Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PCIE 3.0 with FM2a85x?

Default PCIE 3.0 with FM2a85x?

I've been told that all 3.0 cards are backwards compatible so I bought one even though this motherboard is only PCIE 2.0. I bought a AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16. I've tried installing it at both PCIE 4 and PCIE 2 but see no ouput to my monitor on either dvi port. I still get output from the onboard dvi and see that windows 7 isn't recognizing the card was added either. Do I have to change something in the bios? In the advanced Northbridge setup, PCIE is set as the primary graphics.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: PCIE 3.0 with FM2a85x?

There are five different FM2A85X... boards, so we don't know which one you have.

A PCIe 3.0 card should work fine in a PCIe 2.0 board. If the card is not recognized, check its mounting, power cables to the card, and if its fan runs. Did you install its driver?

If you have onboard graphics, there is always an option to switch between onboard and a separate graphics card. I don't have a FM2A85X... board, but my ASRock board has settings for Onboard and PCIe graphics, but that is it. Is there a setting for the speed of the PCIe lanes? My board has Auto, PCIe 3, and PCIe 2, check your settings and use PCIe 2, not Auto which might cause a problem.

Have you updated the BIOS of your mother board? What version are you using?

WARNING! Idiot now posting:

LMAO..okay, the quick start guide does NOT show a power cable to the card so I didn't hook it up. The "Is the fan working?" was a big clue. Thanks.

I am using the FM2a85X Extreme 6 motherboard with P1.07 bios.

Maybe you can answer another question. Do I have to use PCIE2 to get x16 speed? A couple review sites said to but using PCIE2 forces me to remove the legacy card I added for PATA so I could re-use my old DVD drive (pcie3 is covered up when using PCIE2 and pcie1 is so close that the data cord would be touching the back of the video card)

I also seem to have had to remove AMD Quickstream from the installed programs. I think it's just for onboard graphics and I kept getting an error saying the license wasn't for this computer.
    Last edited by SirLuck; 06-03-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Hmmm, well moved the video card to PCIE4 so I could keep the legacy card. The Windows Experience rating is still at 7.9 for video so maybe the slot doesn't matter?

Thread Information