Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues

I'm just curious btw, why are you doing or wanting to do the ethernet bonding kind of thing? For internet transfers, unless you happen to be on a very fast (faster than regular) fibre connection, you're not going to gain anything there. Between PC's, I guess there's some gain if you're on a 100Mbit LAN and transfering between computers. But personally I'm on a gigabit network, and I'm already somewhat short on available network ports -- I guess I should've gone for 8 port rather than 5 port switches as you loose two ports per switch that you use :).

parsec is offline Senior Member

Why use teaming for the two ports? As someone replied when asked why they climbed Everest, because it is there!

As you say, there likely is not much advantage to using it that way, since your ISP's speed will be the main limitation. BTW, I do have an eight port switch. With a team configured as ALB, it does seem slightly faster when the load is heavier, such as when downloading a large file (~150MB video driver) while surfing the 'Net.

Teaming works, I can set it up without compromise, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    No LAN/Teaming software on the Z87 EX 6 download pages? What's wrong with Lan driver ver:18.2.63.0?

I have that installed on my Z87 EX 6 board, configured a team, and it works fine.

Attachment 5887

You must have a multi-port network switch of course, with cables connected to both ports on the board, and then create and configure the team.

sgunes, if you have the Intel IRST AHCI/RAID SATA driver installed, and hopefully installed Windows with the SATA mode set to AHCI, you may need to configure things in the IRST Windows UI. There is a Performance option in that UI that should be configured for performance rather than power savings, since the Haswell platforms have all the annoying power saving features on everything now, including the SATA interface.

I would avoid the ASMedia SATA interface, or at least only use it with one drive connected. It's performance in the past with only two ports was bad enough, but with four ports now and likely still connected to just one PCIe lane (one in, one out) at 5Gb/s, it will only be worse. Why board manufactures still use these chips that are NOT capable of full SATA III speeds (and advertize them as such) is ridiculous.
    I have this board and it seems no matter what I do, I cannot get the Intel ProSet tabs to show up in the device manager for either NIC (on Win7 64-bit). I've tried both the 18.2 and 18.3 driver package (autorun utility with ANS tab checked during install). I've uninstalled, rebooted, installed the 18.2, no tabs; uninstalled, rebooted, installed 18.3, no tabs. Could you post a screenshot of the driver tab for one of the NICS?

Quote Originally Posted by ydoucare View Post
    I have this board and it seems no matter what I do, I cannot get the Intel ProSet tabs to show up in the device manager for either NIC (on Win7 64-bit). I've tried both the 18.2 and 18.3 driver package (autorun utility with ANS tab checked during install). I've uninstalled, rebooted, installed the 18.2, no tabs; uninstalled, rebooted, installed 18.3, no tabs. Could you post a screenshot of the driver tab for one of the NICS?
    Certainly.

Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues-z87-network-drivers-png

I used the LAN driver from my board's download page, Lan driver ver:18.2.63.0

I use a few Intel NIC cards on other PCs, and have used the Intel Network drivers that you mentioned. But the networking chips used on this board, the I217-V and the I211 are newer chips, and it seems that the usual 18... drivers cannot be used with the I211. Searching Intel downloads for the I211 drivers produces a different driver, and the I217-V is not included in that driver's compatibility list.

The driver that ASRock provides is able to install a different driver for each of these chips, and has worked perfectly for me from the start.

Certainly.

Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues-z87-network-drivers-png

I used the LAN driver from my board's download page, Lan driver ver:18.2.63.0

I use a few Intel NIC cards on other PCs, and have used the Intel Network drivers that you mentioned. But the networking chips used on this board, the I217-V and the I211 are newer chips, and it seems that the usual 18... drivers cannot be used with the I211. Searching Intel downloads for the I211 drivers produces a different driver, and the I217-V is not included in that driver's compatibility list.

The driver that ASRock provides is able to install a different driver for each of these chips, and has worked perfectly for me from the start.
    Thanks for the screenshots. I've tried the drivers from ASRock as well. If I install the drivers only (without ProSet & ANS) I get an Advanced tab. As soon as I install ProSet & ANS, the Advanced tab disappears. I've tried every which way of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers that I can think of and made sure the WMI service is running.

With the 18.2 drivers off the ASRock CD, I get the same driver versions as you, but still no ProSet tabs. :(
    Last edited by ydoucare; 07-05-2013 at 09:15 AM.

I don't know what to tell you about your problem. The only thing I came up with is an entry from the Release Notes for the Intel® Ethernet Connections CD download, which has drivers for all Intel Ethernet adapters:

You must upgrade PROSet when upgrading drivers. Failure to do so will
    result in instability and missing tabs in Windows Device Manager.

As I recall when installing the ASR sourced driver, the usual selections for PROSet, ANS, etc, was displayed. Isn't PROSet checked by default, but ANS is not checked? I went with the default selection, which worked fine. I wonder in your problem is selecting ANS?

I don't know what to tell you about your problem. The only thing I came up with is an entry from the Release Notes for the Intel® Ethernet Connections CD download, which has drivers for all Intel Ethernet adapters:

As I recall when installing the ASR sourced driver, the usual selections for PROSet, ANS, etc, was displayed. Isn't PROSet checked by default, but ANS is not checked? I went with the default selection, which worked fine. I wonder in your problem is selecting ANS?
    Of course, both ProSet and ANS tabs are checked. I've tried every which way of installing/uninstalling the drivers and ProSet/ANS together and separately. I guess i'm at a loss at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ydoucare View Post
    Of course, both ProSet and ANS tabs are checked. I've tried every which way of installing/uninstalling the drivers and ProSet/ANS together and separately. I guess i'm at a loss at this point.
    Yeah, I was just thinking that ANS is checked, that is correct.

Of course you see that your I211 has a newer driver than your I217, while mine are identical, date-wise, if not version. Which takes me back to:

In other words, is it possible the PROSet version you have, whatever the source, is older than the I211 driver? Stabbing in the dark here of course.

Yeah, I was just thinking that ANS is checked, that is correct.

Of course you see that your I211 has a newer driver than your I217, while mine are identical, date-wise, if not version. Which takes me back to:

In other words, is it possible the PROSet version you have, whatever the source, is older than the I211 driver? Stabbing in the dark here of course.
    Those are the versions I get if I install from the ASRock CD (which is the 18.2 package from Intel). I've tried installing the drivers alone (18.2), then installing ProSet/ANS with the same results. I know for sure i'm not mixing versions of the drivers and PROSet. Whenever I install drivers, i'm also updating PROSet. I'm going to go back and try the 18.1's next.

Success! 18.1's work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information