Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)

Papang is offline Junior Member

Default 960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??) SOLVED

Hi Y'All!

I chose an Asrock 960GM/U3S3 FX to replace a failing (altho not totally down) Asus M3A78-EM mobo. At only $55 usd, being sort of unemployed, it was the only way to keep my main computer/rig going, allowing me to pass all my other hardware to it, except for a Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 DDR3 ram module which I am presently paying off in small installments (used and did not work for previous owner). Info and reviews on this mid-level and economical mobo are almost non-existent, even on this manufacturer forum, even though it is one of the most advanced and up-to-date mATX mobos in existence for AMD processors--the reason I bought it over other "brand" name manufacturers like Asus, Gigabyte or EVGA. BTW, I stopped using full size ATXs around a decade ago because I like to mod smaller things which are more of a challenge.

Presently this system has:

Case: Scratch mod techbench (will fit a full size ATX mobo tho but rarely)
    Mobo: this one (use only microATX or miniITXs)
    Proc: Phenom II X6 1035t with a 95w TDP (low tdp is the main reason for getting it)
    CPU HS: Cooler Master Hyper N620, dual 120mm 4 pin PWM fans. Always believed in good cooling!
    Mem: 1 X 8gb Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 DDR3
    GPU: Asus EAH6850 1gb. Still a great vid card which cost me $150 usd a couple of year ago, regular price.
    SSD: Samsung 840 120gb, Sata III. Not the Pro but very good reads.
    HDD: Samsung HD103SJ 1tb, 7200 rpm, 32mb, Sata II. For storage.
    2nd HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST38002-1A, 7200 rpm, 80gb, 2 mb, IDE (if I can, not yet installed)
    DVD: Sony generic Sata. Hardly use.
    PSU: FSP 600w, 80 bronze. One of the better "no names", a well kept secret, hehe.
    OS: Windows 8 Pro 64bits/Windows XP x86 Pro, all in AHCI mode including the DVD burner. Getting XP to AHCI was a pain but is doable.

Scanner: HP Scanjet 3400C. (the culprit that needs to be installed/used).

Peek of the above in my techbench.

960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)-dsci0003-jpg

Except for a sparse 3 + 1 VRM phases (my previous had 4 + 1) and a VERY HOT northbridge heatsink which I had to mod to cool down a bit (bigger NB heatsink and a 40mm led fan plus 120mm fan underneath cooling bottom of mobo), the intention is that it last me my regular 2-3 years before upgrading. The heaviest use is gaming on "high" and the occasional light to moderate video editing chores, but I will not be overclocking in the foreseeable future as I don't think it will stand a lot of abuse on the long haul. I have had this setup for 1 1/2 months and everything works as advertised (sata III and usb 3.0, albeit a little slow but ok to me). My temps are: Mobo 38c, CPU 36c, SSD-HDD 36c and GPU 42c at idle at 24-26c room temperature. No sensors for NB or SB, etc. so the rest is only measured by touch.

The only gripe is that the mobo fan headers don't control fans via PWM (4 pins) including the CPU fans, and 3 pin fans connected to these run at full blast, no matter what you do in the BIOS. PWM fans are usually without leds so too bad cuz I like them (obviously), ohh and the bios has the latest update, v1.30. I will be sending a complaint directly to Asrock on this nit-pick, if you will, fans only run at a fixed speed/level or full blast

With a little background down pat, time for the experts :).

The question is: If I have the SSD and Samsung hdd working in AHCI mode, can I have a 3rd hdd (the Seagate) connected to the IDE header, NOT working in AHCI? In other words, working in IDE mode. Will the bios handle AHCI on the sata connectors including the Asmedia Sata III connectors, while the IDE works normally (not in AHCI)?

Why this weird situation? It is the dumb scanner which works fine in windows XP (No more drivers beyond that) with IDE but will not with AHCI. To further clear things, I have Win8 on the SSD and XP on the Samsung hdd, switching between the 2 using f11 (one hard drive or the other). If I can launch the Seagate IDE hdd, I would re-install XP (in IDE mode) to it and erase/format the partition that presently has the AHCI XP version and use it for additional storage. The thing is to get the flaky HP drivers working again and be able to scan.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any sane advice and please don't laugh, hehe-it is a very special situation in order to not chunk the scanner, which still works fine (the drivers are the ones that suck green lemons) or worst, have to buy a new one which I would only use once or twice a semester. I'd rather use the money for something more useful like food (kidding).

Thnx again,
    Last edited by Papang; 07-09-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Default Re: 960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)

To add another clarification, there are 4 Sata II (driven from AMD SB710 chipset), 2 Sata III (from an Asmedia 106x sata controller) and 1 IDE (from the AMD SB710 chipset??) connectors. Just for kicks, it also has a LPT1 header, remember those?

As a side note in the rear, an Etron USB 3.0 controller has 2 usb connectors while the other 4 connectors from the SB710 are still USB 2.0.

Does this help any or has anyone with one of these mobos had any experience with this situation?

Thnx in advance for any input.
    Last edited by Papang; 07-06-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Default Re: 960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)

IDE does not, to my knowledge, run in AHCI. You should be fine running the SATA ports in AHCI, and the IDE ports in normal IDE.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The ASMedia SATA chipset is configured separately from the the AMD 710, so the ASMedia can be set to AHCI and not interfere with the AMD 710. It uses it's own driver, and will have its own entry in Device Manager, as will the AMD 710. The ASMedia chipset will not cause any problems with the AMD 710.

While I'm not an AMD expert, don't you have separate settings for the AMD SATA and IDE ports? They must be, since you have RAID and AHCI settings for the four AMD SATA ports. Since that board has a true, 40 pin IDE ribbon cable port, they must be separate and may have different drivers, or at least separate entries in Device Manager.

But here is where is gets tricky, as you know. Windows 8 may or may not have an IDE driver, so who knows how the IDE drive will be with Windows 8. Worst case, you may need to disable it in the BIOS when using Win 8, or just let it be a non-working device, hopefully not a problem for you.

Were you planning on just having the IDE drive usable when you boot XP? That is, not using your 840 at all? The ASMedia Win 8 and XP drivers are different versions, I wonder how the 840 would respond to having different drivers working with it. That is a mystery to me, it may not matter since you are not booting the 840 in XP, but who knows? You might need to disable the 840 when booting XP.

If your BIOS allows you to save profiles of settings, you could have one for Windows 8 and one for XP, enabling and disabling whatever as required. I'd love to know how it works out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    IDE does not, to my knowledge, run in AHCI. You should be fine running the SATA ports in AHCI, and the IDE ports in normal IDE.
    Thanks for you comment wardog but again I think another clarification has to be made. I guess that you can never give enough info to get the needed advice. I know there are a jillion mobos out there, each with their very particular and special setups and bioses and I know there is a big difference between fancy (errr, "enthusiast"?) mobos like yours (I like your wife's rig ;) ) and very pedestrian boards like mine.

Here's a pic of my bios which might help your assessment of my situation:

960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)-dsci0037-jpg

In my bios in Advanced>Storage Configuration, I have, with their options:

Onboard Sata Controller-Enabled or Disabled
    Sata Operation Mode-IDE or RAID or AHCI
    Onboard Sata 3 Operation Mode-IDE Mode or AHCI Mode or Disabled

The underlined items are what I have now enabled. I figure that the 1st line, if left "Disabled", would prevent AHCI from being used in general and the 4 Sata II connectors would go to Sata-IDE emulation mode by default. It might prevent the Asmedia controller from giving Sata III but as it appears independent from the SB710, maybe not.

The second line, I think, refers exclusively to the 4 sata II connectors that the SB710 controls. If I enabled IDE here, all 4 connectors would go to that and only legacy hardware could be connected using a IDE to Sata converter inorder to use a sata cable. The first line if left Enabled should not affect this or if left Disabled, the mode would default to IDE.

The third line, I guess, belongs to the tacked on Asmedia sata controller with gives me the 2 sata 3 6gbps connectors where I have my SSD connected. Disabling the first line might boink it.

In the table of Sata II components connected, the last one is my Sata II, 7200 rpm, 1tb HDD and the DVD burner is above this, in AHCI mode.

As I don't want my 1tb HDD working in IDE mode (slower), I would prefer it remain in AHCI mode.

The thing is if I connect my legacy IDE HDD into the IDE connector on the mobo, will it work and if it does, not mess up my SSD, 1tb HDD and DVD burner functionality?

Hope it clears things a bit.

Cheers
    Last edited by Papang; 07-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.

As parsec stated, the SATA controller is wholly independent of the (legacy)IDE controller. The two do not communicate with each other in any way.

So if I read your thoughts typed here you should be golden.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The ASMedia SATA chipset is configured separately from the the AMD 710, so the ASMedia can be set to AHCI and not interfere with the AMD 710. It uses it's own driver, and will have its own entry in Device Manager, as will the AMD 710. The ASMedia chipset will not cause any problems with the AMD 710.
    OMG, the first "sane" post, kudos! Exactly what I was hoping for!

While I'm not an AMD expert, don't you have separate settings for the AMD SATA and IDE ports? They must be, since you have RAID and AHCI settings for the four AMD SATA ports. Since that board has a true, 40 pin IDE ribbon cable port, they must be separate and may have different drivers, or at least separate entries in Device Manager.
    Maybe a pic of my Win XP Device Manager (still trying to get the scanner to work)?

960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)-xpdevmgr-jpg

And as seen from Win 8 which I will post later once I exit XP.

But here is where is gets tricky, as you know. Windows 8 may or may not have an IDE driver, so who knows how the IDE drive will be with Windows 8. Worst case, you may need to disable it in the BIOS when using Win 8, or just let it be a non-working device, hopefully not a problem for you.
    Win 8, believe or not, still has IDE drivers from a previous test I did connecting an IDE DVD burner to read info from a CD. I did have to enable IDE mode "Sata Operation Mode" in the bios. (see previous post pls.)

Were you planning on just having the IDE drive usable when you boot XP? That is, not using your 840 at all? The ASMedia Win 8 and XP drivers are different versions, I wonder how the 840 would respond to having different drivers working with it. That is a mystery to me, it may not matter since you are not booting the 840 in XP, but who knows? You might need to disable the 840 when booting XP.
    That was the original idea however nutty it may sound. The sole reason for having XP is the scanner. Remember I mentioned that I accessed Win 8 or XP via f11? Well, on one of the reboots, I lost the boot files in XP (ntldr and NTDETECT.COM) and XP went to lala land. Fortunately from experience (XP, get it?) I have both files saved and by copying and pasting from Win 8, got XP back on its feet (luckily). So what I am doing now is enabling and disabling the SSD or HDD depending on the OS I need to use via the bios. Needless to say, Win 8 is my bread 'n butter as I hadn't used XP since Win Vista SP2. BTW, I could use the scanner via compatibility mode to XP SP3 up to Win 7, but in Win 8 I just can't, to my misfortune.

So mi amigo, you anticipated what was going to happen. Just like wardog but his post was so brief I didn't get it, hehe. I guess I am "golden" like he says

If your BIOS allows you to save profiles of settings, you could have one for Windows 8 and one for XP, enabling and disabling whatever as required. I'd love to know how it works out in the end.
    Yes it has, but I thought they were just for oc'ing which I am afraid to do. Like I said, this board is NOT for that (VERY HOT NB heatsink from the get-go) even though it has the settings to do so. I will try to see if I can use these profiles for this--thnx for the recommendation-pure genius on your part. I hadn't thought of it.

Hmmm, I guess I should apologize for some wonky phrases/words as English is not exactly my native tongue. I did study college in Texas which some say is notorious (that bad?), but lack of practice makes me switch from colloquial to professional terms unwittingly.

And yes, as a modder, I am obligated to do as you suggest (got to be stubborn to be a modder) altho my forte is not hardware/software as this case. I'd rather jam HW into things that don't look like computer cases and get everything to work. One way or the other, the scanner is going to work, I bet my bottom buck! I will update this thread with my progress or contrary, and seek the wisdom of the members here.

Saludos
    Last edited by Papang; 07-07-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Device Manager as seen in Win 8:

960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)-win8devmgr-2-jpg

Hasta la vista.

As per Parsec's request and instructions/heads up advice, I am really proud to present the results after batting my head against the wall all day yesterday (luckily Sunday):

This nifty little board has:

--A Samsung 840 SSD working in SATA III 6gbps through one of the Asmedia Sata Controller connectors on the mobo. Has Win 8 64bits.

--A Samsung HD103SJ Sata II 3gbps mechanical hard drive connected to the other Asmedia controlled connector in said mobo. Only Storage soon.

--A Seagate IDE 80gb mechanical hard drive on the IDE connector on the mobo. Newly installed Win XP x86 on it.

--A Sata Sony G170S DVD burner connected to one of the four SB710 mobo connectors. Now sadly working in IDE mode, blehh.

The bad thing is that I have to fool around about 20 sec. in the bios on two screens: 1) Advanced>Storage Configuration to place the drive I want to boot off in the first place in "Hard Drives", and 2) Choosing which drive to boot off of in the "Boot" tab, maintaining the second boot device as "Disabled".

Booting from the mechanical IDE Seagate HDD, I open XP and can run seamlessly the HP PresicionScan LTX scanning app as shown below:

960GM/U3S3 FX with IDE, SATA II, SATA III Drives Connected (at the same time??)-imagen-1-jpg

Which was the finality/purpose of this thread and it only took me 3 days! Yes amigos, a lot of troubleshooting sometimes takes this long so you "instant gratification" types might want to skip this thread and take it to someone who can. Even some tech savy acquiantances said I was loco en la cabeza for trying this, but as I said, I am a modder so frustration is part of the learning process.

Thnx to parsec and even wardog for their comments and thank goodness this "manufacturers" forum has these type of guys or it would really be the pits. It should be labeled "Asrock User's Forum" so that there not be so many negative comments/complaints of Sean (is he alive or even with Asrock anymore?), Emily (obviously busy) and a couple others (I think) who are supposed to be Asrock reps. People asking for them (or any Asrock representative) and not getting a response will most assuredly not be future customers of the brand, it is just logical.

Saludos
    Last edited by Papang; 07-09-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Ahh what a pain that posts here can only have one image loaded. I still have to show the worklog on how this was done so as to take the "magic" out of this process and save some others some head banging. Or is it preferable that I post this elsewhere where I can put some 10 pics taken in the same post? I would place a link here so that those wishing to learn can click to the worklog.

Mods? Senior Members?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information