Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 Won't POST

zwasserman is offline Junior Member

Default Z77 Extreme6 Won't POST

I had a couple 'page fault in non-paged area' bsods. Then I accidentally downloaded some malware and removed it, but it started crashing on windows startup pretty consistently every other boot. Then I got a few 'critical process or thread has stopped or been terminated' bsods. This went on for a while until finally it just wouldn't start up. At first when I pressed the power button, it just made an odd audio crackle from the speakers. Then it stopped making any noise at all. I tried resetting the CMOS to no avail. When I plug the 3.5mm audio jack into the back it does make that pop sound, so it is getting some kind of power. I'm going to get the last kernel dump and the minidumps off the SSD tonight if they're there. I ordered a PSU tester which should be here Monday. I already tried resetting the CMOS, but I didn't reseat the battery yet though; I just used the button.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

I've copied my original post below.

Hi all,

I just threw this build together back in September. It's seen heavy use since then but hasn't ever had any dangerous temperatures. Neither the CPU or the GPU ever go over 70, and tend to stay closer to 65 most of the time.

I started having issues about a month ago and made this post:

A couple weeks ago my computer restarted all on its own in the middle of while I was doing stuff. I didn't think much of it as windows updates does this sometimes. Today while surfing the web all programs closed automatically and I was left with a movable mouse cursor and a blank desktop. ctrl + alt + del did nothing. I was forced to do a hard restart.

Upon restarting I decided to move some things from my SSD (which contains my OS) to my 3TB HDD. I opened my computer and went to right click my HDD to open it in a new window and I got the message windows explorer has stopped working and then restarting. The window closed and didn't reopen. I reopened it on my own and tried again. It crashed again. I opened it a third time, went to my SSD, opened a second my computer window, went to my HDD, and copied a folder containing 12 gigs of data (Diablo 3) from the SSD to the HDD no problem. Finished within a minute or so. I right clicked on the desktop Diablo 3 shortcut and it took about 3 seconds to open the menu. I tried it a couple more times and same thing. I deleted the shortcut, made a new one with the new path, and deleted the Diablo 3 folder from my SSD, giving me 15 gigs of free space instead of 3. Now when I open my computer and right click on my HDD the menu pops up right away, no crash. When I right click on desktop icons the menu pops up right away, no 3 second delay. I immediately went to Yahoo Answers to type this out.

It's worth mentioning that about 5 or 6 days ago I (extremely stupidly) downloaded some malware thinking I was downloading a patch I needed for some software (using some ftp site instead of clicking skip ad I hit download). I realized what I'd done immediately and I downloaded AVG, ran a scan, and got rid of the malware. I also started running a "check for system errors" scan which stated I had registry errors, but I stopped the scan before it finished and didn't click fix because I had never used the option before, and wasn't sure of the consequences. Upon rebooting I had a BSOD that said, "page fault in non paged area." Two more occurred every other boot. I uninstalled AVG and the BSODs stopped. I haven't had any BSODs or any issues at all before or since besides these windows explorer crashes.

Any ideas what could be causing them? I've heard SSDs can be unstable if they are full. I'll update this if it crashes again. My computer always operates blazingly fast.

System Specs:

Built about 6 months ago

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Case: HAF 932 Advanced - RC-932-KKN5-GP
    SSD (OS): OCZ Vertex 2 60GB - OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G (Left over from a previous build)
    HDD (Games, Audio, Video, etc.): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM - ST3000DM001
    MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
    Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series DDR3 1600 2x4GB (XMP enabled, running at 1600 MHz, came free with the MOBO in case you're wondering why this brand)
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k 3.4 GHz
    GPU: EVGA Superclocked GTX 660 Ti 2GB - 02G-P4-3662-KR
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W 12V rail @ 70A - RS-850-SPHA-D3

If I forgot anything or you'd like additional details (log files etc.) let me know.

If you have any troubleshooting suggestions let me know.

Thanks for the help!

edit: Just got another blue screen...It said, "A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated."

I'll update if another occurs.

Just got another BSOD, same message.

STOP: 0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800A2A7A70, 0XFFFFFA800A2A7D50, 0XFFFFF800035DF470

Anyone know what that means or how to analyze it?

That was a month ago. The whole time I was having issues it continued to run very quickly, never really lagging at all, but then it started crashing on startup. It always started right up in about 15-20 seconds the next try though. Just today, it blue screened about a minute into an SC2 4v4 match and said this:

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

STOP: 0x000000F4, 0x0000000000000003, 0XFFFFFA800962DB30, 0XFFFFFA800962DE10, 0XFFFFF800035D1350

Then upon startup it gave me a message saying there is no disk in the drive.

I didn't think much of it and started up SC2 again. Then my mouse stopped working and I tried to restart it but instead of coming back on, static came out of my speakers. I pressed the power button and the same sound came out again, but no post code or anything. I unplugged it and flipped the power switch on the PSU, waited about a minute, and tried again to no avail, no fans or anything.

I checked the temp of the PSU and it seemed like it could have been a bit hot. Then checked for dust and there was a thin layer but not much. I decided to let it cool off, tried again in about 8 hours with no luck. Now there's not even any static sound.

Also, I ran memtest86 for 2 full passes on all tests this morning with zero errors.

Any ideas?

If anyone can even put me on the right track that would be great!

Thanks
    Last edited by zwasserman; 05-18-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Add Old Post Link

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Won't POST

You could try running a Windows repair with your installation media, but it sounds to me like you need a complete, fresh installation of Windows.

But, your Vertex 2 might be bad, or at least needs a secure erase, and new Windows installation. If you only had ~3GB of space on the SSD, that is not good for an early SSD like that. Ever run a Windows Disk Cleanup on it?

If your CPU is at 65C "most of the time", that is high for a idle or low load temperature. No mention of any OC, or what kind of CPU cooler you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    You could try running a Windows repair with your installation media, but it sounds to me like you need a complete, fresh installation of Windows.

But, your Vertex 2 might be bad, or at least needs a secure erase, and new Windows installation. If you only had ~3GB of space on the SSD, that is not good for an early SSD like that. Ever run a Windows Disk Cleanup on it?

If your CPU is at 65C "most of the time", that is high for a idle or low load temperature. No mention of any OC, or what kind of CPU cooler you are using.
    Well it won't post at all, so I can't just do a fresh install of windows. Even with a bad windows installation I should still be able to at least get to the BIOS.

That 3GB on the SSD was early on, it's had 10GB or more since then. I haven't run a Windows Disk Cleanup.

Everything is running at stock settings on stock coolers. That 65C is high for gaming load.

Akis is offline Junior Member

Unplug everything except graphic card and cpu.Do a bios reset and see if it posts.
    Your cpu temperature is fine and i quote from intel forums thats an answer for 3570k.
    Your processor has a TCase value of 67.4C; anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use.
    When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.
    If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it will not be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down

Quote Originally Posted by Akis View Post
    Unplug everything except graphic card and cpu.Do a bios reset and see if it posts.
    Your cpu temperature is fine and i quote from intel forums thats an answer for 3570k.
    I figured the temps were fine. I mainly listed them to show that they were ok.

I tested the PSU and everything was clean. I plugged everything back in and pressed the power button just to see and voila! It posted! So I go into the BIOS and my SSD is missing from the boot order but recognized under advanced/storage configuration.

Any ideas? Could the SSD be dead? Could a dead HDD containing your OS prevent your system from posting? Because that seems pretty weird to me...maybe I'm just a noob though haha.

edit: Okay now I'm really confused. It just booted into windows perfect normal when I exited setup, but the SSD definitely was not on the boot list. It was the last thing I checked. Am I just an idiot missing something really obvious?

Also, explorer still crashes when I try to right click any drive.

There are 11.4 GB of space on the hard drive.

I have the minidumps if anyone knows what to do with them. It didn't save a kernel dump :( When I go to My Computer>>System Properties>>Advanced>>Startup and Recovery it is set to record one, but it didn't, at least not where it was set to. But, when I click ok I get this message:

Windows might not be able to record details that could help identify because your current paging file is disabled or less than 400 megabytes. Click OK to return to the Virtual Memory settings window, enable the paging file, and set the size to a value over 400 megabytes, or click Cancel to change your memory dump selection.

So I click ok and go to performance>>advanced and surely enough 8083 MB are allocated for a paging file. It's allocated on my data drive though, not the SSD (OS), so maybe the kernel dump is on my data drive somewhere? I had originally done that to save space on the SSD because I read they don't operate well full and it reduces their lifetime.
    Last edited by zwasserman; 05-23-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Got the minidumps

Akis is offline Junior Member

If you check OCZ forum youll see that max ssd drive load should be at 80% of capacity.

As parsec said above make a secure erase to do that go to ocz forum and download their ssd suite burn it and run it.After that make a clean windows installation.

I use ASRock XRAM for the paging file and its super fast :)
    Last edited by Akis; 05-23-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Thread Information