Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues

Unhappy Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues

I just got the MB yesterday with an i-5 4670S. Updated the UEFI to 1.4.
    Problem #1: the keyboard does not get recognized at times. I tried PS/2 and USB keyboard (hooked up to USB2 and USB3). Relatively minor problem.
    Problem #2: I get horrendous SATA transfer speeds. Right now I am copying a 31.5GB directory from a WD Green 2TB to a Hitachi Coolspin 4TB drive and my transfer speed is: 5.90 MB/s, expected to last another 3+ hours. I tried copying between the 6 Intel ports and also across the 4 ASMedia ports with the same ludicrous speed. I have installed the Intel SATA and ASMedia SATA drivers from the Install CD. This is a biggie as it is my Media/Fileserver!
    My third problem: how do I enable teaming with the 2 Intel Gigabit Ethernet adapters (connected to my Dell Powerconnect 2824).
    Thanks for any help.

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues

#1: For a USB keyboard, might be due to disabling legacy USB support? With that disabled mine works in UEFI and when I get to Windows. I can't use my keyboard when the "windows startup recovery" screen appears.
    #2: Perhaps try with the newer drivers on the ASRock website first? ASRock > Z87 Extreme6

Jon Skilling is offline Junior Member

Hi,

I have the same board which is working fine with SATA at speeds of 80-140 MB/s depending on the disks I'm using. Try the updated drivers and see what performance Crystal disk or HDtune gives each drive/port before transferring between them. If this doesn't look good then you may need to RMA the board. I'm assuming here that you're transferring between two internal drives both connected to ports on the board and not from internal to an external HDD.

#3 To team the NICs, you need some software/drivers which are not on AsRock download site yet. You could try this,

Network Connectivity How do I use Teaming with Advanced Networking Services (ANS)?

since they are Intel network adapters. Asrock normally seems to bring out it's own flavour of some drivers, so there may be compatibility issues, although I would guess that if you get the right Intel stuff for these adapters it should work fine.
    ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | Core i5 4670K Cooled by Corsair H50 | 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 GSkill | Gigabyte GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5 | Intel 240GB 335 SSD, 3 x 2TB & 1 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 24" LG Monitors | Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W | Yamaha Amp/Receiver | Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Skilling View Post
    Hi,

I have the same board which is working fine with SATA at speeds of 80-140 MB/s depending on the disks I'm using. Try the updated drivers and see what performance Crystal disk or HDtune gives each drive/port before transferring between them. If this doesn't look good then you may need to RMA the board. I'm assuming here that you're transferring between two internal drives both connected to ports on the board and not from internal to an external HDD.

#3 To team the NICs, you need some software/drivers which are not on AsRock download site yet. You could try this,

Network Connectivity How do I use Teaming with Advanced Networking Services (ANS)?

since they are Intel network adapters. Asrock normally seems to bring out it's own flavour of some drivers, so there may be compatibility issues, although I would guess that if you get the right Intel stuff for these adapters it should work fine.
    No LAN/Teaming software on the Z87 EX 6 download pages? What's wrong with Lan driver ver:18.2.63.0?

I have that installed on my Z87 EX 6 board, configured a team, and it works fine.

Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues-intel-lan-team-png

You must have a multi-port network switch of course, with cables connected to both ports on the board, and then create and configure the team.

sgunes, if you have the Intel IRST AHCI/RAID SATA driver installed, and hopefully installed Windows with the SATA mode set to AHCI, you may need to configure things in the IRST Windows UI. There is a Performance option in that UI that should be configured for performance rather than power savings, since the Haswell platforms have all the annoying power saving features on everything now, including the SATA interface.

I would avoid the ASMedia SATA interface, or at least only use it with one drive connected. It's performance in the past with only two ports was bad enough, but with four ports now and likely still connected to just one PCIe lane (one in, one out) at 5Gb/s, it will only be worse. Why board manufactures still use these chips that are NOT capable of full SATA III speeds (and advertize them as such) is ridiculous.

Parsec, you're right. I looked again and the Intel ANS is already part of the LAN driver package. Having said that, I've got this installed already and I don't get the additional tabs which you have displayed. From what I can make out in the manual, these tabs should appear once the LAN driver stuff is installed. Is there some other step here that I'm missing?

Sgunes, I sort of assumed that you had SATA mode set to AHCI, but the speed you're getting is still very slow for IDE mode. Another thing that occurs to me is that you might find one of your SATA cables is faulty. You should be able to discover this by benchmarking the individual drives, so that you can test different cables/ports etc.
    ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | Core i5 4670K Cooled by Corsair H50 | 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 GSkill | Gigabyte GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5 | Intel 240GB 335 SSD, 3 x 2TB & 1 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 24" LG Monitors | Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W | Yamaha Amp/Receiver | Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

Sorry, left out some details, I assumed you were familiar with teaming NICs.

Initially you won't have the team entry in Device Manager, that only appears after the team is created.

With that driver installed, and both LAN ports connected to your switch with cables, start Device Manager. You should seen entries for both NIC chips. The I217 seems to be the primary NIC, so open that one. You should see a Teaming tab when you open the Properties of the I217. Select that, and check the Team the adapter with other adapters, click New Team, and follow the prompts.

The most confusing part IMO is what type of team to create, there a several types. You'll need to read each one and see if it matches your needs. At first, just use Adaptive Load Balancing and don't worry about the other settings. Choosing the primary and secondary adapter (NIC) does not matter much, choose the I217 as primary.

Once it is all created it will take a few seconds for both NICs to become active. Once it's all done, you'll get the Device Manager entry for the team you created.

When you try it with your browser, you'll probably find it is no faster than a single NIC connection, since your ISP and source of a download are the limiting factors. If you have a LAN of multiple PCs in your house, your file transfer rates should be better, that is really the best test.

Talking Re: Z87 Extreme 6 with multiple issues

The PS/2 keyboard seems to work ok.
    I had a memory issue (MB may not be recognizing XMP 1.1 profile), swapped out different memory modules and it is recognizing 4GB (2x@GB 1600MHz) now.

In the Intel drivers I deleted all SATA energy-saving options as was recommended.

I am currently copying 3.7 TB from a Hitachi 4 TB Coolspin to a Hitachi 7200rpm drive (both on Intel ports) and I get about 55MB/s (mainly smaller files like FLAC and pdf).
    Simultaneously I am copying 3.7 TB from another Hitachi 4 TB Coolspin to a Hitachi 7200rpm drive which is connected to an ASMEdia port and I get 72.6MB/s.
    Those are expected speeds. Where I was getting the very slow speeds was while copying from hard drives connected to a Supermicro PCI 8 SATA 2 port card. I have 2 of those installed.
    I have to run some benchmarks to see if drives connected to it behave erratically.

At least I know that the 6 Intel SATA ports and the 4 ASMedia ports are working and I do not have to RMA the MB.
    I had a bad experience in the past on my EVGA SR-2 when the 2 Marvell SATA ports died on me.
    Thanks for everybody's response.

Once I have some time I will work on the Ethernet teaming.

Quote Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
    The PS/2 keyboard seems to work ok.
    I had a memory issue (MB may not be recognizing XMP 1.1 profile), swapped out different memory modules and it is recognizing 4GB (2x@GB 1600MHz) now.

In the Intel drivers I deleted all SATA energy-saving options as was recommended.

I am currently copying 3.7 TB from a Hitachi 4 TB Coolspin to a Hitachi 7200rpm drive (both on Intel ports) and I get about 55MB/s (mainly smaller files like FLAC and pdf).
    Simultaneously I am copying 3.7 TB from another Hitachi 4 TB Coolspin to a Hitachi 7200rpm drive which is connected to an ASMEdia port and I get 72.6MB/s.
    Those are expected speeds. Where I was getting the very slow speeds was while copying from hard drives connected to a Supermicro PCI 8 SATA 2 port card. I have 2 of those installed.
    I have to run some benchmarks to see if drives connected to it behave erratically.

At least I know that the 6 Intel SATA ports and the 4 ASMedia ports are working and I do not have to RMA the MB.
    I had a bad experience in the past on my EVGA SR-2 when the 2 Marvell SATA ports died on me.
    Thanks for everybody's response.

Once I have some time I will work on the Ethernet teaming.
    Update:
    The hard drive that was moving data very slowly (WD Green 2TB) was on the fritz. The other drives on the Supermicro PCI SATA card work well.
    The problem had nothing to do with the ASRock MB but with a single failing drive.

The network ethernet bonding did not work. I installed the Intel drivers and when I activated bonding, I lost internet connectivity. It seems to work as fail-over versus simultaneous working ports with 2 Gbps speed. That is not really crucial, so overall I am still happy with the motherboard. All SATA ports are working and busy.

Quote Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
    Update:
    The hard drive that was moving data very slowly (WD Green 2TB) was on the fritz. The other drives on the Supermicro PCI SATA card work well.
    The problem had nothing to do with the ASRock MB but with a single failing drive.

The network ethernet bonding did not work. I installed the Intel drivers and when I activated bonding, I lost internet connectivity. It seems to work as fail-over versus simultaneous working ports with 2 Gbps speed. That is not really crucial, so overall I am still happy with the motherboard. All SATA ports are working and busy.
    My teaming of the two NIC chips works fine. Depends on what type of teaming you use, you must configure it to one of several options. Try Adaptive load balancing.

How do you have the network connections set up? Do you have an Ethernet switch between your router and the PC? Two cables, one running to each RJ45 input?

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it :-) At least you didn't have to send the motherboard back. Sorry I can't help much with the bonding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information