Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New build, ASRock Z75 Pro 3, 4 beep code, no post

Default New build, ASRock Z75 Pro 3, 4 beep code, no post

Just tried a new build today, Z75 Pro 3 with i7-3770 cpu, 4x4Gb G.Skill ripjaws ddr3-1600 RAM, Sapphire HD 7770 GPU, Antec EA-500D PSU. Would not POST so I reseated RAM (just 2 sticks this time) and removed GPU, and I got 5 beeps. Found that means "without VGA card" (at ASRock > Support > FAQ) so I reinstalled GPU. Now I get 4 beeps which I do not see in that list. Where is my trouble?

Many thanks,
    kenstir

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New build, ASRock Z75 Pro 3, 4 beep code, no post

AMI BIOS four beep error code:

4 Beeps
    Four beeps means that the motherboard timer is not working properly. A hardware failure with an expansion card or the motherboard itself could be the cause of this beep code.

Remove the video card, connect the monitor to the onboard graphics on the board's I/O panel, and try again.

Thanks, parsec. I removed the graphics card and connected a monitor to the onboard d-sub. We're down to mobo + DRAM and still 4 beeps. Time to contact ASRock I think.

Bluismycat is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kenstir View Post
    Thanks, parsec. I removed the graphics card and connected a monitor to the onboard d-sub. We're down to mobo + DRAM and still 4 beeps. Time to contact ASRock I think.
    Yes 4 beeps on an AMI Bios is your timer 1 not functioning but it can also be an error in your base memory. Base memory is the minimum amount of RAM the system needs to function. So I would try your RAM before you contact ASRock. It would be good if you have different sticks to try but if not use what you have...start with 1 stick and go from there. No harm no foul, this will only take a minute and then you will know if it is the time and not the memory. As with most things...is a process of elimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluismycat View Post
    Yes 4 beeps on an AMI Bios is your timer 1 not functioning but it can also be an error in your base memory.
    Bluismycat, you were a great help! After installing known good memory into only the A1 slot, the motherboard will POST. Now here is my trouble: All the memory sticks work separately, but not together! I tried two different kinds of memory and both exhibit the same behavior.

Memory configurations I tried:
    1. G.SKILL F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL in A1 - ok
    2. G.SKILL in A1 and B1 - not ok, 4 beeps
    3.G.SKILL in A1 and A2 - ok, bios says single channel memory mode
    4. G.SKILL in all 4 slots - not ok, 4 beeps
    5. Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 (DDR3 1333) 2Gb in A1 - ok
    6. Corsair in A1 and B1 - not ok, 4 beeps
    7. Corsair in A1 and A2 - ok

Do you have a suggestion for getting all my memory to work? Is the memory incompatible? It is labelled DDR3-1600, which the motherboard is supposed to support.

Thanks very much for your help,
    Ken

parsec is offline Senior Member

First try two DIMMs, one in A2 and one in B2, which is what ASRock recommends as the best configuration for two DIMMs.

But it is starting to look like the B channel is not working. The two DIMMs in A1 and A2 should be single channel, that is normal. Try one DIMM in B2 and two DIMMs in B1 and B2 to test that channel. Your G.SKILL 16GB should be a matched kit, so unmatched DIMMs should not be the issue.

Try to keep track of which DIMMs you use, number them somehow, 1 2 3 4. That way you might find a bad DIMM.

Memory problems like that can also be caused by bent CPU socket pins. That is not good.

Sorry for my late reply but mate, it doesn't sound good for your B channel(s). Try one DIMM at a time and also try A2 B2 to get Dual channel but now might be the time to contact ASRock because I am pretty sure you won't get quad, as you know, quad is just 4 DIMMs. Have you tried running memtest86? You could try this as well but yes ASRock sounds your next course and at least now you can tell them where your problem is. Sorry I can't be of any more help (was hoping it was your RAM sticks) someone else might suggest something else but this is the way I would be going now.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bluismycat View Post
    Sorry for my late reply but mate, it doesn't sound good for your B channel(s). Try one DIMM at a time and also try A2 B2 to get Dual channel but now might be the time to contact ASRock because I am pretty sure you won't get quad, as you know, quad is just 4 DIMMs. Have you tried running memtest86? You could try this as well but yes ASRock sounds your next course and at least now you can tell them where your problem is. Sorry I can't be of any more help (was hoping it was your RAM sticks) someone else might suggest something else but this is the way I would be going now.

Dave
    Dave and parsec, you guys are right on. Looks like a bad B channel, since one single DIMM works in either A1 or A2 or A1+A2, but any combination of two known good DIMMs in B channels produces 4 beeps.

How do I diagnose a bent socket pin? I will remove the CPU and look but those suckers are very small.

Ken

Ok so that is a good point. Because if you seated the CPU yourself, it is not hard to bend a pin (Yes "CPU 101" but God knows I have done it). You will have to take the CPU out again, carefully. Then it is pretty easy to see if a pin is bent just by looking at the LGA pins in the motherboard. Being a new build, it would be a bit unusual (but not unheard of) to have a problem in your DIMM channels, so a bent pin does make sense. The only thing is...if a pin is bent then warranty is void.

My last build was a 3770K with an ASUS z77V Pro. I seated the CPU and then seated the mobo in the case and then went to connect the 24 pin ATX power socket only to find a dag of solder in one of the pins in the atx socket, from manufatcure. So I had to pull it out and send it back to be fixed. However, after I pulled the CPU out, I damaged the LGA pins putting the cap back on ( ASUS caps are different to ASRock). As I said...CPU 101...In the end, after much negotiation, I paid for the LGA pins $80 and ASUS fixed the atx socket.

You have to take out the CPU when you send the board back anyway, so I would be pulling it out and inspecting the LGA pins. As I said...you will be able to tell straight away if any pins are bent.

Dave

Just to close out this thread, I removed the CPU and did not see any bent pins. I was careful but this is only my 2nd build so I was nervous about that. I RMA'd the motherboard back to Newegg (love that store!) and will wait patiently for another one. Thanks tweakers!

Thread Information