Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HDDs keep crashing! [Extreme 6/TB4]

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: HDDs keep crashing! [Extreme 6/TB4]

My watching and waiting is over... I'm not serious.

How did I know it was the ASMedia SATA controller that was the problem, I asked you about that... last year.

So you can't use the StationDrivers ASMedia 1061 2.0.4.0 driver because your board's ASMedia Option ROM is not up to date? You should be able to run the firmware update program if you could find a bootable DOS program you could put on a bootable USB flash drive.

The newest version of the ASMedia 1061 SATA driver, 1.4.1.0, that ASRock provides can be found here:

ASRock > Z87 Extreme6

ASRock does not have the ASMedia 1061 2.0.4.0 driver to download for any of their latest boards, so the chance you'll see it for your board is not good, IMO.

Elix is offline Junior Member

Parsec, my old friend! You're the man!

Yes, I tried to update that firmware under DOS but I keep getting "division by zero overflow" error. There's no instructions on installing this firmware that I know of. The best thing I could find out is that I will need to edit my motherboard's bios (install Option ROM). After that I gave up.

I don't like your prediction all that much but isn't this an ASRock support forum? :o

I'm never buying a motherboard on ASMedia controllers again.

By what means are you d/l'ing these vids? TV card, or other?

Also, are those HDDs fully spun up when this data stream begins coming at them? Or were they possibly in "Sleep' mode, either via OS or own, when the data was directed at them?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by Elix View Post
    I don't like your prediction all that much but isn't this an ASRock support forum?
    It is. Yet 99.999% of what's generated here in help is by enthusiasts, not by ASRock Support Staff themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    By what means are you d/l'ing these vids? TV card, or other?
    I use MakeMKV to rip my blu-rays to use on my HTPC. That makes up most of my content. If you're trying to accuse me of piracy. After having 1/3rd of my collection that I ripped myself being overwritten I re-downloaded them just to save time.
    Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Also, are those HDDs fully spun up when this data stream begins coming at them? Or were they possibly in "Sleep' mode, either via OS or own, when the data was directed at them?
    I'm familiar with Windows power management so I disable sleep for my HDDs. But you're trying to diagnose a problem here which has been already diagnosed. It is ASMedia sata controller which firmware is not up-to-date.

And I am appreciative of your and parsec's efforts in keeping this topic alive. It puzzles my why nobody else has posted with the same problem. Am I the only user of Extreme6/Tb4 which also uses 3Tb+ HDDs? I doubt it.

Also, is that your signature or you're telling me to fill information about my hardware? (I believe I already did).

I will try contacting ASRock directly about this matter.
    Last edited by Elix; 03-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Chill. I didn't breach the subject of piracy. Not even close, nor on my mind. I asked about TV cards and one would assume that to be episodic recordings of TV shows.

That's my Sig asking, not telling. Notice the "Please" please.

Well then, now that you're certain it's the controllers, I guess I'll box back up the 3TB drive I was about to connect to my Extreme6's ASM1061 controller and try to duplicate this. Hence my asking in my first post of how or what you used?

Let us know how it goes with ASRock Tech Support concerning this.

The latest DMDE is now at 2.8.0.542.

You should update as there have been many bugfixes, improvements, and new features added.

DMDE Version Change Log

I see, sorry for being overprotective. If you have the same board as I do I really recommend installing that program (DMDE) (edited: you beat me to it... :) I will check with updated version) and checking whether all of your HDD's space is allocated or not.

I will see this through either way: by persuading ASRock to issue an update or by scrapping this 'board for something more bug-free.

I see, sorry for being overprotective.
    No problems.

If you have the same board as I do I really recommend installing that program (DMDE) (edited: you beat me to it... :) I will check with updated version) and checking whether all of your HDD's space is allocated or not.
    It is, I can assure you of that.

I will see this through either way: by persuading ASRock to issue an update or by scrapping this 'board for something more bug-free.
    Ha! Good luck with that endeavor. I'm still searching for a bug-free board.

Note(or hint!): I put my BD and DVD drives on the ASMedia ports and they work just fine there.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Elix, I really think this problem is related to Windows 8, and the ASMedia driver not working well with it.

I am UEFI booting Windows 8.1 on my ASRock Z87 board, and I cannot even have the ASMedia controller enabled without the PC being unstable. I have it disabled, cannot use it at all.

I assume at least part of my problem is the lack of a UEFI compatible ASMedia Option ROM. ASRock suggests using the "new" ASMedia driver they added in the link I provided, I never bothered frankly. Don't forget that mother board manufactures get all the chipset drivers from the chip's manufacture, and can do nothing to modify them. If this issue is purely an Option ROM issue, then it's possible ASMedia is not providing an appropriate version.

Note that wardog is using Windows 7, and does not have this problem.

Have you ever tried using the built in Win 8 AHCI driver, storachi? You should be able to change to that driver manually via Device Manager.

Please understand I'm not trying to excuse ASRock, but there are realities about drivers, such as they are not modified or available to be modified by the board manufactures. Plus I am not 100% certain what the problem is, all I know with certainty, like you, is the ASMedia SATA ports do not work for us when using Windows 8.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information