Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Change from IDE to AHCI

Default Re: Change from IDE to AHCI

Here's a photo of my BIOS, which is a bit different to yours.

In fact, the manual shows a "IDE Controller Enabled" option but that isn't present but then again nor is it in yours, from what I can tell from your photo. Nonetheless, the "SATA IDE Combined Mode" along with the fact that my HDD on SATAII_5 was connected to the IDE Controller, not the SATA Controller, in Device Manager, makes me fairly sure that the SATA Controller and IDE Controller aren't separate on my board (the Asmedia SATA3 controller obviously is a separate device).

It shouldn't be a big deal to use the SATA3 Controller, the SATA2 controller and the IDE Controller all at the same time, as if they're three separate devices that should be fine and even if the SATA2 and IDE controller are combined, as mine appear to be, the BIOS has this option so it seems they're intended to be used simultaneously and having it enabled doesn't seem to cause any problems for the SATAII HDD, although I haven't tested extensively enough with IDE devices connected as well to be sure.

I think I'll share this info about my board in your other thread in case anyone there has any insights ;)

Papang is offline Junior Member

Well, we talked a bit on my thread but focusing more on your case, I had some doubts so I got a pic of your mobo:

Change from IDE to AHCI-880gmhu3s3-jpg

--What do you have connected to the white Asmedia connectors?

--What do you have connected to your dark blue SB710 connectors?

--I suppose you haven't connected anything to you IDE connectors.

To further find out for sure how you have your drives configured now, it would help to have a another great pic of your bios but this time of the Advanced/Storage Configuration with how your drives are recognized. I see a button on the top left of your previous bios pic. Does it take you to that screen?

You haven't mentioned what OS you have but since I see you have AHCI enabled almost everywhere, you did install the OS with AHCI enabled from the bios I suppose? Device Manager I feel doesn't say clearly if your drive is in AHCI mode. The fool-proof way is if it says AHCI in front of your drive description in Storage Configuration.

Feel up to it yet? A pic is worth a thousand words like they say. Most get the idea better when you get everything like you want, seeing pics than a 5,000 word essay. I sure do.I miss posting multiple pics in a post which shows the flow of the instructable, but I'm checking with the mod how to do so.

Cheers
    Last edited by Papang; 07-09-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Nope, on my BIOS that is the Advanced/Storage Configuration screen.

I've got nothing connected to the white Asmedia SATA3 connectors, only one HDD connected to the first blue SATA2 connector and nothing connected to the IDE connector (for testing anyway).

I've learnt from setting up other PCs that if the BIOS is set to AHCI mode then this is what the HDD will operate in and if Windows can't find the AHCI driver, then it will fail to boot, so I'm quite sure that it is working in AHCI mode.

Here's a weird thing though. I disabled the "SATA IDE Combined Mode" and connected my IDE HDD and DVD drive to the IDE connector and then the BIOS doesn't show anything attached to IDE Master or Slave, whereas if I enable that mode it does show them. However, booting into Windows (I'm using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate) it then detected and installed two new device drivers and shows the IDE devices in Device Manager! Note it already showed them in Device Manager with the Combined Mode enabled and it still shows the same "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" as before. So I can only assume that the IDE connector can either run separately or, with that mode enabled, it is somehow joined to the SATA chipset. It doesn't make much sense to me and I can't see any benefits from doing that but there you go.

Bonus, disabling the Combined Mode has stopped the BSOD I was getting every time I tried to run Plex Media Server :)

I think I should make a new thread asking about what the Combined Mode is for!

EDIT: New thread here What's the purpose of SATA IDE Combined Mode?
    Last edited by doberman90; 07-09-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Ah man, that renders my experience sort of sideways. We have similar chipsets but the bios changed quite a bit, especially for the new "SATA IDE Combined Mode".

However, from experience, my SSD definitely runs faster on the white Asmedia connectors than the SB710 ones. It is Sata III 6gbps ready and I KNOW your HD103SJ will even benchmark somewhat better/faster. I found that by using AS SSD: Alex Intelligent Software - Downloads
    I get a maybe 10-15% better bench in Sata III than in Sata II. And no, it not only works for SSDs but will also read my HD103SJ. The benchmark takes a while or quite a bit more than with a SSD (10min vs 2min) which goes to show the difference in speed!

It also shows on the upper left side two important things:

-What driver is being used. If it says for example "pciide" you are NOT in AHCI mode and

-If your drive is "Aligned". Didn't know that it meant until using this app. It is crucial for SSDs altho it affects to a lesser degree HDDs.

So I have both my SSD and my HD103SJ connected to the white ones in order to get the best performance. I suppose you are after this because it is the title of your op.

From your Drive Manager pic, I see you have the Asmedia 106x driver loaded in Windows so it should not affect Win 7 from booting. Leave "SATA IDE Combined Mode" ENABLED or DISABLED so long as the IDE devices are seen in bios and does not bork your OS.

I hope you have better luck on the new thread but the case may be that this bios is unique to your 880g/SB710 chipset and like me, there are no users of this mobo (or mine) on this particular forum. I see this in my other thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...-heatsink.html
    which has zero responses. Drop by and see.

Oh btw, do you have a sensor of your NB? If not, does it feel inordinately hot? That is what that thread is about. All works and that is the only anomaly till now.

Cheers

Yeah, maybe I should e-mail Asrock and see if they can explain this Combined mode.

I probably will move the HDD to the SATAIII ports and benchmark it but it's definitely using the MSAHCI driver on the SATAII ports now.

Strangely, although Plex doesn't seem to cause BSOD anymore, when I just launched HwInfo64 my screen went blank and I had to hard reboot. Running it after rebooting and it works but it seems I still have some issues to iron out with this PC!

Anyway, there's only two sensors on this board, one for CPU which reads 37.5c and one for Motherboard which reads 45c, which may be the NB or not.

I wanted to show you my AS SSD bench on the HD193SJ but I was posting from my wife's laptop which didn't have the pic.

Change from IDE to AHCI-ssd-bench-samsung-hd103sj-6-6-2013-3-07-53-pm-asrock-mobo-png

My Samsung 840 which is not the greatest thing, has a benchmark of 549. Others report more, like 600-650 but for me it is good enough compared to using the HD103SJ for the OS. My boots are down to 20-25 sec. among other things which I'm sure you know.

The 2 points I mentioned both mark OK. It shows I am using the asahci64 Asmedia 64bit AHCI driver which you should have installed and it shows it is aligned too. I once did not have it "aligned" because I cloned my OS inorder to recuperate from some nasty problems that would not let it boot. It appeared to be OK, but was not aligned. I used one of the free utilities offered on the net to do this-MiniTool Partition Wizard and all is cool.

MSAHCI is the old Windows generic AHCI driver being replaced with STORAHCI for Win 8 on. It is not supposed to improve performance but is the driver to look for in the future. Once you change your HD103SJ to one of the Asmedia connectors, AS SSD will now report asahci64 and it should show in the benchmarks the improvement, maybe 33 to 37 but hey, its free! Once you get your SSD, if you still have this mobo, there are no 2 says about it, its has to go with the Asmedia controller.

Thnx for your temp response.

Cheers.

Hmm, now the onboard NIC has gone funny and says there's no network cable attached. I had the same problem before when I had my CF Card IDE adapter plugged in but never with the IDE HDD or ODD. I've disconnected all IDE devices anyway and it still doesn't work, so it looks like I might have to replace the motherboard yet again (this is the third one I've been through on this build, which was meant to be a present for my brother about 2 years ago!).

Shiari is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by doberman90 View Post
    it looks like I might have to replace the motherboard yet again (this is the third one I've been through on this build, which was meant to be a present for my brother about 2 years ago!).
    Glancing through your post history I don't see any mention of the power supply you're using ... if it's a bad/cheap one it's quite possible the PSU has been killing off hardware with power surges.

I'm using a Seasonic G-360 which is a very high quality one, so that shouldn't be an issue. I ran memtest earlier and it did two full passes without error, so the RAM seems fine too.

The motherboard before this one developed a broken onboard reset button and it turned out the other problems I had were due to a faulty OCZ PSU but it didn't damage any other hardware thankfully.

I can't even remember what board I had before that, it was so long ago ;)

Someone analysed my crash dump on the Plex forums for me, regarding the BSOD I was getting when running Plex and said

Code:
    This is memory corruption in kernel mode. Nothing to do with Plex.

DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL (c5)
    An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
    interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is
    caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool.  Run the driver
    verifier against any new (or suspect) drivers, and if that doesn't turn up
    the culprit, then use gflags to enable special pool.The crash appears to be a null dereference, which suggest a software bug rather than bad memory. But I'd suggest running memtest anyway.
    FAULTING_IP:
    nt!ExDeferredFreePool+249
    fffff800`033c2b05 4c395808        cmp     qword ptr [rax+8],r11

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  System

TRAP_FRAME:  fffff880031857d0 -- (.trap 0xfffff880031857d0)
    NOTE: The trap frame does not contain all registers.
    Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect.
    rax=0000000000000000 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=fffff8000341da50
    rdx=fffff88009841450 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=0000000000000000
    rip=fffff800033c2b05 rsp=fffff88003185960 rbp=0000000000000000
     r8=0000000000000000  r9=fffff88009841c90 r10=0000000000000001
    r11=fffff88009841ca0 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000
    r14=0000000000000000 r15=0000000000000000
    iopl=0         nv up ei ng nz ac po cy
    nt!ExDeferredFreePool+0x249:
    fffff800`033c2b05 4c395808        cmp     qword ptr [rax+8],r11 ds:00000000`00000008=????????????????

Unfortunately, these tend to be fairly hard to track back to a specific driver. You can use the driver verifier to pinpoint the issue further (at the risk of exposing new issues). My general suggestion is to revert to inbox or WU drivers, as those tend to be more tested/stable.
    so I'll have to see if someone on another forum I use has any ideas about that. It's going to be hard doing much without a working NIC though but I might have a spare PCI card lying around that I can try.

Shiari is offline Member

Also try a different network cable, if you haven't already. And perhaps a different port at the other end if possible?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information