Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XFast RAM

Default XFast RAM

What does the backup option do?

I have a B75 Pro3-M with the "ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility ver:0.1.189" and recently upgraded for 8 to 16GB of RAM assuming I would see a noticable difference when running LOL or DuesEx directly from the RAMdrive, but the files that i put there dissapear on startup.

If the backup checkbox doesnt backup that then what does it do? I also note that when turning off my PC now the RAMdriver signigicantly slows down the process.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: XFast RAM

The slowdown when you shutdown the PC indicates that the RAM drive is being backed up.

Do you have a folder on the RAM drive where you put those files? Not that that is a stated requirement, but just to be organized and easily keep track of the amount of space they are using.

The only thing I can think of is do you have AXTU set to auto start when the PC boots? There's a box at the very bottom of the AXTU screen to enable that. You don't need that checked for the RAM drive to be created/exist when the PC starts, but the auto start might be necessary for the backup files to be loaded.

Any chance that the RAM drive is not big enough to hold everything stored in it? Do you use it for other things, temp files, browser cache, etc? Does LOL or DuesEx save files of their own that might result in a size larger than the RAM drives capacity? If you check the Windows Properties of the RAM drive, is there a fair amount of unused space?

I'll try with the AXTU autosart option this weekend, I thought that was just a setup tool.

I have 16GB total RAM and was using 10GB for the ram drive. I moved VLC to the RAMdrive to see if the shuffle on all tracks would be smoother. Then next time I started my PC there was no VLC instalation. The folder is ~5MB, will double check.
    I'm currently only using the temp system and firefox and have changed the RAMdrive to 1GB, still 98% empty.

Anybody know where the RAMdrive is backed up to and how often?

If I can get this sorted I'd like to keep VLC and Leadue of Legends installed here (though I've barely noticed a marginal speed increase in load times) I may aso reinstall Firefox to the RAMdrive. But I'm not going to risk my internet browser in something that may not exist when I restart my PC.

So you literally installed games to the RAM drive? Why not of course, but consider if the backup (which is only done on shutdown AFAIK) is written to your OS drive on every shutdown, and then must be read from disk to the RAM drive, that will take some time depending on the size. If that one folder was only 5MB, that is really not much, I would expect games to be much more than that.

Since you can't configure where the backup goes, and I don't know where it is exactly, it must be on your C:/OS drive. With AXTU installed in the default location, the XFast RAM program is in, C:\Program Files\ASRock Utility\XFast RAM. That's one place to check.

It would be ironic if the backup was put in a system temp folder, which you had in the RAM drive, so it would be gone after writing to that folder on shutdown. But if it takes a while to backup the RAM drive, it seems it is being written to disk.

When I had an AXTU RAM drive, it was very fast. This benchmark was done with a 2GB RAM drive, on a dual channel memory board, with the memory at 1866 or 2000, can't remember:

XFast RAM-ramdisk-png
    Last edited by parsec; 06-01-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Fixed picture

therube is offline Member

(Invalid attachment?)

Parsec, I still dont have permission to acess your picture, possibly the forum doesnt like the png format? Nevermind just needed to verify my email

Restarted the PC dozens of times. still using the 1GB RAMdrive, the smaller size doesnt have any effect on howlong the process takes to finish when shutting down mu PC.

Looked in a couple of places in the C:\ but no luck in finding where the backup is made.

Placing empty folders and textfiles confirms that nothing extra is backed up on shutdown. So maybe this only effects the Firefox cookies?

I looked at some of the memory benchmark tools but they didnt seem terribly usefull. I already have a SSD for my OS so that doesnt get much faster. This means ReadyBoost is pointless. I've installed all my programs/music/vids/games on a HDD, so moving something from here to the RAMDrive should be benificial.
    I've dissabled pagefiling, if windows thinks I need it then I'll remove the RAMDrive.
    Last edited by raskalnickoff; 06-06-2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: can see pic

The new version of XFast RAM (for Haswell CPU boards) displays the path to the backup file, which can be changed, and has a default of, C:\users\yourID\My Documents. It's possible that the file is a hidden-type file, so you must set Show Hidden Files in the Explorer View options.

Consider this, assume the file is created on shutdown. Then on startup, it is used to load the RAM Drive (in theory...) and when it is done loading, the usual practice would be to remove the backup file. Why keep it around, if it's big that's sloppy programming. So looking for the backup file could be a waste of time. Given my scenario, how can we know it was created? Is it in the Recycle Bin?

Clearly the backup is not working for some reason. There is an entry in Device Manager under Storage Controllers for the ASRock RAM Disk, does that seem Ok? I've never seen any limitations, or descriptions, on how the backup works.

You might find something in the Windows log files about the RAM drive if it is failing or some kind of error exists.

The backup option definatly does something. With the option selected my PC takes a long time to turn off, because its waiting for the XFast Ram program. Dissabelling the backup and the PC shutsdown in seconds.

But it must only be backing up the system/user/FF temporary files. because nothing else I've put in there returns when I turn my PC on.

The other thing the backup may have been doing is saving to the C: every ten min or so incase of a power outage. If this was the case then I should be able to find the folder/file.

So to run games from the RAMDrive I'd have to install onto my HDD. then copy all the files across, each time I turn my PC on. Its too much hassle to have the savefiles anywhere other than in the default location on my SSD.

Thread Information