Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 UEFI 1.90

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 UEFI 1.90

Quote Originally Posted by SLK View Post
    I reverted to P1.40 and I still cannot get the idle voltage to drop. I am losing patience big time with asrock.
    Well, I knew when I was buying into Haswell this early on that I would probably have to consider myself one of the betatesters, no matter what manufacturer I'd choose (though yeah, manufacturer support for the early adopters will certainly vary, and my expectancies of AsRock were a bit higher .. they really ought to be more communicative around here).

To the issue at hand though, is it really that vital at this point that the idle voltage is as low as it can be, as long as your temperatures are reasonable? I'd only be upset about that long term after they've ironed out the initial bios issues

In any case, try clearing the CMOS, maybe something groovy is going on with old 1.90 settings still lingering around? Or alternatively, flip the bios switch and work with the other bios and settings for the time being.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Shiari, I agree about the Adaptive voltage setting, just left it on Auto as an example of what is happening, that it's not some manual setting that is causing my results.

I'm not concerned about the 1.9V CPU input voltage compared to the other issues, but as SLK said, if you don't need it, why have it? Your analogy about the water pipes/plumbing is not bad at all, it's quite accurate IMO.

SLK, to fix your CPU fan speed, run A-Tuning and set the CPU fan speed there, in FAN-tastic. That will override the BIOS setting. That is, if you stick with 1.90, which I highly doubt I will, since the steps backwards it has are much worse than the steps forward. But be careful with the OC Tweaker screen in A-Tuning, it will pick up a random multiplier, if yours is changing, and applying the OC Tweaker settings will set whatever the multiplier is as the max multiplier. Same thing as in AXTU on the IB boards. Checking the Auto apply option in A-Tuning will result in things you may not want.

Now to see if it is even possible to change to UEFI 1.40...

So let's see, we found these things after five minutes of trying to set an OC setting. Is it possible that these things (stuck core voltage at 800MHz for example) were simply overlooked, or are by design? Plus the removal of all previous BIOS versions? I don't get it, if 1.90 is considered correct, I will need to consider other options... and I don't mean BIOS options.

If asrock made a negative offset option in adaptive voltage mode it would work out well.

Edit: I give up. I tried bios 1.20 all the way to 1.90 and they all have the same overclock options and behavior. This needs fixed and fast or else I won't be using this board anymore. No point in owning a "K" cpu with this board.
    Last edited by SLK; 06-30-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I was going to say, welcome to the world of Haswell. But I had not tried to OC since I applied UEFI 1.90, and after reading your post...

... now that I've OC'd with 1.90, I agree that things are being set for us. I agree about your other points, this is not good!

Any core ratio/multiplier above the max turbo multi, 38 for example, sets the CPU input voltage to Fixed, 1.90. Yes, the CPU Fan speed is set to Full On. Yes, the core voltage will not drop even on Adaptive when the CPU frequency is at 800MHz. That is with ALL C-States enabled, including Package C-States, and with the Windows power option Processor power management, Minimum processor state set to 0%. My CPU core voltage would drop to ~0.750V with the core speeds at 800MHz. Right now I'm at 800MHz core clock, and the core voltages are 1.220V!!

With this or previous UEFI versions, I could run all four cores at 3.8GHz at 1.20V easily!! Make that less than 1.20V!!

I'm using Adaptive voltages for core and cache, Auto settings for adaptive voltages. Oh well, UEFI version 1.90 is broken for any OC settings!

Or would someone from ASRock please explain why we cannot have CPU power savings when we apply the slightest CPU OC?
    well that explains a lot. initially I thought I was doing something wrong but couldn't figure out what it was.

this is super annoying.

It just surprises me that I didn't kill my HDD yet with how many reboots I have done today. Glad I have an SSD as the main boot drive.

I want to go over some things that just don't work at all in the bios... even on 1.20. It seems these options are just place holders and have no function even though you enable them.

FIVR Switch Frequency Signature - Has no affect what so ever.
    FIVR Switch offset - Nothing happens when you select a positive or negative offset

Cstates don't seem to enable or disable. It just seems that EIST is functioning.

Once you start adjusting CPU ratio, it seems to automatically add 0.1v to the vcore on auto and adaptive voltage. Which makes my 4.0ghz overclock shoot to 1.30v and throttle. We have no option for a negative offset.

CPU Integrated VR Faults and CPU integrated VR Efficiency mode - have no effect on any setting

Adaptive voltage vcore adjustment - does not function on any version of the Bios

Load Line calibration gives the same result on Level 1 thru 5. I have no clue if LLC is even being applied since the voltage just spikes like crazy.

I can honestly say all the bios releases so far for overclocking have all been broken.

SLK, I have had no problems with C-States, but Haswell or this UEFI is very controlled by the Windows power plan, in the Advanced options, Processor power management. Set Minimum processor state to 0%. With that and C-States enabled, the core voltage would drop to ~0.750V. I could switch between power plans, with one with the Minimum processor state set to 0%, and another power plan with it set to 100%, and watch the core voltage and core speed drop to 0.750V/800MHz, or 1.20V/4.3Ghz.

BUT, that was with earlier versions of the UEFI, up to 1.40. With 1.90 the voltage will NOT drop even with those power plan settings with multi above 38. That is with Adaptive on Auto. I'm going to play with this UEFI a while and see what I can come up with, if anything. But you should be able to get the voltage to drop with UEFI 1.40 and setting Minimum processor state to 0%.

I have read in various forum threads that some other mobos will drop the core voltage into the ~0.1V range when power saving options are enabled. Can't get that with this board, even at stock multipliers! Frankly, whenever I tried FIVR settings and some of the others, the PC failed to boot! I gave up on them too.

What are you using for testing? I've been using AIDA64, now with the 2522 build. My temps and stability are great... on stock clocks, etc, with 1.90, big deal, right?

For a test, try selecting one of the auto OC options, just to see what settings it uses.

Quote Originally Posted by computatorium View Post
    well that explains a lot. initially I thought I was doing something wrong but couldn't figure out what it was.

this is super annoying.
    So you are seeing the same things as the rest of us with 1.90? Not that I'm surprised...

Perhaps we should use the contact ASRock support option in the UEFI, to see what they have to say about all this.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    So you are seeing the same things as the rest of us with 1.90? Not that I'm surprised...

Perhaps we should use the contact ASRock support option in the UEFI, to see what they have to say about all this.
    yep, seeing the exact same thing.

although, I was under the impression that the new 0.1V state wasn't supported in current versions of Windows, and MS was adding it to 8.1

Are you saying that the adaptive voltage selection is the only selection that drops the Vcore? If so then I am aware of it... It spikes my vcore way to high under load. I think 1.3v is too much. Minimum power state is on 0% and my voltage does not drop unless its on Adaptive voltage - auto. I have Cstates enabled and tried C3, C6, C7 to no avail.

I have been using IBT 2.54 and prime 95 with AVX. My CPU is capable of doing 4.4 ghz with 1.2v but this board will not let me drop the volts unless I use voltage override.

Quote Originally Posted by SLK View Post
    Are you saying that the adaptive voltage selection is the only selection that drops the Vcore? If so then I am aware of it... It spikes my vcore way to high under load. I think 1.3v is too much. Minimum power state is on 0% and my voltage does not drop unless its on Adaptive voltage - auto. I have Cstates enabled and tried C3, C6, C7 to no avail.

I have been using IBT 2.54 and prime 95 with AVX. My CPU is capable of doing 4.4 ghz with 1.2v but this board will not let me drop the volts unless I use voltage override.
    SLK, Yes, adaptive is the only way I can get the core voltage to drop, even with the minimum power state at 0%. I can't see any way to set a negative voltage offset (ie, -0.10V) using "override" (setting voltage manually) or adaptive. Adaptive would be Ok if it didn't increase the voltage to 1.3V (or beyond I've seen) as you said. Apparently Intel states that adaptive is meant to work that way when an OC is used.

I've been experimenting with how low an override voltage I can set and boot, etc, which I will then apply to adaptive and see what I get. Still using UEFI 1.90 that is.

computatorium Regarding the 0.1V core voltage, I've seen a few references to this in forum threads a couple weeks old, using Windows 7 in most cases. I'm sure none of those people were using Windows 8.1. Whether or not it is true is another thing, I saw a screenshot or two of core voltages less than 0.2V in CPU-Z, so if that was just wrong, who knows?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information