Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 - Core Speed Fluctuating

upstate_luke is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock Z87 Extreme6 - Core Speed Fluctuating

It's been 5 years since my last build. I've OC my new build to 4.2 and 4.3 but when I stress test I'm seeing the core speed fluctuate from 4.1 - 4.2 , or 4.1 - 4.3.

Any suggestions on how I can stabilize this would be greatly appreciated.

My new build is in my profile.

Additional Info:
    OC adjusting the CPU Ratio (see settings below)
    Monitoring CPU speed with CPU-Z (beta 1.64.2)
    Stress Testing with Prime95 (v279 Win64)

BIOS Settings:

OC Tweaker Screen
    Load Optimized CPU OC Setting Disabled
    CPU Configuration
    CPU Ratio All Core
    All Core 42
    CPU Cache Ratio Auto
    BCLK/PCIE Frequency 100.00
    BCLK Ratio Auto
    Spread Spectrum Auto
    Intel SpeedStep Technology Enabled
    Intel Turbo Boost Technology Enabled
    Filter PLL Frequency Auto
    Internal PLL Frequency Auto
    PCIE PLL Selection Auto
    Long Duration Power Limit Auto
    Long Duration Maintained Auto
    Short Duration Power Limit Auto
    Primary Plane Current Limit Auto
    DRAM Timing Configuration
    Load XMP Setting XMP1.2 Profile 1
    DRAM Reference Clock Auto
    DRAM Frequency Auto
    FIVR Configuration
    FIVR Switch Frequency Signature Auto
    FIVR Switch Frequency Offset Auto
    CPU Voltage Mode Override Mode
    CPU Override Voltage 1.200
    CPU Voltage Offset Auto
    CPU Cache Voltage Mode Auto
    CPU Cache Override Voltage Auto
    CPU Cache Adaptive Voltage Auto
    CPU Cache Voltage Offset Auto
    System Agent Voltage Offset Auto
    CPU Analog IO Voltage Offset Auto
    CPU Digital IO Voltage Offset Auto
    CPU Integrated VR Faults Auto
    CPU Integrated VR Efficiency Mode Auto
    Voltage Configuration
    CPU Input Voltage Auto
    CPU Load-Line Calibration Callibration Level 5 Auto
    VCORE External Offset +0mV Auto
    DRAM Voltage 1.500V Auto
    PCH 1.05 Voltage 1.082V Auto
    PCH 1.5 Voltage 1.519V Auto
    Advance Screen
    CPU Configuration
    Active Processor Cores All
    CPU C States Support Auto
    Enhanced Halt State (C1E) Auto
    CPU C3 State Support Auto
    CPU C6 State Support Auto
    CPU C7 State Support Auto
    Package C State Support Disabled
    CPU Thermal Throttling Enabled
    No-Execute Memory Protection Enabled
    Intel Virtualization Technology Enabled
    Hardware Prefetcher Enabled
    Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch Enabled
    Last edited by upstate_luke; 06-21-2013 at 09:13 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 - Core Speed Fluctuating

Barely any information provided:

How did you OC?

How are you monitoring the CPU speed?

Stress testing with what?

CPU settings in the BIOS? Using power saving options?

Sorry about the lack of details Parsec, I was half asleep when I posted. I've edited my OP to include all the details you asked for.

Please let me know if any other details are needed.

Thanks

Dear upstate_luke,

Please kindly provide your e-mail for me via PM.
    I'll send the latest BIOS to you for testing.

Thank you!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

It looks like you have all power saving options enabled.
    When your system is at idle, you will probably see your cpu speed and Vcore voltage with low values, and this is normal with your settings.
    I assume that you have windows power plan set to Balanced.
    Parsec can provide additional information.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

ASRock TSD - Emily - I've sent my email (maybe twice - sorry), I'll be happy to try the latest bios.

profJim - I've confirmed that my windows power plan is set to Balanced

Update:
    I've updated to the 1.60A UEFI and in the end have resolved the cpu throttling I was previously experiencing. There is a new setting included in this version on the OC Tweaker Screen under CPU Configuration called CPU OC fixed mode which did the trick in the end. The other item to note is that the default values for some of the settings under voltage configuration were different then UEFI 1.4. I left the default values that loaded with 1.60A.

What I did:
    - Updated to UEFI 1.60A
    - Reset to default values
    - Put all OC settings back that I had before, did not enable CPU OC fixed mode
    - Performed quick test and CPU throttling still occurred (fluctuating 4.1 - 4.2)
    - Applied CPU OC fixed mode
    - Performed quick test and core speed remained at constant 4.2

Items to note:
    - Power saving features that reduced CPU core speed when under light load or idle no longer work. CPU OC fixed mode appears to override any other settings that would throttle the cpu, be it under load or while idle.
    - Changed voltage configuration defaults with 1.60A UEFI
    CPU input voltage - Fixed mode
    Fixed voltage - 1.900V
    CPU Load Line Calibration - Level 1

It would be nice if I could take advantage of some of the power saving features while the system is idle but for now I can proceed with OC testing knowing the core speed is steady.

I'll run some tests now to see if it's stable at 4.2 and see what my temps look like.

Thanks again to all that replied and to Emily from ASRock for the updated UEFI.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Thanks for the detailed update, upstate_luke.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by upstate_luke View Post
    Update:
    I've updated to the 1.60A UEFI and in the end have resolved the cpu throttling I was previously experiencing. There is a new setting included in this version on the OC Tweaker Screen under CPU Configuration called CPU OC fixed mode which did the trick in the end. The other item to note is that the default values for some of the settings under voltage configuration were different then UEFI 1.4. I left the default values that loaded with 1.60A.

What I did:
    - Updated to UEFI 1.60A
    - Reset to default values
    - Put all OC settings back that I had before, did not enable CPU OC fixed mode
    - Performed quick test and CPU throttling still occurred (fluctuating 4.1 - 4.2)

Items to note:
    - Power saving features that reduced CPU core speed when under light load or idle no longer work. CPU OC fixed mode appears to override any other settings that would throttle the cpu, be it under load or while idle.
    - Changed voltage configuration defaults with 1.60A UEFI
    CPU input voltage - Fixed mode
    Fixed voltage - 1.900V
    CPU Load Line Calibration - Level 1

It would be nice if I could take advantage of some of the power saving features while the system is idle but for now I can proceed with OC testing knowing the core speed is steady.

I'll run some tests now to see if it's stable at 4.2 and see what my temps look like.

Thanks again to all that replied and to Emily from ASRock for the updated UEFI.
    The term "CPU throttling" caught my eye, and is a common occurrence with Haswell CPUs.

During stress testing, Haswell CPUs run warmer than ANY previous Intel CPU, and I have used everything from Pentium D to Haswell. While stress testing my i5-4670K with AIDA64, using the CPU and FPU test together, I experienced CPU thermal throttling for the first time ever. Otherwise, if that did not occur, I did not see any fluctuations in CPU core speeds, testing at 4.2GHz or 4.4GHz.

Standard after market CPU coolers like a CM 212 are completely inadequate for cooling Haswell 'K' CPUs when OC'd and stress testing. My Corsair H60 with two fans is also not enough to prevent CPU core temps to hit 100C with AVX testing enabled. Core temps hit 100C in under 30 seconds, and AIDA64 displays CPU throttling occurring. That is why "delidding" Haswell CPUs, and using custom water cooling setups is the only way to keep the CPU cores under 100C and prevent throttling.

IF that new CPU setting in the UEFI prevents throttling to occur, IMO that is not a good thing. It may prevent the first stage of throttling to occur, but hopefully it does not somehow prevent the other higher level throttling and CPU over heating shutdown to occur.

Haswell CPUs are easily controlled by the Windows CPU power plan settings. In the Advanced Power plan options, setting Minimum processor state to 0% - 5% allows the CPU to shift into power saving mode, and run at 800MHz. That is also related to the C-States settings for the CPU in the UEFI to various degrees, depending on the settings.

I cannot stress enough how different Haswell CPUs are regarding their stress testing temperatures, and how all the standard third party CPU coolers we've used in the past that worked great, are now woefully inadequate for stress testing use with Haswell CPUs. Check the New Posts link at the top of the TTown forum page, and read through any of the Haswell related threads and you'll see what I mean.

Shiari is offline Member

To chime in on what Parsec already said:

Quote Originally Posted by upstate_luke View Post
    Performed quick test and CPU throttling still occurred (fluctuating 4.1 - 4.2)
    You apparently are running into throttling at 4.2 GHz? That must be a terrible roll of the silicon dice. What is the batch number of your CPU? I've got a L310 myself and can manage 4.6 without throttling, which is perhaps just above average behaviour.

Oh and throttling would happen somewhere in the 90-100 degree range ... you really need to report your temperatures as well, rather than just clockspeed.

Other than going by the info in 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform | Overclockers, what I've found to be a good way to get to a stable overclock on my Haswell 4770K is this:

- Get your memory to default (auto) settings.

- Using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), lower the voltage, run a stress test for 5-10 min, if it's stable save that profile, lower voltage again, etc. Repeat this until you start crashing, and you should now have an overclock with basic stability. On each step, lower the voltage by about 20mV or so. Make sure the CPU doesn't start throttling; if it does, you either have too much voltage or a very bad overclocker.

- Use the AIDA64 Stability Test to determine whether the overclock is really stable. If you lowered the voltages etc as far as you can with XTU, you'll probably crash at this stage. You'll have to up the voltage a little, and do so until AIDA64 is stable as well. You'll probably see higher temperatures than from XTU as well, but you won't see these temperatures in regular day to day use.

- Finally, encode a movie with Handbrake. It is likely this will crash you again, but if it doesn't, you've most likely reached full stability at the given clock (for me, Handbrake hasn't crashed me yet).

- At this point you could work on getting the maximum out of your memory as well, though you won't see major benefits there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information