Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Default Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Got a new system setup with the Z87E-ITX. The mSATA slot isn't working properly though. If I screw the mSATA SSD down, the Z87E-ITX won't detect it. If I let the mSATA SSD unscrewed (flipped up) the Z87E-ITX does detect it.

Also on the Z77E-ITX, when a mSATA SSD was in the slot, the UEFI would show it in the system browser. In the Z87E-ITX, if a mSATA SSD is in the slot, the system browser will show the slot as empty, but SATA port 4 in use by the SSD. I guess this is because SATA port 4 and the mSATA slot share that port. If a mSATA SSD is in the slot, both the mSATA slot and SATA port 4 should show as being in use.

When I removed the mSATA SSD and put a mini-PCIe wifi card, USB card or TV tuner card in, the system browser would then show something in the mSATA slot.

Also, when I connect an eSATA dock (with a drive inserted into it) to the board's eSATA port, the system browser does not show anything plugged into that port. When I go to the page that shows the SATA ports where you can configure each one as hot-swappable, the drive in the dock does appear there.

Anyone else experience these issues?

Default Re: Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Dear Synomenon,

I did the test with Kingston 32GB mSATA SSD and eSATA drive, two devices can be detected normally under OS.
    The eSATA device also can be recognized in system browser with BIOS P1.40.
    Please update the latest BIOS P1.40 from below link to try again.
    Link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-...wnload&os=BIOS

About the mSATA card in system browser issue, our RD is working on it.
    If any update about this issue, I'll inform you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Thanks Emily.

I think the mSATA problem with my Z87E-ITX is due to a defective slot. I tried another mSATA SSD and it's exhibiting the same problem as the first mSATA SSD I tried using.

Yes, when the mSATA slot was working (mSATA SSD not screwed down) Windows would see it. The drive connected to the eSATA port was also seen by Windows. I'll try the new BIOS to see if System Browser does see the eSATA connected drive.

Another issue I'm have with the BIOS / UEFI is with the Power on w/ PS/2 Keyboard feature. With every other brand of motherboard I've had, there were options to power on w/ PS/2 Keyboard not with just the press of any key (as it is now with the Z77E-ITX / Z87E-ITX), but with key combos like Ctrl+Esc or Ctrl+Enter.

Ok, updated to BIOS / UEFI P1.40 and restored to default UEFI settings afterwards. Then I went back into the system browser and the eSATA (SATA port 5) still appears empty.

Also, I received a replacement Z87E-ITX from the store I purchased from (Newegg) and this new Z87E-ITX is having the same problem with my mSATA SSD (If I screw the mSATA SSD down, the Z87E-ITX won't detect it. If I let the mSATA SSD unscrewed (flipped up) the Z87E-ITX does detect it.). This time though, the mSATA SSD has to be angled just right or in different positions for the Z87E-ITX to detect it.

My mSATA SSD is this:
    Edge Memory 480GB Boost Pro. mSATA SSD:
    MacMall | Edge Memory 480GB Boost Pro MSATA Solid State Drive - SATA 6GB/S PE236700

It's the same model sold my Mushkin:
    Mushkin 480GB Atlas mSATA SSD
    Atlas mSATA 480GB

Ok, I did a little more troubleshooting and found a position in which the mSATA SSD doesn't "disconnect" and is always detected.

I after Windows booted, I ran AS SSD, ATTO and CrystalDisk Mark on the mSATA SSD. AS SSD and ATTO finish their tests, but when I run CrystalDisk Mark, the mSATA SSD disappears like it has become unplugged from the mSATA slot. When I reboot the system, the mSATA SSD shows up again.

Took the mSATA SSD out and placed it back in my laptop and it's working just fine.

This is weird and I don't want to deal with this in a brand new system. With these issues coupled with the Z87 USB3.0 bug I just learned about, I'm going back to my Ivy Bridge setup. I'm returning the board and processor and will wait until ASRock releases boards with the "fixed" Z87 chipset and hopefully a fixed mSATA slot too.

Same problem here with Intel 525 120GB.
    I installed system on mSATA SSD, and cannot boot up. I have another hardisk which also has system installed. When I switch to boot to another hardisk, mSATA will become workable again. Reset the 1st boot up order to be mSATA in BIOS, then the problem solved.

After shutdown the computer for a few hours, you have to do the above same thing to let mSATA bootable. So that you don't need to open your computer case.

That's not the same problem. I use this mSATA SSD as a storage drive. I tried changing the drive order and at some point had each drive as the first in the list. I have two drives only in this system; a 240GB Samsung 840 Pro. and the 500GB mSATA SSD. The mSATA slot only worked intermittently. The mSATA SSD had to be inserted a certain way and angled a certain way for it to be detected and this happened on two separate Z87E-ITX boards. I have that 500GB mSATA SSD in a laptop now and it is working just fine.

If you say like that, this is the hardware problem. So I believe the further new BIOS will not fix your problem and you dont need to update your BIOS.

Anyway, there is the so-called fixed BIOS (v1.42). Ask AsRock TSD and they will give you one. (I can't it upload here)

Doesn't really matter now. I returned the Z87E-ITX. I will buy one again if ASRock:

- Fixes the mSATA slot
    - Puts the Z87 revision C2 chipset in it (to fix USB3.0 problems)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information