Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New build problems

Default New build problems

Hi guys.

i have an issue when trying to install windows onto my new motherboard.

I have a new AsRock z77 Extreme4 motherboard. I have recently installed this into a brand new case as part of my first ever rebuild. I a, using my old hdd which has windows 7 installed.

as the copy of windows which I have installed is under an oem license, I have since acquired a new license key for windows 7 to use on the new install. However, I am having trouble getting to the stage where I can install.
    When looking at the BIOS screen, I can see that it detects a device but am unsure if this is the had which is installed. When I have selected that device as the boot option #1, windows starts to load, then goes into system recovery. I would have thought that as windows starts to run, that the motherboard is recognising the hdd otherwise where would it get the information to load windows?.

please can someone help? I have attached a picture to show the device which is being detected.
    Attached Images Attached Images New build problems-image-jpg 

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: New build problems

If you only have one harddrive in the system then yes, that is that harddrive (WDC = Western Digital (Corp?)) ... you don't have any other boot devices enabled though, e.g. no USB stick with a copy of the Windows install, no DVD drive to install Windows from. If installed properly you should be able to add those as a boot device in that same screen I think.

So, if I gained a copy of a windows 7 install disk and loaded that at the start, I should be able to boot from that?

I have a portable hdd that has a system imaged saved on it from my old computer. But when I try and boot from that, it does the same and goes into windows recovery.

therube is offline Member

I'm sure not following...

You should be able to boot from a Win7 DVD or a bootable Win7 Flash drive & then install Win7 onto your HDD.

Did your WDC HDD have Windows installed on it previously?

Windows was installed on the hdd but as it was an oem copy, I feel this may be the issue which is why I have acquired a new license key.

i am trying to find someone with a windows disc but currently drawing a blank.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You can download a legal win7 iso image file from Windows 7 ISO – Official Direct Download Links - Windows7Forums and burn it to a DVD. There is additional information in the remaining posts.

To avoid possible installation issues when installing win 7, there should only be one partition during the installation. If you have other partitions, you might be OK if you use partition management software to temporarily change other partitions to hidden partitions. If you are installing win 7 to an ssd, temporarily disconnect hard drives until the installation has completed.

To update to win7 SP1, search the web for windows 7 SP1 download.
    This will be much faster than using windows update to download the SP1 updates.
    You will still need to run windows update after you have installed all of the needed INF and other required installation files for your system.

FYI: With an OEM license, you should call Microsoft tech support and explain that you had to replace your motherboard or cpu because the old one died. They should tell you how to proceed so that you will have a legitimate win7 version on your new system. Obviously you can't run the same OEM license on two different machines.
    Last edited by profJim; 06-14-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

parsec is offline Senior Member

Any idea what hardware was on your old PC? As in CPU, mother board, etc?

You need to install Windows again, but as the other posts above have been trying to tell you, the source of the Windows installation files is not your old HDD. You cannot install Windows from a copy of Windows on a HDD.

Also, you just can't use a Windows installation from another PC on a new one, but not due to the license key being OEM. All the hardware drivers are likely not compatible with your new board. which is why it went into recovery mode.

therube is offline Member

> You can download a legal win7 iso image

You can just as easily download Win7 w/SP1 iso, Windows 7 With Service Pack 1 Direct Download Links [Official DigitalRiver].
    (Even so, you'll still have a ton of updates, but not a lot you can do about that.)

> You cannot install Windows from a copy of Windows on a HDD.

Actually you can.
    (I guess I was misinterpreting what you were saying.)
    You cannot use an installed version of Windows as the source for a new install.

You can install Windows, using an extracted ISO (or copied DVD) as source from an existing running Windows.
    But then MS comes along & does dumb stuff limiting particular combos that it allows or not.
    Like they will not allow you to install Win7 x64 from an existing running Win7 x86.
    (Work-arounds exist.)

UPDATE:

Ok, so I used one of the links mentioned above to download the ISO files for Win7Pro 64bit. Burnt the files onto a TDK DVD-R disk.

When I insert the disk into the new unit and select the disk drive as the boot option #1, it comes up with a message stating "reboot and select proper boot device o insert boot media"

As mentioned, the disk drive is selected and boot option #1 and my current hdd is #2.

Still nothing. Sorry for being such a noob with this. I just cant figure out what the issue is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information