Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Crash Help: Z87 Extreme 6 - Driver Install

Default Crash Help: Z87 Extreme 6 - Driver Install

I just upgraded my computer and I ran into a problem installing the drivers for my new Z87 Extreme6 mobo. At the point of the driver installation of the Rapid Storage Tech driver install, my computer restarts to complete the installation. As it is rebooting, it stalls on the "Starting Windows" screen for about a minute and then it BSOD reboots. When I try to restart again, it does the same thing. I am able to do a System Restore and get the computer to boot, but as soon as I run the Driver Disk, it goes back to installing the Rapid Storage Tech driver and the same thing happens, of course.

So at this point I don't believe I have any drivers installed. I know I don't have the LAN driver installed because I have no network access. It is certainly an issue with the drivers because the computer boots fine otherwise after the system restore. I'm unable to start the driver installation over from the beginning because the system restore just takes me back to the point where the drivers are already being installed. Since I had to reinstall Windows after the hardware upgrade, i don't have another restore point. I'm looking for any help. I'll post what specs I have, but please feel free to ask me for more information as needed. Thank you.

Z87 Extreme6
    BIOS: P1.20
    CPU: i5-4670K
    Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
    Windows 7 Home - 64 bit

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: Crash Help: Z87 Extreme 6 - Driver Install

I can't really help you with an exact way to solve this, but I have had the exact same issues (just never have been sure of the exact cause). I'd suggest you download at least the LAN and INF drivers off the website, and put them on a usb stick or something.

You could try downloading drivers and installing them from safe mode, but I have no idea whether that would solve the issue (I didn't try that myself, I went for another re-install after getting desperate :)). You're probably going to have to re-install again. And if you re-install I'd recommend to make savepoints before each downloaded driver installation and take note of what you did, plus restart after each driver install to make sure you still boot properly. Though in the end I didn't need my notes, the problem didn't reappear for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
    I can't really help you with an exact way to solve this, but I have had the exact same issues (just never have been sure of the exact cause). I'd suggest you download at least the LAN and INF drivers off the website, and put them on a usb stick or something.

You could try downloading drivers and installing them from safe mode, but I have no idea whether that would solve the issue (I didn't try that myself, I went for another re-install after getting desperate :)). You're probably going to have to re-install again. And if you re-install I'd recommend to make savepoints before each downloaded driver installation and take note of what you did, plus restart after each driver install to make sure you still boot properly. Though in the end I didn't need my notes, the problem didn't reappear for me.
    Thank you very much for your feedback. I think I will try exactly this. I think I may try to install the LAN and INF drivers through the Easy Install in the BIOS just to see if that works. If not, then I'll do the full Windows reinstall.

Once you reinstalled, did you install the drivers off of the disk again, or did you use the USB method?

Shiari is offline Member

I didn't use USB, I downloaded them to my raid array. Same principle though :) Wouldn't use the cd, as the versions there are a bit older.

I'm at work now so it will be a few hours before I can try this, but I've downloaded the LAN and INF drivers to a USB drive. Should I use the Easy Install feature in the BIOS (which I think just installs the LAN driver first and then downloads the rest) or should I just boot up the computer and install them through windows?

Thank you again for your help.

Shiari is offline Member

I'm not sure what easy install does, but I very much doubt it can install drivers for you from within UEFI. I haven't used it, I simply installed Windows, SP1 (also downloaded beforehand, the full size "network install") and then installed the network and INF drivers and continued with the rest of the windows updates. When that was done I started the create restore point > install another driver > reboot cycle until I was fully up and running.

As a side note, I used the onboard graphics until everything was installed and working fine. It shouldn't matter to do that, but considering I was trying to find the problem of the crashes I wanted my system as barebones as possible until Windows was fully updated at least.

(And it still is working fine, at 4.6GHz OC and fully stable as far as I can tell :)

OK. I'll try the same thing and hopefully get the same results. I think I'm going to try to install the LAN and INF drivers first and see if it's still stable before I try another Windows reinstall. But if I run into any flak, I'll just start over at the Windows reinstall. I'll be sure to update my results. I'll be off work in about 3 hours and I can't wait to get this thing up and running. I want to thank you very much for your help. You've really given me a lot of hope in this frustrating situation.

Shiari is offline Member

Good luck, and you're welcome :)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Personally, I never use the driver installation disk, or any of these auto-driver installation programs. I just don't trust them, and installing drivers yourself is very simple. You can also choose what you install and when it is installed completely. The required restarts for some drivers, and then the disk driver installation program starting again, can be glitchy, and is slow IMO. I certainly don't want everything that is supplied, and if I do later, I can simply download and install.

A few driver installers will not run correctly from a USB drive, so just copy the installation program to the C drive (Downloads is a good place), extract from the .zip file if necessary, and run the executable. That is faster than reading the installer file(s) from the USB drive when it is run.

The order I suggest is (versions are for Windows 7):

1. INF driver ver:9.4.0.1017

2. Intel Management Engine driver ver:9.0.0.1287

After that, the order is not important. LAN, video, audio, and USB 3.0 drivers are important and basic. The new Intel NIC chips on this board must have the LAN driver installed before they will function. I always install the IRST driver and UI, which is not required but I use it and it increases SSD/HDD performance. A must IMO if you use RAID.

The ASMedia SATA3 driver ver:1.3.8.0 is needed for the ASMedia SATA ports.

IMO, the Smart Connect utility and driver is the most ridiculous "feature" I've ever seen. It starts the PC from Sleep mode, to update your email and social networking sites. Do people still download email? I refuse to give myself to (In Your) Facebook, or "like" things, which then shares all your Facebook information with all the tracking software associated with the "like" thing. After installing the DoNotTrackMe plugin for Firefox, it has apparently blocked 1,000 tracking attempts in a week or so.

VICTORY!

Thanks, Shiari. I was able to get it up and running without a hitch, so I didn't have to reinstall windows again. I summoned a lot of help across the internet, but you provided me with a speedy and successful response. I've got a grin ear to ear tonight thanks in large part to you. Thank you very very very much.

Parsec, thanks to you too. I'll use your advice going forward as I install a couple more of these optional drivers. It will be helpful to know what's not only unneccessary, but unwanted.

Thread Information