Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock visionx gets very hot

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock visionx gets very hot

Quote Originally Posted by galerus View Post
    You would not believe how my problem (black screens with "no signal" message) was resolved.
    First, I was able to defeat overheating. As it turns out - CPU Fan was not spinning with max speed despite it stands 100% in CCC settings. I dont know why but it turns max speed only after I checked it in BIOS.
    With fan on max revs temperature of GPU was 45 degrees on idle and after 40 mins of heavy load it raises only to 62. Super progress!
    But my PC was transfering signal to monitor only in open (unscrewed) state. When it is assembled then no signal whatsoever. It drives me mad. I kept checking out all ideas to narrow down the problem. And then I almost ran out of ideas the final thought was not to screw the PC, just to cover it with plastic cover. And it worked. I don't know why - maybe metal plate (the one which covers all hardware and bears only button for oppening) had jamming something or caused some shortage of power... just dont know. But I pull it away and everytinhg worked.

If someone else had told me this kind of story I would not believe. But as it happens to myself I have no choise. :D
    I'm glad my idea of opening the top of the case worked, but that is not really a good solution. I never knew it was very warm in Siberia (Ok, West Siberia), the image we have of it in the West is a very cold place. Good to learn the truth, but I imagine cold in winter, hot in summer?

I don't know what to suggest about the black screen when the cover is put on the PC. So it does that immediately when you put the cover on, the screen goes black? I wonder if there is a tiny switch that is normally pressed when the cover is on but is meant to turn off the monitor if the cover is open. Now that switch is stuck or moved, and is not working right. Just a guess, but your idea about the metal plate touching or moving something is probably right.

The CPU fan speed can be controlled in two ways, with the BIOS setting as you know, and also with the AXTU program, the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility ver:0.1.255 on your PC's download page. It may be installed now.

When you run AXTU, and have the "Autorun on Startup" option checked in AXTU, the fan speed control settings on the AXTU screen will be used instead of the BIOS settings. The CPU fan setting in the BIOS might be Full On, but if the AXTU CPU fan speed setting is different, the fan speed will change to the AXTU setting. So if you run AXTU, which I think you might be doing to check the CPU temperature, you may be changing the CPU fan speed.

Also, the Automatic CPU fan speed setting has temperatures that set the fan speed. The temperature it is using may not be low enough to speed up the CPU fan.

The AXTU fan speed controls might help you find a better setting for cooling the PC. The fan for the disk drive might be connected to the mother board, if you see two fan speeds in the AXTU hardware monitoring screen, the other one should be that fan. You may not be able to control its speed, but if you can, try to speed it up.

But, a PC like the VisionX (do you have a 321B or 323B?) should not need to be looked after like that, it should just work without issues. I would consider returning it if possible, if it continues to have basic problems like overheating during normal use.

parsec, thanks for the reply.
    I planned to install AXTU later today, I have not install anything from disk provided with the PC except drivers.
    I use some third party applications to monitor temperatures - GPU-Z, CPU-Z. If AXTU has option not only to monitor but to control things then it is a "must have" program.
    Black screens happens then I tightly screw the metal plate to chassis. Need to take a close look for "tiny switch" you meant, maybe it is exist. :)
    I've considered returning PC to retailer but it a bit complicated as I bought it via internet from Moscow (it is about 1,5 thousand miles from me). So it means I need to send it back by mail. For the info, post service here in Russia is awfull (things disapearing, things went broke, custom delays and other bad things). I really, really don't want to do it. :)

p.s. About weather. You are right - in West Siberia we have huge temperature differential during year. Winter is cold - minus 30 degrees, summer is hot - plus 30 degrees. In East Siberia it is even worse - minus 40 (even 50 sometimes) at winter and plus 20-25 at summer.
    Last edited by galerus; 06-26-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Definitely try AXTU, it is good for checking the PC's temperatures and adjusting the fan speeds in real time. That means you can change the speed settings and then see what temperatures are the result. I'm curious if that disk drive fan will be shown in AXTU. It might be connected to the "Power Fan" connector, that does not allow any speed control, but that is standard for any mother board. If you could adjust its speed, that may help keep things cooler.

I wonder if it is possible to add another fan to that PC, but I doubt that is possible. It is possible to add a second hard drive to that PC, but that would only add to the heat being generated. I don't understand how the heat from this PC is meant to be dissipated, since it seems to only have the one vent on the rear panel.

I understand that it is not easy to return things over such great distances, too bad.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

The bottom of the case has vents along 3 edges.

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Good, first time I've seen that picture. Given those vents, I'd suggest raising the case with taller "feet" or something to enhance air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Good, first time I've seen that picture. Given those vents, I'd suggest raising the case with taller "feet" or something to enhance air flow.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I would make sure that the bottom of the case is at least 25mm above a hard surface and that the PC is on a low table.
    Enhancing airflow will definitely be a challenge!
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    I would make sure that the bottom of the case is at least 25mm above a hard surface and that the PC is on a low table.
    Enhancing airflow will definitely be a challenge!
    Exactly, many things could work, even a thick book that was small enough in the other two dimensions would work. Also, a roughly square piece of wood, would do too. (wood would Prof Jim, just for you, as well as, would do too, too)

I'd like a marble pedestal of just the perfect length and width dimensions, about two inches/5cm thick. It would look great and even absorb some heat.

I think that parsec's tutu is too tight to let him post so that others would understand his humor.
    A marble pedestal that includes an ice water fountain would do better than wood would do, due to improved cooling .......

Thanks for all your tips, I have done them all, drivers, fan speed, and raised up

It now runs as cool as a fridge

I hope everyone else gets the same result

Quote Originally Posted by dean legg View Post
    Opened the AXTU and set the fan target speed to full on, and the CPU temp is 62c
    @dean
    Glad to hear that your system is now running cooler.
    What is your Cpu temperature now?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information