Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need help buying a Video card and RAM compatible with my motherboard

Default Need help buying a Video card and RAM compatible with my motherboard

I have a dual monitor setup using 2 Syncmaster 2494 monitors and just ordered a third one. These are run using my NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460 card dvi. I just bought RAM and another video card from amazon and are worried they will not with with my motherboard which is a asrock p67 pro 3. Below is what I ordered:

RAM: Amazon.com: Kingston Technology HyperX Predator 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR3 PC3-17000 CL11 DIMM Motherboard Memory XMP T2 Series KHX21C11T2K2/16X: Computers & Accessories

Video Card: Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce 6200 512 MB DDR2 PCI 2.1 VGA/DVI-I/S-Video Graphics Card, 512-P1-N402-LR: Electronics

Pictures below are other specs of my computer:
    Need help buying a Video card and RAM compatible with my motherboard-7-jpg

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Need help buying a Video card and RAM compatible with my motherboard

Your memory is not listed in your board's memory support list, and lists only a few 8GB DIMMs, so it will be luck if it works, it may or may not.

The new video card has me wondering, what is its purpose? To replace the 460? You can't use them together, or at the same time to drive a third monitor. It is a PCI type video card, that will fit in your board.

Default Re: Need help buying a Video card and RAM compatible with my motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Your memory is not listed in your board's memory support list, and lists only a few 8GB DIMMs, so it will be luck if it works, it may or may not.

The new video card has me wondering, what is its purpose? To replace the 460? You can't use them together, or at the same time to drive a third monitor. It is a PCI type video card, that will fit in your board.
    The GeForce GTX 460 PCI Express 2.0 x 16 card I already have is connected to my 2 monitors currently. The video card I just listed that I bought from amazon is so I can attach a THIRD monitor. Why will this not work?

can anyone please help?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Actually, you may be able to use both cards, if you use Windows 7, I was wrong in my earlier post.

It also depends on your mother board, if it cooperates, which is hard to predict if you haven't used it, I have not.

It doesn't seem like very many people actually do this, so you may have some work ahead of you, depending on what your goal or usage will be.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Actually, you may be able to use both cards, if you use Windows 7, I was wrong in my earlier post.

It also depends on your mother board, if it cooperates, which is hard to predict if you haven't used it, I have not.

It doesn't seem like very many people actually do this, so you may have some work ahead of you, depending on what your goal or usage will be.
    My mother board is: asrock p67 pro3. Right now I currently have dual monitor setup using the Geforce GTX 460 PCI Express 2.0 x 16 card that I currently have in my system. The only thing I am trying to do is add a second card that will

support a third monitor and also add 16gb ram. My concerns are if the the the card I have purchased will work in my motherboard and also will the ram work? I am running windows 7 64-bit and all my system specs are above in the pictures.

Many thanks in advance for whoever can help. The third monitor, Ram, and Video card I have mentioned that I ordered arrive tomorrow and I want to make sure things go smoothly.

Shiari is offline Member

I believe that if you want to support 3 monitors in a seamless environment (ie a single desktop spread across three screens, where you can drag your windows from one to the other) that your displays need to be connected to the same card. I may be wrong on that though. And I know the newer GTX cards can do that, up to four monitors (though one would have to be connected on the displayport port).

Quote Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
    I believe that if you want to support 3 monitors in a seamless environment (ie a single desktop spread across three screens, where you can drag your windows from one to the other) that your displays need to be connected to the same card. I may be wrong on that though. And I know the newer GTX cards can do that, up to four monitors (though one would have to be connected on the displayport port).
    Can anyone else confirm this?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Mid-range Nvidia video cards will only support 2 monitors.
    A similar Radeon video card will support 3 monitors.

Adding a 2nd Nvidia card that is not a GTX 460 might let you run 3 different monitors.
    Creating an SLI setup with two GTX 460 video cards should easily drive 3 monitors.
    The 2nd Nvidia video card must have the same amount of video memory as the first card.
    Both cards can be from different manufacturers, but the gpu must be from the same gpu family.

Check out the following links for more information:
    SLI | FAQ | GeForce
    Introduction to SLI Technology | GeForce
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information