Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Two FDDs supported on any current-gen boards?

Default Two FDDs supported on any current-gen boards?

To cut a long story short, I've got a combined 3.5" + 5.25" FDD unit that behaves as two drives on one cable. I'd like to keep this for my next upgrade.

Asrock appears to be the only manufacturer still offering boards with a FDD connector - the Z77 Extreme6, the 980DE-U3S3, the 990FX-Extreme4, etc. Unfortunately, from what I can see in the manual, the BIOS only allows support for a single FDD (A:) and there's no way to get it to support a second one. Is there some way around this, or do I (finally) have to give up on the FDDs?

Default Re: Two FDDs supported on any current-gen boards?

From the lack of replies, I'm guessing that the answer is "no, not a chance of getting two FDDs working". Correct?

Shiari is offline Member

Well, technically the current gen would be the 87 series. I don't know about other boards, but my Z87 Extreme6 doesn't have any floppy drive support. No idea why you'd want it anyway, but I guess you have your reasons. :)

I haven't found any Haswell boards that support a FDD. It'd have to be current-gen AMD since there are still a few AM3+ options with FDD support. As for reasons, there aren't any particularly good ones. I just like having the option of reading ancient disks without having to find an ancient computer to use with them; my current PC (Phenom II X4) can still boot to DOS 3.0 from the 5.25" FDD. Sometimes someone does need data retrieved from an ancient disk, but that's pretty rare.

Thread Information