Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ahci or raid drivers

themaster1 is offline Junior Member

Default ahci or raid drivers

I have checked the speed for my ssd with as ssd and others tools i find the performances to be below what's advertised (especially when writing) so i'm wondering if it's not a problem of drivers.
    Currently i'm using the msahci sata 1.0 controller.
    I've read on wikipedia that the ahci v1.2 work better with 64 bits.

Problem is i don't know if raid drivers are only for a raid (2 paired drives "raid 0") or if they can be used in non raid.
    Am i clear ? not sure

I got the 970 pro3 with the southbridge SB950 (by the way, amd overdrive says it's SB8000 series chipset instead of SB950, ain't that strange ?)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ahci or raid drivers

RAID drivers are fine with single drives, you do not need to have any RAID arrays at all. RAID drivers also provide all the advantages of AHCI, at least the AMD and Intel RAID drivers do. A few old chipsets may not. Actually, the Intel RAID driver is also their AHCI driver, and can be used in either mode. Not sure about the AMD RAID driver, but using RAID mode is not a problem at all.

I've read that the AMD SB900 series chipsets are basically renamed SB800 series chipsets, with minor updates for the latest CPUs.

Also, the AMD SATA 6Gb/s chipsets and drivers do not quite perform at the same level as the Intel SATA 6Gb/s chipsets do. You may not reach the highest advertised speeds of your SSD on an AMD board.

Right i'm aware of the differences between amd/intel southbridges ; see here for the benchmark: http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/...TA,2-58-6.html
    The SB950 is actually the best amd's southbridge overall

So you say i can use the raid drivers without issue at all ?I'd like to be certain now that i have installed everything (no reformat or anything ..not an option)
    Last edited by themaster1; 07-04-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Right i'm aware of the differences between amd/intel southbridges ; see here for the benchmark: Temps d
    The SB950 is actually the best amd's southbridge overall

So you say i can use the raid drivers without issue at all ?I'd like to be certain now that i have installed everything (no reformat or anything ..not an option)
    Ok, that is a different story, but for different reasons.

If you've installed Windows in AHCI mode or IDE mode, you simply cannot change to RAID mode in the BIOS, if that is done the PC will no longer boot. That is a quirk of Windows and the way it knows when to install or change drivers.

You can fix this without reinstalling Windows, but it requires a change of a Windows Registry value or two. This change only tells Windows to use the appropriate driver, and the value that is changed is set back to its nominal value after the driver is loaded.

Google on "change to RAID from AHCI mode on AMD chipset", and you'll find all kinds of links to instructions about this process. But be careful, much of that information will be about Intel RAID drivers, anything that is about "iaStor" or "iaStorA" is the Intel RAID driver. You'll need to know the name of the AMD driver you are using, and modify (or add, worst case) that entry. Any changes to the previous SATA driver entries (msahci for example) are valid for AMD.

This link supposedly has a download program that will change the SATA mode for you, but I get the feeling it is only for Intel drivers. It also discussed the basic registry edit procedure: Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive

Sounds interesting and..complicated

This 970pro3 modo has a sata 3 (6gb/s) controller and the SSD is sata3 (6gb/s) aswell
    here is the problem in image:
    http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.ph...7transcend.jpg

Hdtune report SATA2 only, strange no?
    Last edited by themaster1; 07-10-2013 at 01:58 AM.

All the information on that HDTune image is of the SSD, which is being seen as SATA II.

Since you have never said who makes your SSD and what model it is, I can't comment on that.

EDIT: Ok, it's a Transcend TS64GSSD320 64GB SSD, that is SATA III.

We would need to see a benchmark test, preferably AS SSD, to see what is going on.
    Last edited by parsec; 07-10-2013 at 03:20 PM.

there you go, ,benchmark with as ssd:
    <ASSSDBenchmark
    <Name>TS64GSSD320 ATA Device</Name>
    <Firmware>5.0.4</Firmware>
    <Controller>msahci</Controller>
    <Size>59,62 GB</Size>
    <DateTime>15/06/2013 18:07:44</DateTime>
    <BenchmarkVersion>1.7.4739.38088</BenchmarkVersion>

<SeqTest>
    <Read>181,89 MB/s</Read>
    <Write>53,42 MB/s</Write>
    </SeqTest>
    <Random4K1TTest>
    <Read>16,65 MB/s</Read>
    <Write>55,41 MB/s</Write>
    </Random4K1TTest>
    <Random4K64TTest>
    <Read>51,11 MB/s</Read>
    <Write>55,27 MB/s</Write>
    </Random4K64TTest>
    <AccTimeTest>
    <Read>0,168 ms</Read>
    <Write>0,287 ms</Write>
    </AccTimeTest>
    <Score>
    <Read>86</Read>
    <Write>116</Write>
    <Total>247</Total>
    </Score>

Yes, those results are poor for a so-called SATA III SSD. The sequential read speed of 182MB/s is even below the maximum normally seen for SATA III SSDs when they are connected to SATA II ports. I have SATA II SSDs that score better than that on SATA II ports.

So it seems like:

The SSD is really a SATA II drive.
    Your SATA ports are operating in SATA II mode/speeds.

Programs like HDTune read information stored on every SSD and HDD that describes the drives capabilities. That is probably where the "SATA II" in its display is coming from. A few programs actually read the SATA interface speed itself, but they are unusual, I don't know if HDTune can do that. Either way it does not look good.

Actually, your version of HDTune is old... make that ancient, try the new version: HD Tune website

I have bought a new WD blue (1TB) drive which is also sata3 (6gb/s) and is detected as sata2 with hdtune, what's your take on this
    I have installed the latest hdtune version v2.55, it's the same thing really

Something's wrong with that controller methinks

edit:
    Well the mistery solved i guess, hdtune pro v5.50 report sata3-6gb/s) for both drives, besides it's the same thing in the bios "system browser" utility: sata gen3 (6gb/s)

benchmark (read speed) with hdtune pro:
    http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.ph...tune130713.png

benchmark (read speed) for the WD blue 1TB sata3(6gb/s)
    http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.ph...epro130713.png
    Last edited by themaster1; 07-14-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Thread Information