Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)

Default Re: 960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    As parsec stated, the SATA controller is wholly independent of the (legacy)IDE controller. The two do not communicate with each other in any way.

So if I read your thoughts typed here you should be golden.
    Not relevant to Papang's board but I've been chatting about this with him in another thread and thought I'd share what I've found with my 880GMH/US3 board. ASRock > 880GMH/U3S3

As you can see from this photo, it has a "SATA IDE Combined Mode" option and I found with my SATAII HDD connected to the SATAII_5 port, it in fact showed up in Device Manager as connected to "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". Now I've moved it to SATAII_1, it shows as connected to "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller". So it seems, on some boards, that the SATA and IDE controller are combined. I'm not sure if my board uses the AMD SB710 chipset for the SATAII/IDE Controller or if it's another third-party chipset.

Papang is offline Junior Member

Default Re: 960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)

Yikes mate!

I thought you would post this on your original thread but thanks anyway. This is how it finally worked out which is revealing part of the process worklog before it is complete.

Attachment 5987 Click to see.

What this does is:

1) Only permits Sata III AHCI through the Asmedia connectors (white on mine, the rest are dark blue). You can connect your Samsung HD103SJ to one of these without fear. It will work at backwards compatible Sata II mode and might even be a little more efficient. The things connected to this controller appear as DOS text just before entering the bios, if you decide to enter. If not, it just pops up a few seconds (hard to take a pic of it) and the boot process continues. The downside is that this little screen takes up/extends 3-5 seconds your total boot time.

2) Converts all of the SB710 dark blue sata connectors on the mobo to IDE mode. Everything connected to these sata type connectors will work in this mode only, which implies bye-bye to AHCI.

3) Enables your IDE HDD to be seen in the table under "IDE1 Master" identified simply as "Hard Drive/Disk". Once being recognized here, you can boot to this HDD and either load an OS OR use for storage normally without booting to it. It will be seen by Windows and be listed as additional drives. I would recommend continuing to boot from the Samsung HD103SJ with your present OS. Uhhm, you never told me what OS you are using but anything from XP to 8 will or should do this.

(Continued)
    Last edited by Papang; 07-09-2013 at 05:31 AM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Papang View Post
    Ahh what a pain that posts here can only have one image loaded. I still have to show the worklog on how this was done so as to take the "magic" out of this process and save some others some head banging. Or is it preferable that I post this elsewhere where I can put some 10 pics taken in the same post? I would place a link here so that those wishing to learn can click to the worklog.

Mods? Senior Members?
    Multi-image posting "tutorial": http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post460017, post #3
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

In the bios, in Advanced>Storage Configuration, you should see this:

960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)-dsci0003-jpg

For me it is important to have AHCI (before the drive descriptions) because of the SSD but I also have it on my Samsung HD103SJ. On the other hand, my 2nd Drive says only "HDD" which is my Seagate IDE HDD and which operates under IDE Mode, not being AHCI capable.

So, why don't you connect your IDE drive (the hard part) and either enable or disable your SATA IDE Combined Mode. The thing is that your OS boot to satisfaction and all drives are visible in windows as I mentioned before. With that, you've got it made.

Once you connect your IDE HDD (and it is recognized) send a pic of the Advanced/Storage Configuration screen in your bios so we can see the results, ok?

Cheers
    Last edited by Papang; 07-09-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Multi-image posting "tutorial": http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post460017, post #3
    Thnx ProfJim, will do!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Papang, I tol' you dat man...

Glad it's working for you now, I thought you should be able to do what you wanted to do, with a little work.

One more thing, did you say your BIOS has profiles you can save? If so, set your settings for the XP boot, and save it in a profile. Do the same for your other OS drive. That way you can just select the profile you want to boot from, and then save and exit. Should save you some time, no?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Papang, I tol' you dat man...

Glad it's working for you now, I thought you should be able to do what you wanted to do, with a little work.

One more thing, did you say your BIOS has profiles you can save? If so, set your settings for the XP boot, and save it in a profile. Do the same for your other OS drive. That way you can just select the profile you want to boot from, and then save and exit. Should save you some time, no?

Haha, I know, I know! But I assure you, you pushed me over the edge to do it plus got a couple of pearls of knowledge to boot like the profiles in the bios. To tell the truth I haven't looked into it as yet probably because I have never done it before---just like the drive quandry. Rest assured that I will tho ;). 20 seconds is 20 seconds, but you do have to take into account that my bios is way more stripped than yours which is pretty fancy and high falutin'.

BTW, from what I learned here, atleast another guy with doubts is also going to take the leap, just with a slightly different chipset, so once again kudos, thanks a bunch and keep teaching and sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information