Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: USB 3 headers??

Default USB 3 headers??

I bought a 990FX Extreme 3 mobo. It has two 3.0 USB ports attached to the backside of the mobo. I bought a case that had 3.0 ports. Does this mobo have a spot to plug in the case ports? I assumed that since it had ports on it that it would at least have a way to use the ones on my case.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: USB 3 headers??

No, only two USB 3.0 ports supplied by an add-on Etron chip. Does the AMD chipset on this board support USB 3.0?

rebelyell is offline Junior Member

I have the older 970 pro/3 board and it has the 2 usb 3.0 on the back and my case has option for 2 on the front. my board has the plug on the board to run the 3rd usb 3.0 to the front which I did. yea 990 supports usb 3.0 . so without looking I cant say for sure but I would certainly think there is more connections on that board.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelyell View Post
    I have the older 970 pro/3 board and it has the 2 usb 3.0 on the back and my case has option for 2 on the front. my board has the plug on the board to run the 3rd usb 3.0 to the front which I did. yea 990 supports usb 3.0 . so without looking I cant say for sure but I would certainly think there is more connections on that board.
    Not according to the board's specs, all it states is two USB 3.0 provided by the Etron chip:

ASRock > 990FX Extreme3

The AMD chipset may be USB 3.0 capable, but it was not implemented on this board, who knows why. The USB 3.0 connector on mother boards for case headers is completely different than any other USB header, and is not found on this board, sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Not according to the board's specs, all it states is two USB 3.0 provided by the Etron chip:

ASRock > 990FX Extreme3

The AMD chipset may be USB 3.0 capable, but it was not implemented on this board, who knows why. The USB 3.0 connector on mother boards for case headers is completely different than any other USB header, and is not found on this board, sorry to say.
    It doesn't have headers. Is there an adapter that I could get to plug into one of the USB 2.0 headers?

Quote Originally Posted by mb45sr View Post
    It doesn't have headers. Is there an adapter that I could get to plug into one of the USB 2.0 headers?
    Yes there is, I've used one and it worked fine. I forget where I found it, I think at Fry's. Here is an example of this type of adapter, does this look right for your case?

Silverstone Model G11303050-RT 6" Internal 19-Pin USB3.0 to USB2.0 Adapter Cable - Newegg.com

There was also a strange USB 3.0 adapter, that would plug into a USB 3.0 port on a board's I/O panel, then it was routed inside the PC case from the outside, and then connected to the case's front panel USB 3.0 cable. It is something like this:

Newegg.com - Baaqii CB048 USB 3.0 Motherboard 19-pin Internal Adapter to 2 Male 3.0 Type A Cable External

Kind of a mess of cables, but it apparently works.

I'll definetly have to get that adapter. It looks exactly like what I need...thanks.

Thread Information