Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Arrow Re: Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by Synomenon View Post
    Doesn't really matter now. I returned the Z87E-ITX. I will buy one again if ASRock:

- Fixes the mSATA slot
    - Puts the Z87 revision C2 chipset in it (to fix USB3.0 problems)
    Oh my god.... you're still believing the problem is at the defective slot but not the design of BIOS. You'd better find out what's the "difference" at the slot when the new version motherboard released.

[Deleted]
    S3 State nowadays turned on by default. But luckily I don't see any problem with USB 3.0 device after S3 mode.

Let me tell you more reasons not to buy AsRock.
    - The UEFI don't support NTFS format
    - The Instant Flash Program design is the worst.
    - The UEFI even has the basic problem with "Discharge and Exit"
    - The UEFI does not allow you to insert SLIC table without flashing ROM.
    - The UEFI would create further problem if you use PS/2 Keyboard.
    - The worst design in power saving.
    - AsRock has hidden bugs with USB drive (not compatible)
    - VBIOS NOT always up to date
    - ME firmware NOT always up to date

Why I bought Z87E-ITX?
    The answer is simple. Intel board has not released yet.
    Last edited by clever_anthony; 06-17-2013 at 10:40 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by clever_anthony View Post
    Oh my god.... you're still believing the problem is at the defective slot but not the design of BIOS. You'd better find out what's the "difference" at the slot when the new version motherboard released.

[Deleted]
    S3 State nowadays turned on by default. But luckily I don't see any problem with USB 3.0 device after S3 mode.

Let me tell you more reasons not to buy AsRock.
    - The UEFI don't support NTFS format
    - The Instant Flash Program design is the worst.
    - The UEFI even has the basic problem with "Discharge and Exit"
    - The UEFI does not allow you to insert SLIC table without flashing ROM.
    - The UEFI would create further problem if you use PS/2 Keyboard.
    - The worst design in power saving.
    - AsRock has hidden bugs with USB drive (not compatible)
    - VBIOS NOT always up to date
    - ME firmware NOT always up to date

Why I bought Z87E-ITX?
    The answer is simple. Intel board has not released yet.
    Are all these issues just with the Z87E-ITX board, or any ASRock board?

Instant Flash has worked great for me, different ASRock boards (three), never had a problem.

What does "Discard changes and Exit" do that is wrong?

Worst power saving design? In what way? The Tom's review of the Z87 Ex 6 board had the lowest power use of all the boards they tested in that review.

It is very common (Unfortunately) for drivers and firmware to be not updated in the download list of ALL mother board manufactures. IMO, ASRock did an above average job updating the RAID Option ROM and adding UEFI features for Windows 8, for the Z77 Ex 4 board.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Are all these issues just with the Z87E-ITX board, or any ASRock board?

Instant Flash has worked great for me, different ASRock boards (three), never had a problem.

What does "Discard changes and Exit" do that is wrong?

Worst power saving design? In what way? The Tom's review of the Z87 Ex 6 board had the lowest power use of all the boards they tested in that review.

It is very common (Unfortunately) for drivers and firmware to be not updated in the download list of ALL mother board manufactures. IMO, ASRock did an above average job updating the RAID Option ROM and adding UEFI features for Windows 8, for the Z77 Ex 4 board.
    I can tell some of the above issues can apply in any ASRock board as I think the designs are similar. As for the hidden bug about USB drive, that's from old ASRock Board but not Z87E-ITX.

Instant Flash
    The program Instant Flash (in Z87E-ITX Board) obviously just a simple program that did not consider more complex case. It do not allows you to borrow the file location. I just put the updated UEFI file in the USB HDD at root location, the Instant Flash searched for half hour and not allow me to stop when searching. When I point the mouse to the selected UEFI file with one click (I was just to want to select it with one click), it started to update without confirmation. This design really scared me.

Discard Changes and Exit
    Do not allow me to exit the UEFI and reboot.

Power Saving Design
    It is no doubt that the Hardware of Z87E-ITX is great. I'm extremely pleased with the hardware design. But I'm feeling bad with the software UEFI. From my view, the great UEFI design is to allow you having combination with Windows. For example, sleeping of Windows when away from computer. You may say you can just set it in the Windows. But I can tell Intel Board can do that without setting anything in Windows.

Firmware to be not updated in the download list
    So that's why ASRock Board has that many trouble. I've experienced the trouble from the past to now when switch the Board between Intel and ASRock. For example, now this board the LAN has problem when transmitting large file to NAS. You may say that is the problem from Windows or drivers! Give you one more past example to compare with. That's about iDTV connecting. For the same chipset, when using ASRock Board, it would lose the setting of resolution of monitor when computer / monitor awake. I've even plug a display card but the problem exist. Still now I don't know why. By reason for the same chipset, I switched to Intel Board without formatting the Windows. So most of those setting should be the same. Then the problem solved. That's only one thing. More more and more case I have seen due to the BIOS / UEFI.

ASRock, for me, great design on hardware. But after many years when you look back, Intel Board's UEFI design is still outstanding but the ASRock UEFI's bugs would float out. At that time, the support may be stopped. The most famous case is the 2TB HDD support. In fact Intel's BIOS design have already solved it before 3~4 years ASRock release the solution.

Typed too much. End.

Dear all,

About the mSATA slot in system browser issue, we have released BIOS L1.71A to fix it.
    Please download BIOS L1.71A from below link to try.
    Link: ASRock > Z87E-ITX
    Because SATA3_4 is shared with mSATA slot, SATA3_4 and mSATA slot will show detection together if connecting device to SATA3_ or mSATA slot.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Thanks for the update. Any word on the apparent incompatibility of the Z87E-ITX w/ dual-PCB mSATA drives like the 480GB Boost Edge Pro. or 480GB Mushkin Atlas?

What about the issue with eSATA connected drives not appearing in the system browser?

What happens if install another type of mini-PCIe card (not mSATA drive) in the mSATA/mini-PCIe slot? Does the sharing with SATA3_4 only apply if mSATA drive installed? Can we install mini-PCIe card, and still use SATA3_4 also?

If you install a non-storage device into the mSATA / mPCIe slot underneath, it will show in the system browser as what it's supposed to. When I inserted an Intel mPCIe wifi card into the mSATA slot, the system browser correctly identified it when hovering over the slot with the cursor.

If you insert a storage device into it (mSATA drive) the system browser will show both the mSATA slot and SATA4 port as being in use by that same device, as it should.

Ok, so if it's smart enough to report SATA4 in use with an mSATA device installed but not with mPCIe, then I think it should be possible to use all 6 normal SATA ports and mPCIe device at the same time?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by troyb View Post
    Ok, so if it's smart enough to report SATA4 in use with an mSATA device installed but not with mPCIe, then I think it should be possible to use all 6 normal SATA ports and mPCIe device at the same time?
    I doubt it, simply because whatever device is connected to the mPCIe slot, it then uses the (shared) PCIe lanes for its communication with the board. The ability of System Browser to detect a device or not is just a matter of how good its code is, and what it is checking.

For example, the Windows A-Tuning System Browser cannot correctly detect all the drives that make up a RAID 0 array, it only shows the first drive of the array populating the SATA ports, and the others as empty. It also cannot detect the size/capacity of the RAID array. My board has two NIC chips that can be used together as a team. When a team is created, this System Browser only shows one network port occupied and in use, while both are clearly working as reported in Device Manager, Window Network Center, and by my network switch.

I would not depend on System Browser to decide what will or will not work, or what is actually connected to the various ports. I may be wrong about your question, the only way to know is to try.

I agree relying on output of System Browser to determine this isn't really reliable. I was thinking more that if System Browser shows it this way, it's because it's intentional because it really does work this way.

It depends on how the sharing is designed. From what I understand, a combination mSATA/mPCIe slot requires traces going back to both the SATA controller and the PCIe root hub, and some method to switch between those depending on the device installed. So it would depend where that switch occurs. It also depends how they've implemented the sharing of the SATA port, in regards to detecting if devices are on one (or both) of SATA3_4 and mSATA port and deciding which should be active.

Anybody from ASRock able to confirm for me if it's possible to use a mPCIe card (eg. mPCIe LAN card) at the same time as using SATA3_4 port?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information