Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock visionx gets very hot

Default Asrock visionx gets very hot

Hi Sean

Just bought asrock visionx, works great for 5 mins then shut down, was very hot
    So I put a large fan on it and tried again and all seems good
    Any ideas to keep it cool without a massive fan churning away
    Im in the Caribbean and its 30c every day
    thanks dean

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock visionx gets very hot

Are there vents on the bottom of that case? Does that PC have any fans? Where do you have it located, on a solid surface I hope?

Even laptops have fans and I'm sure your Visionx does too. Is the AXTU program installed? That allows you to control the speeds of fans connected to the mother board, and check their speed. You'll need to increase the fan speeds if possible, and locate the PC in a location with air circulation, out of direct sunlight.

Run AXTU, and check the CPU temperature and mother board temperature. It seems you'll need to set the CPU fan to a higher speed, since it cools both the CPU and the video chip. That can also be done in the BIOS. Verify that the CPU fan is running by checking its speed in AXTU. The HDD has a fan of its own, but I don't think you can control it.

If you did anything to over clock the CPU, set it back to stock settings, as any OC adds a lot of heat.

That little case needs to breath, and nothing should be stacked on the case. You can remove the top cover of the case, which may be necessary to keep it cool. That won't expose the internal components completely so it is relatively safe, but do this at your own risk.

A 30C ambient temperature is warm, but not that warm. That PC is basically a laptop in a larger box with more features and connectivity. If you tweaked the BIOS to increase performance, you'll likely need to set things back to power saving mode to reduce internal temperatures.

Hi, Dean.
    I've recently bought Vision X too. And got same problem - overheating - too.
    Maybe my solution will not help you but who knows.
    First of all be sure you have installed ALL of the drivers from the disk provided with VisionX.
    I had not install one of these drivers and that was the core off overheating trouble.

Why i didn't install it? Because i thought that one of this drivers was just RAID driver and I have no plans to use RAID. As I understood lately that was not only RAID driver but SATA driver as well. And without it computer (HDD) can't work properly. It has been hot like hell and turns off after 5 mins, just like in your case.
    I reinstall all of the drivers and all gone well after that.
    Check drivers, hope it helps. :)

Thanks for the reply
    just put the disc in and clicked install all drivers , and the pc shut down and restarted
    is this normal

Under the driver list I can't see the RAID or SATA driver , is it named something different?

Quote Originally Posted by dean legg View Post
    Under the driver list I can't see the RAID or SATA driver , is it named something different?
    Yeah, it is named not straight RAID or SATA, something different. Clicking Install All drivers worked for me.

I can't check this out now because I have new problem with Vision X. It is black screens. And no one seems to know how to solve it. :(

Opened the AXTU and set the fan target speed to full on, and the CPU temp is 62c

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dean legg View Post
    Opened the AXTU and set the fan target speed to full on, and the CPU temp is 62c
    It's 62C now that you've turned the CPU fan speed to full on? That's a bit high for that type of PC if it is just idling, meaning not running any programs besides AXTU.

After installing drivers, it is normal for the PC to restart, some of them need to reboot to complete the installation process.

The SATA driver mentioned earlier is: Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:11.6.0.1030

You probably have it installed now, so that may help with your heat issues.

So, I will add some gasoline on fire of overheating issue.

My "black screen" problem actually is another side of overheating.
    I've opened the PC and power it on in this state. It worked fine while opened - idle temperatures of hardware was 56 CPU, 58 GPU, 49 MB. For the sake of testing I've loaded GPU with heavy application - temperature rises to 75 and stoped on this mark (tested for 20 minutes).
    But then I assemble Pc and in close space hadware temperature start climbing up - 78, 82, 85, 88, 92 - in mere minutes. And then - black screen!
    So I assumed that the problem was not in drivers - it is overheating. After some thoughts I came to an idea that it is not GPU what overheats - it is HDD failure causing that black screen. HDD much more prone to heat than any other hardware and in Vision X it is located right over the most hot unit - GPU.
    Any advices how to solve it? Or maybe mistakes in my thoughts?

p.s. forgot to mention other significant things - 1) we have really hot summer here in West Siberia (Russia) - 30-35 degrees five days in a row.
    2) No overclocking - I reset BIOS to default before starting the PC.
    3) PC standing on solid surface with nothing around it.
    4) Fans were working fine - I set CPU fan to Full On.
    5) I even underclocked GPU lowering frequency and memory clocks under heavy load.
    Last edited by galerus; 06-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.

You would not believe how my problem (black screens with "no signal" message) was resolved.
    First, I was able to defeat overheating. As it turns out - CPU Fan was not spinning with max speed despite it stands 100% in CCC settings. I dont know why but it turns max speed only after I checked it in BIOS.
    With fan on max revs temperature of GPU was 45 degrees on idle and after 40 mins of heavy load it raises only to 62. Super progress!
    But my PC was transfering signal to monitor only in open (unscrewed) state. When it is assembled then no signal whatsoever. It drives me mad. I kept checking out all ideas to narrow down the problem. And then I almost ran out of ideas the final thought was not to screw the PC, just to cover it with plastic cover. And it worked. I don't know why - maybe metal plate (the one which covers all hardware and bears only button for oppening) had jamming something or caused some shortage of power... just dont know. But I pull it away and everytinhg worked.

If someone else had told me this kind of story I would not believe. But as it happens to myself I have no choise. :D
    Last edited by galerus; 06-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information