Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Serious Problem ASrock + 3tb HDD

Default Serious Problem ASrock + 3tb HDD

Hello everybody,

first of all - nice to see and find a specific forum :)

So there we go, I got some serious problems with my new HDD:
    Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3tb
    in combination with my mainboard: asrock n68c-s ucc.

After inserting the new HDD, my explorer shows that it only has 746GB (instead of 3tb) - looks like this a known issue - but after several hours of googling, installing, updating and so on, I am still not able to fix the problem.

So my question: is some1 in here who had the same error and fixed it? In addition, if some1 knows if those two hardware components are not comatible at all - please let me know and mb give me some advice which new motherboard I should buy.

Thx alot in advance & best wishes

joe

PS: for any information needed, please do not hesitate and contact me :)
    Last edited by nesuxx; 05-28-2013 at 06:01 AM.

therube is offline Member

Default Re: Serious Problem ASrock + 3tb HDD

(I'm not certain about this, so I'll just throw it out. Wait for others to confirm.)

Did you install ASRock ‘3TB+ Unlocker’?
    Did you format the HDD as GPT?
    Is 3TB+ Unlocker required with a 64-bit OS or only 32-bit?

As I said, I am happy bout any comment or tipp I get :)!!!!

So first of all, thanks alot!

Did all the stuff you said :( I also posted my problem in a german forum, where a guy told me he had the same problem and could only solve it by buying a new motherboard :/

His words were: Your mainboard needs UEFI Bios - otherwise a 3 tb HDD wont work. Looks like my MB doesnt have this Bios....But the strange thing is - when im in my Bios it shows that the new HDD got 3 tb .... .strange things going on in here!

I really never thought that I get problems with installing a HDD - JESUS CHRSIT ^^

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nesuxx View Post
    As I said, I am happy bout any comment or tipp I get :)!!!!

So first of all, thanks alot!

Did all the stuff you said :( I also posted my problem in a german forum, where a guy told me he had the same problem and could only solve it by buying a new motherboard :/

His words were: Your mainboard needs UEFI Bios - otherwise a 3 tb HDD wont work. Looks like my MB doesnt have this Bios....But the strange thing is - when im in my Bios it shows that the new HDD got 3 tb .... .strange things going on in here!

I really never thought that I get problems with installing a HDD - JESUS CHRSIT ^^
    The BIOS and Windows file system are two different, separate things. Just because your 3TB HDD is seen in the BIOS does not mean it will be detected in Windows correctly.

You haven't filled in any of your PC's hardware, drivers, and what OS you are using, which makes it much harder to provide any help.

The standard/default disk formatting that Windows uses will not detect a HDD larger than 2.2TB, that is a known Windows issue, and is not an ASRock problem. The fix for this is to format HDD's like this as GPT rather than MBR formatting. If that still does not work, then other things may be the problem.

The 3TB Unlocker program does not list your board on its page, but boards with the same chipset do, so it may work, but also might not.

You said you "did all the stuff you said", but what exactly did you do? Did you use Windows Disk Management to format the 3TB HDD in GPT format, after deleting the current MBR partitions? Or did you use something like Diskpart to do the same thing?

Things change in PC hardware. Frankly, your board, three years old now, uses the now obsolete, no longer made or supported, Nvidia SATA chipset. Its last SATA driver update was over three years ago, so is not up to date with at least two SATA standard revisions. When your board was new, no one new that the Nvidia chipsets (non-video) would have many problems, even Apple used them for a while. Nvidia stopped making them and has ignored owners of these chipsets/boards, providing no driver updates since 2010. You may never get this board to work with your new HDD, but we still don't know what else we are working with besides your mother board.

Dear parsec,

thx alot for your widespread answer!

"I did all the stuff" included, deleting all partitions, rearrange this HDD as GPT, 3tb unlocker installation, firmware updates on HDD and MB and so on... took me nearly 3 hours to do all the tipps&tricks I found on the internet. Nothing worked out for me :(

As I mentioned, I started this thread also in a german forum - there was a guys with exactly the same problem... his way to solve it was buying a new MB :(

Well concerning my system: I think the only interesting and problemsolving/-involving parts are the MB/Windows vista 64bit home premium service pack 2/HDD

All in all, I think you are right: my MB is just too old / not updated enough to stand this problem....

A guy on the german forum thought me to get this MB: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0, AM3+, ATX

Any one in here has experience with this MB or better suggestions?! [running 4gb ddr3 ram, AMD Athlon II X3 460 3,4Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560]

Thx in advance & best wishes joe

Thread Information