Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues

That's good. I used the file on the board's download page, and I don't know if it is different than what is on the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
    I'm just curious btw, why are you doing or wanting to do the ethernet bonding kind of thing? For internet transfers, unless you happen to be on a very fast (faster than regular) fibre connection, you're not going to gain anything there. Between PC's, I guess there's some gain if you're on a 100Mbit LAN and transfering between computers. But personally I'm on a gigabit network, and I'm already somewhat short on available network ports -- I guess I should've gone for 8 port rather than 5 port switches as you loose two ports per switch that you use :).
    I have the ASRock MB in my media server (Norco Case, 20 hot-swappable SATA drives) + 5 additional drives (9x4TB, 15x2TB + boot SSD Kingston HyperX). I put in 6 thousand feet of Cat5E cable in my house and I have a Dell PowerConnect 2824.
    With teaming, I can stream a bluray mkv to my HTPC in the living room while transferring files to my Macbook Pro and my wife can work on pictures or video on the Media server using her Macbook Air or her HP desktop.
    People always say: "why do you need a router that can do more than your internet speed?" D'oh, because there is more to computing than just being on the internet.

I had to edit: at the same time Crashplan may be copying files to the cloud.

Regarding the teaming. I did the auto setup and the Intel Proset drivers were not automatically loaded. I loaded them and then used the "load balancing".
    The taskmanager shows under networking 2Gbps speed. I disconnected one network cable from the media server at a time and it continued with file transfer without a hiccup.

Overall I am very happy with the ASRock. This was my first ASRock as the previous MBs were EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus and Abit (and going back DFI, PC Chips, PCS Elitegroup...).
    It deservers 5/5 eggs/stars.

BTW: is the "random" answer always 12? I thought the answer to it all was "42".
    Last edited by sgunes; 07-07-2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: added Crashplan

I'm just curious btw, why are you doing or wanting to do the ethernet bonding kind of thing? For internet transfers, unless you happen to be on a very fast (faster than regular) fibre connection, you're not going to gain anything there. Between PC's, I guess there's some gain if you're on a 100Mbit LAN and transfering between computers. But personally I'm on a gigabit network, and I'm already somewhat short on available network ports -- I guess I should've gone for 8 port rather than 5 port switches as you loose two ports per switch that you use :).
    For me personally, I have a NAS with dual NICs. The NAS is capable of saturating a 1 Gb link. Running a Netgear GS108T 8 port switch with LACP.

Quote Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
    ... I put in 6 thousand feet of Cat5E cable in my house and I have a Dell PowerConnect 2824.

Overall I am very happy with the ASRock. This was my first ASRock as the previous MBs were EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus and Abit (and going back DFI, PC Chips, PCS Elitegroup...).
    It deservers 5/5 eggs/stars.

BTW: is the "random" answer always 12? I thought the answer to it all was "42".
    Dayum, that's a lot of copper! But I get it. I had a lousy time running just 100 feet of CAT 5E from my router to my PC room, wireless is for "toy" devices IMO.

So far, my Z87 Ex 6 board and Haswell CPU are IMO good in some areas, not so good in others. ASRock gets some things really right, like the dual NICs and their UEFI booting support for Windows 8, the latter works great on my Z77 Ex 4 boards, which have been great boards IMO.

ASRock's UEFI's are basically complete without being overly complex for no reason, but given what I have seen about other manufactures Haswell boards, things are not right when it comes to the OC options IMO. Anyone ever try the BCLK "straps" of 125 or 167? At stock multiplier settings, the 125 BCLK setting will not boot at all. I've seen several screenshots of Haswell CPU's idling at less than 0.200V with other boards, using the latest CPU-Z versions that have been fixed. That is claimed to happen by just using the C3 C-State setting. The best I get is 0.750V using C6 or C7.

I saw a thread where a guy posted a BIOS/UEFI screenshot of his ASRock Z87 board, with the UEFI version that had the CPU Input voltage labeled as Vcore. Yes that has been fixed now, but the poor guy was embarrassed by the replies, like "... why are you using that board...", etc. I had to stop reading that thread...

Shiari is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    ASRock's UEFI's are basically complete without being overly complex for no reason, but given what I have seen about other manufactures Haswell boards, things are not right when it comes to the OC options IMO. Anyone ever try the BCLK "straps" of 125 or 167? At stock multiplier settings, the 125 BCLK setting will not boot at all. I've seen several screenshots of Haswell CPU's idling at less than 0.200V with other boards, using the latest CPU-Z versions that have been fixed. That is claimed to happen by just using the C3 C-State setting. The best I get is 0.750V using C6 or C7.
    If you set the BCLK strap you'll also need to set the core and uncore clocks down accordingly, or indeed you won't be able to boot. The BCLK is more to be able to get at say ~4375 when 4400 is just slightly beyond what your chip can do.

I've not played with any values to get my idle voltage that low, I don't really see the need with idle temps around 30c and a reported TDP of about 6W. It might not be possible with these AsRock boards ... I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I saw a thread where a guy posted a BIOS/UEFI screenshot of his ASRock Z87 board, with the UEFI version that had the CPU Input voltage labeled as Vcore. Yes that has been fixed now, but the poor guy was embarrassed by the replies, like "... why are you using that board...", etc. I had to stop reading that thread...
    That's just people being ****s. They're really not worth fussing over.

If you set the BCLK strap you'll also need to set the core and uncore clocks down accordingly, or indeed you won't be able to boot. The BCLK is more to be able to get at say ~4375 when 4400 is just slightly beyond what your chip can do.
    Yikes, what am I thinking, that is true! At a multiplier of 38, a 125 BCLK is 4.75GHz! At 167 that is 6.346Ghz... yeah, might need some adjusting for that setting...

I've not played with any values to get my idle voltage that low, I don't really see the need with idle temps around 30c and a reported TDP of about 6W. It might not be possible with these AsRock boards ... I don't know.
    My point here is if the ultra-low idle voltage is a feature of Haswell CPUs, then I expect it to function, at least under some circumstances. Of course now, IMO, there is some controversy over the CPU core voltage readings seen in various programs, what is being displayed, the VID or something else, and what is that something else? Are those core voltage readings less than 0.2V correct? I'm realizing how do I know one is right but another is wrong? Some are obvious (1.8V "Vcore") but I'm questioning everything at this point, given the discrepancies and all the changes we've seen in CPU-Z, AIDA64, etc, and are still seeing.

That's just people being ****s. They're really not worth fussing over.
    I agree, but imagine if the new digital speedometer in your new car mixed up KPH and MPH (100 KPH = ~62 MPH), so if KPH was displayed as the reading, it actually showed MPH, and vice versa. Every model in that manufacture's model year of cars had that issue. Imagine that year was also the first time that a switchable display between KPH and MPH was required in vehicles, so the specifications were clear cut and the same for everyone.

So the manufacture knew of the change, and had to implement and test it in their products. But in the end, it was done wrong, passed testing and verification, and was released to the public. Does that inspire confidence in the rest of the product, or at least in their testing procedures? IMO, no.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information