove the keyboard and reinsert it to resume functionality, and other times the functionality comes back automatically.

I have the Dynex DX-WKBDSL keyboard (a USB 2.0 keyboard), plugged into the top red USB port in the back (where the Firewire and eSATA ports are located). My mouse is plugged into the bottom red USB port and it works perfectly.

Am I about to lose my board? I see no capacitors busted or turned to foam. Do the leads inside my top red USB port need to be bent a bit for better connection with my keyboard's USB plug, or maybe should they be cleaned, like one cleans a valuable coin, albeit with a Q-Tip? Or is it that my keyboard is on its way to dying? It was graded as new-other (could have been slightly used or open-box) when I bought it from eBay, yet it came in its original (albeit slightly crumpled) box, along with the mouse.

Could an upgrade within the UEFI upgrade be the cause of the interference that is causing my keyboard to drop out? Or is it quite probably software interference related to the UEFI upgrade (in other words, a hardware driver or some other software is incompatible with the new UEFI)?

How do I test a USB port for intermittent nonfunctionality? How do I test a keyboard for the same thing, so that I know which one is the problem?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 05-07-2013 at 04:11 AM.

therube is offline Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 - Keyboard drops in and out of functionality following UEFI upgrade

I'll assume this red port is a USB 3.0 port?
    If so, does the problem persist if you plug into a USB 2.0 port?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 - Keyboard drops in and out of functionality following UEFI upgrade

For some reason, the USB 2.0 ports on that board are red, which is unusual. That used to signify what was called a "powered USB" port, that had more power delivery capability than standard USB 2.0 ports. But more power capability, if that is even the case, does not mean a device would be over-powered by the port.

The UEFI update may be a pure coincidence, but it may have introduced a bug. The new version mentions "Update ME version". Is that the IME version or what?

Check the Windows Device Manager, in the USB Controllers section, and check if there are problem devices, with a yellow '!' on the device entry.

Sounds like your keyboard is questionable. It's usually the wires in the USB cable, not the plug. Try moving the wire around and see if it goes in and out. Try moving the keyboard plug to different USB plugs, does your PC case have any on its front panel? Test the USB port itself with a USB mouse or USB flash drive.

You can get a Microsoft keyboard for $10, or a super cheap one for less than $5, why fool around with such a basic thing?

Looks like something in my Dynex keyboard's circuitry may be almost fried. I took the keyboard out of the USB port (which is a 2.0 port), and checked the Device Manager. Of course, the Keyboard category disappeared. When I plugged the keyboard back in, the Keyboard category returned, but the NUM LOCK light was still off (it is usually on when a keyboard is plugged in), and where HID Keyboard Device appears, a yellow triangle with an exclamation point appeared. So, I unplugged it and plugged it in again, the warning triangle disappeared and the keyboard was working again. Sometimes it drops out, sometimes it drops in.

So, I decided to roll out my flexible keyboard (which I haven't used in quite a while), and plugged that in. I unplugged it, and plugged it back in, and repeated the process several times. The green NUM LOCK light was on every single time I plugged the keyboard in, and I did not get a warning in my Device Manager.

Conclusion: My Dynex keyboard is most likely on its way to being totally screwed. The space I have on my desk is pretty narrow (the keyboard is 16 inches wide); fortunately there are plenty of narrow keyboards out there. This one will certainly be replaced.

And there is something else I should have done when I had the chance: I swapped USB ports. I moved my mouse from USB1 to USB0 (the 2 ports above the FireWire and eSATA ports in the back), and my keyboard from USB0 to USB1. Lo and behold, my Dynex keyboard still experiences temporary loss of functionality (easy to spot because it sometimes fails to activate once I plug it into the USB port, forcing me to pull it out and plug it back in), while my mouse activates the sooner I plug it in.

Definitely, I had a bum keyboard, and the motherboard was not at fault. Fortunately I have a replacement keyboard.

Elix is offline Junior Member

I have Extreme6/TB4 and Razer Tarantula keyboard and I confirm the same behavior. Sometimes the keyboard fails to function (LEDs aren't even lit) and I have to hard reset to get it working.

Thread Information