Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help with Win8 and 3TB drive

jgrnt1 is offline Junior Member

Default Help with Win8 and 3TB drive

I hope you'll excuse what may sound like stupid questions. I haven't built a new system for a few years, so I'm working my way through UEFI.

First, the new system: H87M-ITX mobo, i7-4770S, 2x8GB Kingston Blue, 3TB WD Green, 64GB Sandisk SSD, EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost, Silverstone slot load Blu-Ray, Windows 8-64 OEM disk.

I want to set up the drives with Intel Smart Response Technology, so the SSD will function as a cache. Without thinking about the 2.2TB limitation, I installed Win 8 and had Smart Response working, but could not access the whole HD. I ran the 3TB utility and ended up with three partitions, which is not what I want. I figured out that I needed GPT instead of MBR. I used diskpart to clean the drive and set GPT. In UEFI, if I go to CSM and set everything to Legacy only, Windows Install sees the drive but says it cannot install Windows on the primary partition. If, in CSM, I set PXE and Storage to UEFI only, Windows Install does not see the drive and says a media driver is missing. The driver does not appear to be on the mobo CD. What I want is one large partition with Windows on it. I do not want to use the SSD as a boot drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Help with Win8 and 3TB drive

Formatting the 3TB HDD to GPT is correct to get access to all of it at once. When you install Windows, only have the target drive connected to the PC on an Intel SATA port, or Windows will put the boot partition on another drive. If that drive is removed, the PC won't boot.

What is the purpose of setting those CSM options? If you want to install Windows 8 in UEFI booting mode, set CSM to disabled, and you're done. Those other options are only useable after the OS is installed in UEFI booting mode.

parsec, Thanks for the reply. From what I read about Intel Smart Response Technology, both drives should be in place and SATA set to RAID, prior to installing Windows. My problem is not that Windows wants to install on the wrong drive, but that it does not see a drive at all. Are you saying if I disconnect the SSD, Windows Install will see the 3TB HD and let me use Smart Response when I reconnect the SSD after install? In Legacy mode, Windows saw both and let me install on the HD.

Regarding CSM, the EVGA card does not support UEFI without a firmware update, which has to be requested from EVGA, so I set video to Legacy only in CSM.

As long as CSM is enabled, using the video card as it is now (no GOP support in the Vbios) will work fine. I doubt you need to change any of those CSM settings to use the video card.

You of course must install Windows with the Intel SATA mode set to RAID to use SRT.

What I'm trying to tell you is even when Windows sees and allows you to select the correct drive for the OS installation, Windows will still put a small but essential part (boot partition) on another drive, in your case the SSD. That is a quirk of Windows that we cannot control, except by only having one drive connected when Windows is installed. PC builders have been dealing with this for years.

In your case, if the SSD and HDD were both connected when Windows is installed on the HDD, Windows will put the boot partition on the SSD, that is 99% guaranteed. The rest of Windows will be on the HDD.

When you later try to create your SRT caching setup, the SSD will be formatted as part of the SRT creation process, standard SRT procedure. That will remove the boot partition, and on a reboot, no Windows. The Intel IRST UI may even detect the boot partition on the SSD, and not allow you to create a cached volume.

Yes, you can connect the SSD any time to the PC after the OS installation and then use SRT. You could have an existing SRT setup, then remove/delete it, remove the SSD, replace it with another SSD, and create another SRT setup. SRT is a new type of RAID 0 volume, and RAID arrays can always be created and removed, drives added and changed, at any time (ignoring potential data loss of course.)

Forgive me if I'm being dense. If I disable CSM, or in CSM, if I enable UEFI for the video card, the system will not boot, so I set video to Legacy in CSM. If I leave everything as Legacy only in CSM, Windows Install sees the HD, sets the system partitions, but then says Windows cannot be installed on the primary partition. That is why I set everything except video to UEFI in CSM. Then I see no drives at all and Windows Installer says I need a media driver.

When I did the original install, I had the HD and SDD installed. Windows did the standard MBR setup. It installed fine on the HD and ISR worked fine. It did not attempt to install on the SSD. I just could not use the whole 3TB.

Unplugged the SSD and tried to reinstall Windows. If the DVD drive is in UEFI mode, Windows does not see the hard drive at all. It says "A media driver your computer needs is missing." If I understand GPT correctly, the DVD drive has to be in UEFI mode. ???

Quote Originally Posted by jgrnt1 View Post
    Forgive me if I'm being dense. If I disable CSM, or in CSM, if I enable UEFI for the video card, the system will not boot, so I set video to Legacy in CSM. If I leave everything as Legacy only in CSM, Windows Install sees the HD, sets the system partitions, but then says Windows cannot be installed on the primary partition. That is why I set everything except video to UEFI in CSM. Then I see no drives at all and Windows Installer says I need a media driver.

When I did the original install, I had the HD and SDD installed. Windows did the standard MBR setup. It installed fine on the HD and ISR worked fine. It did not attempt to install on the SSD. I just could not use the whole 3TB.
    I don't know what you mean by the DVD drive being in UEFI mode, in your last post. By this, do you mean Storage opROM policy must be set to UEFI?

Here is some information about GPT formatted disks:

Windows and GPT FAQ

So you're trying to install from the Windows 8 DVD now, and not the USB flash drive? The DVD drive must be on an Intel SATA port, a SATA II port is fine. You did not comment about this earlier, I cannot stress enough you must use the Intel ports for everything during an OS installation.

I would not set any of the CSM options to anything besides their default values.

I get the feeling your HDD is all confused now, and needs either a diskpart clean command, or to be formatted within the Windows installation. I also suggest formatting the HDD as GPT within Windows, in the Advanced options section. The media driver request you are seeing may be referring to the so called "F6" driver for RAID, found on your board's download page.

This is an installation guide for Windows 8 that may help you:

Clean Install - Windows 8

Emailed ASRock tech support. Got a response which said to set UEFI default, choose the UEFI DVD from the F11 boot menu and then load Windows. I got one 3TB drive after installation. The only problem was that UEFI default sets SATA to AHCI. Hooking the SSD back up and trying to change SATA to RAID (so I can use Intel Smart Response) results in Windows not booting. If I set UEFI default, then change SATA to RAID before installing Windows, it only sees 750GB of the drive. The rest doesn't even show up as unallocated space. Before each installation, I ran diskpart, cleaned the disk and set GPT.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrnt1 View Post
    Emailed ASRock tech support. Got a response which said to set UEFI default, choose the UEFI DVD from the F11 boot menu and then load Windows. I got one 3TB drive after installation. The only problem was that UEFI default sets SATA to AHCI. Hooking the SSD back up and trying to change SATA to RAID (so I can use Intel Smart Response) results in Windows not booting. If I set UEFI default, then change SATA to RAID before installing Windows, it only sees 750GB of the drive. The rest doesn't even show up as unallocated space. Before each installation, I ran diskpart, cleaned the disk and set GPT.
    Which is what I suggested. It seems you've never used RAID before. Why did you connect the SSD again? You do not need more than one drive to be in RAID mode. You can set the SATA mode to RAID and have one or more single, non-RAID volume drives and no RAID volumes at all, it does not matter. But that is after the OS installation, if two drives are connected during the installation, you will have problems later.

You now need to load the "F6" RAID driver during the OS installation. The file is... oh great, ASRock does not have it on your board's download page! Plus they are still listing the IRST 12.6 RAID driver, which Intel has removed from their download pages, since it has problems, which I experienced myself.

The RAID drivers you need can be found on this page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...adType=Drivers

All I can suggest at this point is during the Windows installation, reformat the HDD. There should be a Format and New button on the screen where you select where to install Windows. If the HDD is GPT when you start, a reformat will keep it GPT. Click on New, and follow the prompts. Check the guide I linked to earlier, which shows how that works.

But you gotta believe me, do not have the SSD connected when you install Windows in RAID mode, it is not necessary, and will just ruin things later when you try to use SRT!

Thread Information