Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unusably slow Win7 install from USB drive on X79

Default Unusably slow Win7 install from USB drive on X79

Hi,

I am trying to install Win7 Ultimate from a Toshiba USB3 drive onto a new system. When I try to boot from the Win7 install drive, the external drive spins up and the activity light goes crazy for several hours while a white cursor blinks on the screen - but nothing else happens. I have tried the drive on several USB ports, tried disconnecting all USB ports bar the drive and keyboard.

I have a Win7U license and a Win8 upgrade license, so can't install Win8 directly. I have no internal CD/dvd drive, and my install DVD is in another country so no luck there.

Board is an X79 Extreme6, I'm not entirely sure about bios revision, I just see "UEFI version 1.5" in the bios config screen. I have an SSD and a SATA3 HDD built in.

I have read that this happens with Win7 on some other boards and that you have to disable the floppy drive (I do not have one) but I cannot find an option to do this. Am I missing something very obvious? What other information would be helpful to figure this out? Apologies if this sounds stupid but I am very new to both UEFI and Asrock and am totally lost at this point.

Thanks for any help.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Unusably slow Win7 install from USB drive on X79

Two things may be the issue here.

First, the USB Windows 7 installation drive must be used on a USB 2.0 port on the boards I/O panel. Windows 7 does not have a native USB 3.0 driver, so none of the USB 3.0 ports will be active until their driver is installed.

Next, your target OS installation drive must be connected to an Intel SATA port, not one of the extra ASMedia SATA ports. Check your manual for the Intel SATA port locations.

When installing Windows, only have the target OS drive connected (or powered up) to the PC. Otherwise Windows will put the MBR on any other connected disk, and if that disk is removed or fails, Windows will no longer boot. That can be repaired, but its better to have it right the first time.

Also, what do you mean by the "external drive"? Is that your OS target drive? If so, that won't work. That external drive is causing problems, and I have no idea how it is connected to the board, USB, eSATA? Remove it while installing Windows.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Welcome to the forum.

ASRock > X79 Extreme6 Specifications says:
    USB 3.0
    - 4 x Rear USB 3.0 ports by TI, support USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s
    - 1 x Front USB 3.0 header (supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) by ASMedia ASM1042, supports USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s

I think that you are stuck with usb 2.0 speeds until win7 is installed and you are then able to load the TI and ASMedia usb 3.0 drivers.
    I don't know if there is a way to load these drivers from your usb drive at the beginning of the installation so that you can access your usb drive at 3.0 speeds which would be much, much faster.

Stupid question? No way, but you've gotta look out for stupid answers.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks very much for these tips - I will try this tomorrow.

I generally move move \Users off the SSD right after installation and link with a junction, but I can do that after I've got Win8 on the box.

I'll give a shout if it works. Much appreciated.

-John

Hi again,

it appears to be working - thanks to both of you.

It turns out the damned install image on the USB HDD was a dud! I got my grubby little hands on a loaner Windows 7 DVD and an external USB drive. However, I still had to take the steps described above:

- did not work with an external USB3 slot. Moving to USB2 got it working.
    - I had to remove the non-SSD HDD and move the SSD to a SATA2 port

It's currently happily installing. Thanks again, I may now finally have a working PC!!!

-John

Thread Information