Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDDs keep crashing! [Extreme 6/TB4]

Elix is offline Junior Member

Exclamation HDDs keep crashing! [Extreme 6/TB4]

I have 3 crashed HDDs in 4 months. HDDs are almost new (2 WDs Caviar Green 3Tb, 1 Seagate Barracuda 4Tb) and SMART shows no bad sectors. By 'crashed' I mean all video files (I store only video there) are messed up. The folder structure and files are there, they are readable but the contents are all messed up: I play one video and it shows me some fragments of other videos. As I think back it happens when I hard reset or boot up my computer. I have no idea what's going on. I already returned one HDD to a warranty service and they returned it to me saying it's perfectly healthy.

I had no power surges whatsoever. My PSU is very high quality too - FSP Aurum Pro AU-1000Pro (HDDs are connected rationally, 2 HDDs are connected to 1 line max). So the last suspect is my motherboard. If I won't be able to solve this riddle I will have to purchase NAS or something and will restrain from purchasing ASrock motherboards in the future.

therube is offline Member

Default Re: HDDs keep crashing! [Extreme 6/TB4]

Overclocking?

It is only "video" files that are messed up?
    All other files are intact?

Have you run diagnostics on you memory?

If you slave one of the drives into another computer, or attach via USB adapter (or the like), are the video files still corrupted?

---

I once had a failing Flash drive.
    File contents would corrupt, but file names (sizes & dates) & directory structure remained correct.
    Most everything on my Flash drive were backups of files already stored on my HDD so it made it easy to compare between the two & confirm actual corruption on the Flash end.
    Last edited by therube; 06-21-2013 at 07:26 AM.

No OC. I only have video files on these drives (besides subtitles). I am sure they would be messed up regardless of which computer uses these discs. I haven't run diagnostics on my memory (why should I?).
    I have found more corrupted files that I recently re-downloaded. This happened after I had to force shut down the computer because my computer hanged on PRE-BIOS state...

therube is offline Member

.srt are simply text files, so you could examine them visually looking for abnormalities.

Test, & or substitute memory.
    Try a different SATA cable.
    Try different SATA ports on the M/B.
    Other then your OS drive, only connect a single "video" drive.

Copy & verify known good video onto a Flash drive.
    Does it play correctly directly from the Flash drive?

Copy file from Flash drive to OS drive.
    Does it play correctly on OS drive?

Copy file from Flash drive to "video" drive.
    Does it play correct on there?

So I still think motherboard is at fault here. It's probably storage controller. I don't have hard evidence but what makes me think this way is:
    1) Occasionally on boot-up the system gives me the message it can't find OS. I have to go to bios and change HDD boot priority to my system drive (which is RAID SSD).
    2) I purchased a 4-disk NAS and installed some of the drives that were constantly losing data when they were installed on the motherboard to that NAS. 3 months up and running, no data losses as of now. And the new Seagate Barracuda 4Tb still screws up constantly. I've practically given up on storing anything on it.

If someone from ASRock team is present on this forum and has something to say it'd be appreciated. If not, I'm swapping this motherboard for a different one and never touching ASRock again.

But then again all those motherboards have the same controllers, it's either Asrock, or Intel, or Marvell. :|

parsec is offline Senior Member

This is on a Z77 Ex 6/TB4 board, are you using the ASMedia SATA chipset/ports, or only the Intel SATA chipset/ports?

Or does this happen on both the Intel and ASMedia SATA ports/connections?

Your OS must be on the Intel ports if it is a RAID volume. RAID mode has never caused problems for me with single drives.

Don't use the "Aggressive SATA Link Power Management" option in the BIOS, be sure it is disabled, it causes nothing but issues IMO.

What SATA drivers are you using, standard Windows 8, or others?

I assume you have the large HDDs formatted as GPT so they will be recognized?

There is a Windows Power Plan option, Advanced, to shut down disks after a certain amount of time. You could try setting that to never.

It is possible that the board has a problem. Two disks on one power cable is not to much, and I imagine you've checked the voltage readings of your PSU?

Thank you, parsec. I can only answer some of your questions later today, so I'll edit this post to include the information.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I understand, and will watch for your post.

It has taken me forever to find out but at last I have reached the root of the problem. The culprit is the ASMedia SATA controller. It doesn't detect drives > 2Tb properly. Even though I managed to format 3 Tb and 4 Tb drives in GPT and they were seen in Windows as 3 Tb and 4 Tb drives the controller saw this:

Here's a good explanation of the issue (sorry for Google translate).

Unfortunately, ASMedia SATA controller drivers listed on AsRock support page for my motherboard (Extreem6/Tb4) are expired and they exhibit this issue. I wasn't able to update these drivers myself (found here) as I needed a modified BIOS for this.

I wonder where other users of these motherboards and large HDDs are? In any case, the current state of things is unacceptable and I ask AsRock staff to address this problem ASAP by releasing new official BIOS and driver updates. It was a year of pain with this motherboard and I cannot describe my frustration fully enough.

Edit: As a side note, ASMedia USB controller drivers are also bugged and need an update.
    Last edited by Elix; 03-03-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information