Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Compatibility question for CPU and ASRock Extreme 4

Default Compatibility question for CPU and ASRock Extreme 4

Hi Guys

This is my first post on here so sorry if this is the incorrect area to post.

I am thinking of purchasing the ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard (link below) to fit into my newly purchased Corsair 500r Case. I currently have a standard built HP unit with an Intel i7 processor.
    My question is. Will this processor be compatible with the motherboard? I am not overly technical but from comparing the processor specs and the compatible list on the ASRock pages, It seems to be fine but just wanted to check.

Motherboard:
    AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, Supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX, Premium Gold Caps): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Processor:
    ARK | Intel® Core

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Compatibility question for CPU and ASRock Extreme 4

Lucky you, you'll have no problems with your new hardware. I have an ASRock EX 4 board in a Corsair 500R case. My other ASRock EX 4 board uses my i7-2600K, which is a slightly different model than yours, but your CPU is listed in the CPU compatibility list for our board, so all is fine.

My i7-2600K works perfectly in this board, never had a bit of trouble with it. All the drivers and utilities on the boards download page will work fine, no need to pick and choose certain ones. I would suggest you run the following installation programs first after you install Windows, in this order:

1. INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019

2. Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.1.2.1318

3. Broadcom Lan driver ver:14.8.4.1 (No Internet connection until this is installed.)

After that, you can install other things as you wish.

My only concern is what power supply you will be using. From your HP PC? Sometimes PC manufacture will use proprietary connections on their power supplies, that do not follow the standards of the power supplies sold for PC builders. The main connectors you need to check are:

1. 24 (or 20) pin main mother board power cable/connector.

2. 4 or 8 pin CPU power cable/connector.

Plus they might use a few oddball power connectors for other things, so just be careful with that. If you have more questions, let us know, good luck!

Default Re: Compatibility question for CPU and ASRock Extreme 4

Hi Parsec, thanks for the reply.

I'm currently running a Coolermaster GX 550W PSU. Not a massive amount of power i know but hoping this will be enough.

What I need to do now is find a new external drive as my current External is buggered so I cant back up my data which is what I want to do before building my new one.

Thread Information