Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 990 FX Extreme 4 dual boot config of Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate IDE to SATA device

AbdulHakeem1 is offline Junior Member

Default 990 FX Extreme 4 dual boot config of Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate IDE to SATA device

I am a beginner. I recently assembled my first new build using an AsRock MoBo. I transplanted some old hardware into the new build. I transplanted my old PCI slot IDE connected TV tuner, as well as, an IDE harddrive (but added a 2TB harddrive as a boot drive) and IDE optical drive. The BIOS settings are at SATA Mode = IDE Mode (for the SATA 1 through SATA 6 ports), and Marvell SATA 3 Operation Mode = IDE (for the SATA 7 and SATA 8 ports).
    The Optical drive has some problems with the DVD laser, however, works fine for the CD laser, so, I had to get a new Optical drive and settled for the LG UH12NS29 Blu-ray burner with SATA connectors...I thought that the device was malfunctioning and caused severe malfunctioning of the operating systems...so I sent it back and got a LiteON Optical Drive Blu-ray player with SATA connectors...I am still having severe malfunctioning of the operating systems and motherboard. The MoBo still does not recognize the Optical drive in BIOS, or the IDE Harddrive now (where as it detected this harddrive before)
    My question is ...because when I installed the operating systems the IDE Optical drive was connected ...will this new SATA Optical drive necessitate that I reinstall the operating systems to get the MoBo to recognize the optical drive and the IDE harddrive? With having XP Pro in a dual boot config will I be able to set SATA Mode and Marvell SATA 3 Operation Mode to AHCI and AHCI not have a conflict with XP Pro?
    Last edited by AbdulHakeem1; 05-14-2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Did not read clearly.

therube is offline Member

Default Re: 990 FX Extreme 4 dual boot config of Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate IDE to SATA device

> when I installed the operating systems the IDE Optical drive was connected
    > ...will this new SATA Optical drive necessitate that I reinstall the operating systems

No.
    Switching from an IDE to SATA Optical drive should make no difference.

> XP Pro in a dual boot config will I be able to set SATA Mode and Marvell SATA 3
    > Operation Mode to AHCI and AHCI not have a conflict with XP Pro?

If you change to AHCI, XP will no longer see your (HDD) drives (I'm pretty sure).
    (There may/could be methods to get things to work, after the fact? Seem to recall that I did some odd stuff a long time ago relating to AHCI, but I don't recall specifics? My more recent forays into [even loading SATA/AHCI] drivers for XP were not fruitful.)
    You would have to have loaded SATA (AHCI) drivers during your XP install (F6).
    Then your drives would work as AHCI in both XP & Win7.

(Do note that some M/B may not need SATA drivers for AHCI - even with XP, IOW, it may work natively. XP SP3 AHCI & SATA Installs With No Extra Drivers Needed)
    Last edited by therube; 05-15-2013 at 12:25 AM.

therube is offline Member

Default Re: 990 FX Extreme 4 dual boot config of Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate IDE to SATA device

IDE Optical & HDD cabled & jumpered correctly - master/slave or CS?
    Possible that a malfunction of one could affect the appearance of the other.

So try each individually.

Disconnect both the IDE & power cable to the "unplugged" device during this time.

I got some info from another forum. It appears that I had not installed the Marvell driver, but, was connecting my boot drive and optical drive to SATA3_7 and SATA3_8. Because I had the IDE HDD connected to the IDE controller on initial install of OS...when I disconnected the IDE HDD and connected the SATA HDD to the Marvell controller the MoBo malfunctioned due to no driver for Marvell controller. My problem now is that I reconfiged the MoBo but kept Marvell3 and SATA Mode in IDE, however, installed the Marvell driver and it worked...the MoBo is now recognizing the Optical Drive and I was able to boot from the Optical drive just now. However, I did not click F6 and reinstall the Marvell driver during the installation and I am wondering that now after finally getting the first OS reinstalled can I simply install the Marvell driver again post-installation of OS and all is well? I am still in the installing MoBo drivers phase right now.
    Last edited by AbdulHakeem1; 05-15-2013 at 04:38 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Any and all drivers that are installed only exist on your HDD, they are not written to or stored on the actual SATA or other chip. That means you should install the F6 Marvell driver when you install your second OS. Each OS may use a different driver with the Marvell chipset. For example, the Windows 7 msahci driver can be used with the Marvell SATA chip, and you use the Marvell driver with your XP installation.

You are NOT limited by XP regarding which drivers you use with another OS, like Windows 7. Drivers are installed on the OS drive, not on the chipset.

Frankly, all of your drives would perform better using the AMD SATA interface, in AHCI mode. Optical drives are SATA I devices (1.5Gb/s) but never really even provide that speed, since they are just slow devices.

Darnit. But much thanks parsec. I may have to do both installs again. One of my challenges was that in F6 I could not install the Marvell driver from a flash drive...or possibly didn't know how, it was saying floppy drive or something. In addition, I am running into some hiccups on the dual boot config. I got them both up now, and it is saying during boot that it is using the Marvell adapter...but, I've got a small prob with EAX Module shut down on my Creative sound card that causes the optical drive hook up to the Marvell controller to stop working. But, it is fixed with shutting down and letting the computer sit for 10 to 15 minutes then all is well with the optical drive again.
    How to install the Marvell driver in F6 for 1st OS (XP Pro SP1) from a flashdrive, or, as you have said in the 2nd OS (7 Ultimate) because the driver there will cause both OS to recognize the Marvell Controller?
    Last edited by AbdulHakeem1; 05-17-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Both OS are working well. Optical drive is no longer conflicting with the MoBo. Your advice as well as the advice from that other site made it clear for me. Thank you.

Thread Information