Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 UEFI 1.90

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 UEFI 1.90

UEFI version 1.90 was just released for the ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 mother board. UEFI 1.90 is now the only version available on this board's download page.

This update sets all UEFI settings to their default values, and will remove any UEFI setting profiles that users may have created in the past. Several new options were added to the UEFI with this update, so the profiles for earlier UEFI versions are no longer compatible. Users will need to set non-default UEFI settings that are important to their system's configuration (RAID, boot order, CPU and memory settings, etc.)

The Instant Flash method of updating the UEFI worked perfectly, I have not tried the other methods.

My first impressions are all positive, and my issue with the earlier UEFI versions, the mislabeled CPU Input Voltage has been fixed. The CPU core voltage display (Vcore) has also been fixed. Thanks for both of those updates.

The freezing issue in the UEFI that some users reported did not happen while I used the UEFI UI.

I'll be trying my CPU OC settings soon, so we'll see how that goes. I hope other users of this board and UEFI version will post their findings in this thread, thanks to those that participate.

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 UEFI 1.90

Thanks for the heads up parsec. I'll have a play later.

Shiari is offline Member

Working fine so far. Fortunately I posted screenshots with my overclock settings online, which I could refer to on another computer. Still need to re-tweak my memory settings too though.

Yes, just found 1.90 by chance, thought I'd start a thread about it.

Have you ever used the "DRAM Tweaker" option in the DRAM configuration menu? Where you "Fine tune the DRAM settings by leaving marks in checkboxes. Click OK to confirm and apply your new settings"?

It's not a new option, but I've never tried it and really don't get what the point is.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, in the previous versions of the UEFI, in the PCH 1.5V Voltage option in OC Tweaker, the current value field (not the one you change) would display 1.704V even when I had the voltage set to Auto, or set to 1.5V. Now in 1.90, the values displayed is 1.50V when the value is set to 1.50V.

I'll mention this, although not a big issue IMO, as far as I know. Given the on-die voltage regulators that Haswell CPU's have, there are fewer voltage rails supplied to Haswell CPUs, but there still are two rails. Those are:

1. The main voltage rail (CPU input voltage), initial power up value of 1.7V, Intel labels this as VCC/VCC.
    2. The voltage rail for the memory interface, Intel labels this as VDDQ/VDDQ. The "typical" value is 1.5V, +/-5%.

AFAIK, VDDQ is not the DDR Voltage we have been setting for our DRAM memory for years, or DRAM Voltage in the UEFI. Note that DRAM Voltage is included in the same section as CPU Input voltage (VCC). I think other Z87 mother boards have a separate DRAM Voltage setting, and a setting for the memory interface voltage rail.

So there are two voltage rails into the processor, VCC and VDDQ. My point is do we have a VDDQ voltage rail setting? I don't think so. If it's there, I'd love to know what it is. How significant this voltage rail is and if we need to have control over it is not clear to me.
    Last edited by parsec; 06-29-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes, just found 1.90 by chance, thought I'd start a thread about it.

Have you ever used the "DRAM Tweaker" option in the DRAM configuration menu? Where you "Fine tune the DRAM settings by leaving marks in checkboxes. Click OK to confirm and apply your new settings"?

It's not a new option, but I've never tried it and really don't get what the point is.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, in the previous versions of the UEFI, in the PCH 1.5V Voltage option in OC Tweaker, the current value field (not the one you change) would display 1.704V even when I had the voltage set to Auto, or set to 1.5V. Now in 1.90, the values displayed is 1.50V when the value is set to 1.50V.

I'll mention this, although not a big issue IMO, as far as I know. Given the on-die voltage regulators that Haswell CPU's have, there are fewer voltage rails supplied to Haswell CPUs, but there still are two rails. Those are:

1. The main voltage rail (CPU input voltage), initial power up value of 1.7V, Intel labels this as VCC/VCC.
    2. The voltage rail for the memory interface, Intel labels this as VDDQ/VDDQ. The "typical" value is 1.5V, +/-5%.

AFAIK, VDDQ is not the DDR Voltage we have been setting for our DRAM memory for years, or DRAM Voltage in the UEFI. Note that DRAM Voltage is included in the same section as CPU Input voltage (VCC). I think other Z87 mother boards have a separate DRAM Voltage setting, and a setting for the memory interface voltage rail.

So there are two voltage rails into the processor, VCC and VDDQ. My point is do we have a VDDQ voltage rail setting? I don't think so. If it's there, I'd love to know what it is. How significant this voltage rail is and if we need to have control over it is not clear to me.
    I have an Extreme 6 now too.

I noticed everytime you manually change OC settings, it sets your FIVR voltage to 1.90v and sets fan speed to 'full' everytime you enter the bios. Also, on my Extreme 4 and 6, I cannot adjust a negative offset without setting a fixed voltage. I also can't force the ratio unless I use the "force OC" option. I will get 3500mhz no matter what unless I force constant frequency and voltage. Why is overclocking all the sudden a pain on asrock boards now??

Quote Originally Posted by SLK View Post
    I have an Extreme 6 now too.

I noticed everytime you manually change OC settings, it sets your FIVR voltage to 1.90v and sets fan speed to 'full' everytime you enter the bios. Also, on my Extreme 4 and 6, I cannot adjust a negative offset without setting a fixed voltage. I also can't force the ratio unless I use the "force OC" option. I will get 3500mhz no matter what unless I force constant frequency and voltage. Why is overclocking all the sudden a pain on asrock boards now??
    I was going to say, welcome to the world of Haswell. But I had not tried to OC since I applied UEFI 1.90, and after reading your post...

... now that I've OC'd with 1.90, I agree that things are being set for us. I agree about your other points, this is not good!

Any core ratio/multiplier above the max turbo multi, 38 for example, sets the CPU input voltage to Fixed, 1.90. Yes, the CPU Fan speed is set to Full On. Yes, the core voltage will not drop even on Adaptive when the CPU frequency is at 800MHz. That is with ALL C-States enabled, including Package C-States, and with the Windows power option Processor power management, Minimum processor state set to 0%. My CPU core voltage would drop to ~0.750V with the core speeds at 800MHz. Right now I'm at 800MHz core clock, and the core voltages are 1.220V!!

With this or previous UEFI versions, I could run all four cores at 3.8GHz at 1.20V easily!! Make that less than 1.20V!!

I'm using Adaptive voltages for core and cache, Auto settings for adaptive voltages. Oh well, UEFI version 1.90 is broken for any OC settings!

Or would someone from ASRock please explain why we cannot have CPU power savings when we apply the slightest CPU OC?

ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 UEFI 1.90-uefi-190-error-jpg

Shiari is offline Member

Hmm yeah, my CPU doesn't drop down to 800MHz anymore when idle (only goes down to 3.5) ... I do see the core voltage drop still, though not as aggressively, and the reported idle TDP isn't as low as it used to be (down to 27W now, was single digits before). Interestingly however, my XTU benchmark score is now higher (went from 1044 to 1067 with the same OC settings, that's quite a step).

CPU Input Voltage at 1.9V is probably what you want anyway ... in all my testing so far I haven't touched nor felt the need to touch that value, it's always been at 1.9V for me. It will need to be high enough to feed all of the CPU, and it very much feels like this is a kind of "main valve" setting. Just because the main valve in your plumbing is wide open that doesn't mean the tap at your kitchen sink is also splurting out water - it has its own valve. Apologies if that is a poor analogy. :)

If you want adaptive settings on a overclock, you probably don't want to set it to auto (the values will likely be a fair bit higher than what your CPU needs) and you'll need to hunt for the values you need to be stable at that clock.

Shiari is offline Member

Oh and btw parsec, CPU-Z is at 1.65.0 now. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I was going to say, welcome to the world of Haswell. But I had not tried to OC since I applied UEFI 1.90, and after reading your post...

... now that I've OC'd with 1.90, I agree that things are being set for us. I agree about your other points, this is not good!

Any core ratio/multiplier above the max turbo multi, 38 for example, sets the CPU input voltage to Fixed, 1.90. Yes, the CPU Fan speed is set to Full On. Yes, the core voltage will not drop even on Adaptive when the CPU frequency is at 800MHz. That is with ALL C-States enabled, including Package C-States, and with the Windows power option Processor power management, Minimum processor state set to 0%. My CPU core voltage would drop to ~0.750V with the core speeds at 800MHz. Right now I'm at 800MHz core clock, and the core voltages are 1.220V!!

With this or previous UEFI versions, I could run all four cores at 3.8GHz at 1.20V easily!! Make that less than 1.20V!!

I'm using Adaptive voltages for core and cache, Auto settings for adaptive voltages. Oh well, UEFI version 1.90 is broken for any OC settings!

Or would someone from ASRock please explain why we cannot have CPU power savings when we apply the slightest CPU OC?

ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 UEFI 1.90-uefi-190-error-jpg

I guess its time to flip the bios switch until they fix the issues. I had auto and adaptive mode enabled and my Vcore was hitting 1.286v at 4ghz. Temps were spiking into the high 80s, 90s. No other setting will throttle core speed and voltage either and I hate how it reverts my CPU voltage input settings and puts my fans at 100%. If my CPU can handle 1.8v input voltage at 4.2ghz, why can't I save it..

I reverted to P1.40 and I still cannot get the idle voltage to drop. I am losing patience big time with asrock.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information