Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: x79 Extreme6 can't flash BIOS "no image file detected"

Default x79 Extreme6 can't flash BIOS "no image file detected"

So I'm having issues with system freezes, maybe my SSD, maybe not. Either way, the Corsair support want my BIOS updated.

So I've read the tutorials and watched videos and searched Google for hours. I download the 'instant flash' version, extracted it to a FAT32 USB stick, pressed F2 on startup (have also used the same method with F6 to go straight there), clciked the flash BIOS feature.

'no image file detected'

I've tried every method. I've used multiple USB sticks. I've tried them in every USB port anywhere on my machine. I've checked and re-checked that I'm downloading the correct file for my board (X79E6G_2.10), re-downloaded it, tried it all again, then started over. It just doesn't work. No image file detected.

Now what?

I filled out a profile of my system specs but I don't know if anyone can see it. Windows 7 x64, i7 3930k, 32GB G.Skill RAM, 2x 240GB SSD's, 2x 1TB HDD's.
    Last edited by Shawn81; 06-16-2013 at 05:58 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: x79 Extreme6 can't flash BIOS "no image file detected"

First, I don't see a version 2.10 BIOS file for your board, it goes from 1.90 - 2.20, so if "X79E6G_2.10" is not a typo, I have no idea where you got that file from.

Use a USB 2.0 port on the board's I/O panel for the USB flash drive.

ASRock > X79 Extreme6/GB
    All I see is 2.10

I've tried every USB port. Including every one on the I/O panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn81 View Post
    ASRock > X79 Extreme6/GB
    All I see is 2.10

I've tried every USB port. Including every one on the I/O panel.
    Ok, it's from the "GB" series, that's new information, I checked the X79 Extreme 6 mother board standard page. Your board is not listed there.

All I can say is, the download file must be unzipped and the result copied to the USB flash drive. Each method of flashing the BIOS has its own version of the download file, so they cannot be interchanged.

For an experiment when using Instant Flash, you could put an earlier BIOS version on the USB flash drive, and have multiple BIOS versions on the drive. They should all be listed on the Instant Flash screen, although you don't need to select any of them. That might prove that the 1.90 download file is corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Ok, it's from the "GB" series, that's new information, I checked the X79 Extreme 6 mother board standard page. Your board is not listed there.

All I can say is, the download file must be unzipped and the result copied to the USB flash drive. Each method of flashing the BIOS has its own version of the download file, so they cannot be interchanged.

For an experiment when using Instant Flash, you could put an earlier BIOS version on the USB flash drive, and have multiple BIOS versions on the drive. They should all be listed on the Instant Flash screen, although you don't need to select any of them. That might prove that the 1.90 download file is corrupt.
    The only files listed that are newer than my 1.50 version are the 2.10 and 1.90. I downloaded both and put them on the USB drive. Unzipped of course. Tried every port again, etc etc. Nothing. No image file detected.

Strange, and must be driving you crazy. I've used Instant flash many times and it always worked fine.

Is the USB flash drive seen by the BIOS/UEFI? As in the System Browser, or in the the Boot menu as a device?

I just tried a USB 3.0 port (I/O panel) with a flash drive with a BIOS file in it, and Instant Flash detected it fine. Do you get the Refresh and Configure options on the Instant Flash screen? But, you may not get that far...

Have you tried clearing the CMOS/BIOS, resetting required settings, and trying Instant Flash yet again?

Well, I tried resetting the CMOS. Something went wrong, BOOTMGR stopped working, I troubleshooted it all night online before the conclusion was made that Windows had to be reinstalled. System Restore would not work, and neither would loading the backup image I have created automatically every week, so I don't know what the point of setting a backup was. Didn't work when I needed it.

The BIOS are still 1.50. That never got fixed. It never found the image and I never got the chance to try and update the BIOS. Spent all day reinstalling and re-updating Windows and still have hours to go of reinstalling all my programs and trying to get back everything I lost. I emailed ASrock days ago about the BIOS problem. Still haven't gotten a response.

Needless to say this is my first and last ASrock product.

Thread Information