Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need help updating BIOS for Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

MrPandaLee is offline Junior Member

Default Need help updating BIOS for Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

I just received a new CPU to switch out my current one. The current is an i3 2120 Sandy Bridge and the new one is an i5 3470 Ivy Bridge. I was told I'll have to update my BIOS, seeing as I never have, to run the new CPU. While at first this seemed easy enough and I had done my homework and research, when attempting to download the file, I only end up getting one that does pretty much nothing. So I'm not sure if I missed something, need a new program, or anything else under the sun. Hopefully someone might be able to run me through this in the forums. Thanks in advance.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Need help updating BIOS for Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

I downloaded the 2.30 bios file [Z68 Extreme3 Gen3(2.30)ROM.zip] and when you unzip this file you should have a single file with the name Z68E3G32.30.

The How To Update instructions on the website say:
    Method 1
    1. Save the BIOS files on a device such as USB disk (FAT32 format), hard disk (FAT32 format) and floppy drive.
    2. Press < F2 > during POST to get into BIOS setup menu.
    3. Select the utility under [Smart] menu to execute it.
    4. ASRock Instant Flash will automatically detect all devices and only list those BIOS versions which are suitable for your motherboard.
    5. Select the suitable BIOS version and flash.

There are several screen-shots included in the instructions.
    The instructions do not say that you should first unzip the downloaded bios file to your USB or floppy drive and then to proceed with flashing. If you look closely at the screen-shots, the bios file names end with two numbers, not .zip.

I doubt that the flashing utility will automatically unzip the downloaded file and then proceed with flashing the new bios.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

parsec is offline Senior Member

I assume you downloaded BIOS version 2.10, but if not that is the one you MUST use. The download file name is: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3(2.10)ROM.zip

Performing this BIOS update correctly is very important, since not doing so will cause problems with your PC. The process is not difficult, you just need to follow the directions carefully and completely.

You will need a USB flash drive to perform this update, as the Instant Flash method is the only one available. The Instant Flash utility is run from the BIOS.

Note that the Z68 Extreme3 Gen3(2.10)ROM.zip is a compressed .zip file, which must be unzipped. Download the file and go to its folder. Right click on the file, and you'll see the fourth option in the list is Extract All.... Click on that and it will then display a folder where the extracted file will go, just click Extract. You'll then find the file Z68E3G32.10, which is the file that is used for the BIOS update. This is not a file you run in Windows.

Use any empty USB flash drive, and copy the Z68E3G32.10 file to the USB flash drive. For the BIOS update, the USB flash drive must be in a USB 2.0 port on the rear I/O panel of your board. With the file on the USB flash drive, and inserted in the USB 2.0 port, restart the PC and go into the BIOS.

On my ASRock board, the Instant Flash feature is at the bottom of the Advanced menu screen. Click on Instant Flash and follow the directions. It should find the Z68E3G32.10 file which you click, and follow any directions. When the BIOS update file was downloaded, an additional set of instructions appeared on the screen that you MUST MUST MUST perform for this update to complete correctly. This is it:

Need help updating BIOS for Z68 Extreme3 Gen3-ivybiosupdate-png

It's really very simple, just follow the directions to restart the PC and simply DO NOT remove the USB flash drive. It will hurt nothing to leave it in, but cause BIG problems if you remove it to soon. As in, needing a new BIOS chip.

You should see a message when the Intel ME firmware update is complete, you may even be in Windows at that point. Just reboot again and you're done with the BIOS update.

I hope you noticed that new versions of AXTU, IME software, and possibly the Intel VGA driver if you use the onboard graphics, will be needed with your new CPU. The same download page for the new BIOS has the links for those updates, which are just the usual ones you run in Windows.

Questions?

MrPandaLee is offline Junior Member

Hey, thank you for the detailed information and run through. It turned out that I assumed I could just download the file onto my HDD and update the bios from there. But after finding a flash drive, the process was quick and painless. The new CPU is in and update and everything seems to be working at its best. So thanks again, really helped.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I assume you downloaded BIOS version 2.10, but if not that is the one you MUST use. The download file name is: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3(2.10)ROM.zip

Performing this BIOS update correctly is very important, since not doing so will cause problems with your PC. The process is not difficult, you just need to follow the directions carefully and completely.

You will need a USB flash drive to perform this update, as the Instant Flash method is the only one available. The Instant Flash utility is run from the BIOS.

Note that the Z68 Extreme3 Gen3(2.10)ROM.zip is a compressed .zip file, which must be unzipped. Download the file and go to its folder. Right click on the file, and you'll see the fourth option in the list is Extract All.... Click on that and it will then display a folder where the extracted file will go, just click Extract. You'll then find the file Z68E3G32.10, which is the file that is used for the BIOS update. This is not a file you run in Windows.

Use any empty USB flash drive, and copy the Z68E3G32.10 file to the USB flash drive. For the BIOS update, the USB flash drive must be in a USB 2.0 port on the rear I/O panel of your board. With the file on the USB flash drive, and inserted in the USB 2.0 port, restart the PC and go into the BIOS.

On my ASRock board, the Instant Flash feature is at the bottom of the Advanced menu screen. Click on Instant Flash and follow the directions. It should find the Z68E3G32.10 file which you click, and follow any directions. When the BIOS update file was downloaded, an additional set of instructions appeared on the screen that you MUST MUST MUST perform for this update to complete correctly. This is it:

Need help updating BIOS for Z68 Extreme3 Gen3-ivybiosupdate-png

It's really very simple, just follow the directions to restart the PC and simply DO NOT remove the USB flash drive. It will hurt nothing to leave it in, but cause BIG problems if you remove it to soon. As in, needing a new BIOS chip.

You should see a message when the Intel ME firmware update is complete, you may even be in Windows at that point. Just reboot again and you're done with the BIOS update.

I hope you noticed that new versions of AXTU, IME software, and possibly the Intel VGA driver if you use the onboard graphics, will be needed with your new CPU. The same download page for the new BIOS has the links for those updates, which are just the usual ones you run in Windows.

Questions?

Thread Information