Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: asrock z77 extreme 6 ssd drives and raid 0 problem

pontypool is offline Junior Member

Default asrock z77 extreme 6 ssd drives and raid 0 problem

I have a question about this board.
    I just got an ssd drive and I heard that for them to operate at maximum efficiency, "ahci" or whatever its spelled, has to be enabled in the bios. Now I have found the option, but it seems that by enabling this, I would be disabling raid. I have two sata hard drives in raid 0 array, If I enable ahci (or whatever its called) this will disable raid and therfore my drives will become two seperate hard drives once more and also I will lose the data on it?
    If so, is it possible to get an extra pci chip or something so that I can have both achi enabled for my ssd drive (Which btw has windows on it) and also have raid 0 for my two large bulk drives?

I want to be able to install the most important things on ssd that requires the fast speed, like the latest games, but less important things I still want to benefit from the extra speed of raid 0. since that will be the bulk of my applications and games.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: asrock z77 extreme 6 ssd drives and raid 0 problem

Not to worry, Do Not change from RAID mode to AHCI, there is no need to do so!

Yes, AHCI mode will enhance performance for both SSDs and HDDs, but the good news is RAID mode also has all the attributes and advantages that AHCI mode has. Intel calls AHCI mode a "subset of RAID mode".

When the SATA mode is set to RAID, and you are using the Intel IRST RAID (or AHCI driver, they are identical) driver, all single SSDs or HDDs (not part of a RAID volume) are treated the same as if the SATA mode was set to AHCI. TRIM works fine for single SSDs in RAID mode, and now works for RAID 0 volumes of SSDs in RAID 0 with Z77 chipsets. Actually, single drive performance may be slightly better in RAID mode than AHCI mode, due to certain aspects of RAID being active.

I always use RAID mode on Intel boards, even if I have no plans to create any RAID volumes. There are no tradeoffs in doing so IMO.

pontypool is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Not to worry, Do Not change from RAID mode to AHCI, there is no need to do so!

Yes, AHCI mode will enhance performance for both SSDs and HDDs, but the good news is RAID mode also has all the attributes and advantages that AHCI mode has. Intel calls AHCI mode a "subset of RAID mode".

When the SATA mode is set to RAID, and you are using the Intel IRST RAID (or AHCI driver, they are identical) driver, all single SSDs or HDDs (not part of a RAID volume) are treated the same as if the SATA mode was set to AHCI. TRIM works fine for single SSDs in RAID mode, and now works for RAID 0 volumes of SSDs in RAID 0 with Z77 chipsets. Actually, single drive performance may be slightly better in RAID mode than AHCI mode, due to certain aspects of RAID being active.

I always use RAID mode on Intel boards, even if I have no plans to create any RAID volumes. There are no tradeoffs in doing so IMO.
    So there's no point at all in enabling ahci ? whether you have single drives or raid 0? thanks for clarifying that, it saved me backing everything up and reinstalling again after changing the settings.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pontypool View Post
    So there's no point at all in enabling ahci ? whether you have single drives or raid 0? thanks for clarifying that, it saved me backing everything up and reinstalling again after changing the settings.
    That's right, when set to RAID, all non-RAID volume drives are really in AHCI mode. Intel's SATA chipset only has one setting for all its SATA ports, so you would loose your RAID 0 volume if you changed to AHCI mode.

Any RAID 0, RAID 1, etc, volumes also have all the features that AHCI provides, like NCQ. On some older boards that only had IDE and RAID mode selections, the only way to get the features of AHCI was to use RAID mode. RAID mode does not require you to have any RAID arrays/volumes, and all non-RAID array drives are really in AHCI mode.

Thread Information