Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, i5-2500k. Advice/help much appreciated

Default Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, i5-2500k. Advice/help much appreciated

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to overclock my i5-2500k 3.3 ghz (ASrock Extreme 4 gen3). Even though I'm new to overclocking, I have looked at other threads/videos online. I put the multiplier at 42, but once I start a stress test my temps go from mid-30's to 70-90 Celsius. I have attached screenshots of my tests/bios settings. Can anybody help me skew the settings so that I can overclock this baby? I was hoping I could get 44/45 out of it, but never tried due to the high temps at 42. I wasn't sure exactly what to do with the offset voltage even after reading some different posts.

Please see my signature for my pc specs. Thank you all for your help/insights, it is greatly appreciated!

Latest BIOS: P2.30 (date: 2012/06/09)

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, i5-2500k. Advice/help much appreciated

Well, your CPU temperatures are way to high for an i5-2500K, I see 127C for CPU temp in the CPUID screenshot, that is wild!

STOP testing for now, that CPU is being tortured right now, some things need to be fixed.

First on a side note, I see your memory is installed in slots A1 and A2. That is single channel, not dual channel, which will not perform as well. The two memory channels are A and B, move the memory card from slot A1 to B2, and leave the other one in A2.

The CM Hyper 212+ is a good cooler, but given your temperatures, I suspect it is not mounted correctly. This is what your main problem is, IMO.

You may have simply used to much thermal paste (TIM) between the CPU and the '212. More is not better with TIM, an amount the size of a small pea is correct. Mounting a CPU cooler must be done carefully and just right. Have you ever mounted one before?

I don't see any information about your PC case, what are you using? I also don't see any fans connected to the mother board besides the CPU fan and something on the Power fan connector. What kind of case ventilation and fan control do you have?

Please answer the questions about your case, etc, so we can continue.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Well, your CPU temperatures are way to high for an i5-2500K, I see 127C for CPU temp in the CPUID screenshot, that is wild!

STOP testing for now, that CPU is being tortured right now, some things need to be fixed.

First on a side note, I see your memory is installed in slots A1 and A2. That is single channel, not dual channel, which will not perform as well. The two memory channels are A and B, move the memory card from slot A1 to B2, and leave the other one in A2.

The CM Hyper 212+ is a good cooler, but given your temperatures, I suspect it is not mounted correctly. This is what your main problem is, IMO.

You may have simply used to much thermal paste (TIM) between the CPU and the '212. More is not better with TIM, an amount the size of a small pea is correct. Mounting a CPU cooler must be done carefully and just right. Have you ever mounted one before?

I don't see any information about your PC case, what are you using? I also don't see any fans connected to the mother board besides the CPU fan and something on the Power fan connector. What kind of case ventilation and fan control do you have?

Please answer the questions about your case, etc, so we can continue.
    Thank you for your quick response. Sorry for being a "beginner". I had my friend in college install this rig, but I guess it wasn't installed correctly.

Correct, I have the Hyper 212+ and i'm not sure if its installed correctly. I've never had any problems gaming or anything so I never suspected anything. I have no clue how to mount/paste... would it be smart to bring it to a shop? (I just moved to a different state). I'm not sure about case fan or fan control? I didn't order anything besides the Hyper 212+

I am using Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case. I have attached a picture so you can take a look at the inside.. perhaps you can see any faults?

Last picture is with default bios settings using Intel Burn Test

Again, thank you and look forward to more reactions!
    Last edited by Jona90; 07-08-2013 at 05:04 AM.
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jona90 View Post
    Thank you for your quick response. Sorry for being a "beginner". I had my friend in college install this rig, but I guess it wasn't installed correctly.

Correct, I have the Hyper 212+ and i'm not sure if its installed correctly. I've never had any problems gaming or anything so I never suspected anything. I have no clue how to mount/paste... would it be smart to bring it to a shop? (I just moved to a different state). I'm not sure about case fan or fan control? I didn't order anything besides the Hyper 212+

I am using Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case. I have attached a picture so you can take a look at the inside.. perhaps you can see any faults?

Last picture is with default bios settings using Intel Burn Test

Again, thank you and look forward to more reactions!
    See any faults? At first I thought that would be difficult, but I can see one right away. Get that PC off the carpeted floor! Do you have a small piece of wood you can use as a base for the PC?

Why off the carpet? See your power supply (PS) in the case, a bottom PS mount style case, which I prefer. But notice the "top" of the PS, it has no vents for air. Where are they? On the bottom of the PS as it is mounted in the case! That is the correct mounting position, and the PS fan pulls air in through vents in the bottom of the case, and then out the back of the PS. That works fine, as long as the case is on a flat, hard surface. A carpeted floor is not that at all, and is blocking air flow through the PS. That causes the PS to heat up, and its fan speeds up to compensate, but very little air is moving through the PS. So it's running hotter than it could be, and adding some heat to the inside of the case.

One advantage of the bottom PS mount style of case, is the PS fan is used only to cool the PS. Old style PCs used the PS fan as an extra (or main) exhaust for the PC case, but all that does is drag hot air inside the PC case into the PS, which is not good for cooling a PS. No PC OC enthusiast would ever have a setup like that now, or even a smart PC user. You could flip your PS so the vent faces up to use its fan to exhaust air from the case, but that is not a good idea.

Also, see the vents on the bottom panel of the PC case? Those are for air flow into the case, and are blocked by the carpeting.

I see you have a GTX 560TI video card, that can generate about twice the amount of heat a stock I5-2500K CPU does. It only does that while heavy gaming of course, but it always adds some heat to the inside of the PC case. Most of its heat is not vented out of the case through the small vents on the card itself.

The only exhaust fan you have now is the one 120mm fan on the rear panel. So the video card is adding heat to the inside of the case, and the two fans on the front panel are trying to push air through the drive bays, which is not easy. The stock case fans are meant to be quiet, so don't move large amounts of air. The bottom vents for air are blocked, and the PS vents are blocked. All the components in the case are creating some heat, which raises the temperature of the air inside the case. That is the same air used to cool your CPU. You can't cool something very well with warm air, can you?

If you want to OC your CPU, you must add extra airflow/cooling to your PC case. Any OC creates more heat than the stock speed of the CPU, and the higher the OC, the more heat is generated. You need at least two 120mm or 140mm fans mounted at the top of the case to exhaust air out of the case.

Actually, you don't seem to have much experience building PCs. You really need to have that if you want to OC your CPU. It's not just something you can do without preparation and the right setup and equipment. You have some very basic cooling problems that you are not aware of.

I see you are posting your questions in the OCN forum. You can get all the advice you need to OC your CPU from that and many other places, but until you fix your cooling issues, I don't think it is a good idea to OC your CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    See any faults? At first I thought that would be difficult, but I can see one right away. Get that PC off the carpeted floor! Do you have a small piece of wood you can use as a base for the PC?

Why off the carpet? See your power supply (PS) in the case, a bottom PS mount style case, which I prefer. But notice the "top" of the PS, it has no vents for air. Where are they? On the bottom of the PS as it is mounted in the case! That is the correct mounting position, and the PS fan pulls air in through vents in the bottom of the case, and then out the back of the PS. That works fine, as long as the case is on a flat, hard surface. A carpeted floor is not that at all, and is blocking air flow through the PS. That causes the PS to heat up, and its fan speeds up to compensate, but very little air is moving through the PS. So it's running hotter than it could be, and adding some heat to the inside of the case.

One advantage of the bottom PS mount style of case, is the PS fan is used only to cool the PS. Old style PCs used the PS fan as an extra (or main) exhaust for the PC case, but all that does is drag hot air inside the PC case into the PS, which is not good for cooling a PS. No PC OC enthusiast would ever have a setup like that now, or even a smart PC user. You could flip your PS so the vent faces up to use its fan to exhaust air from the case, but that is not a good idea.

Also, see the vents on the bottom panel of the PC case? Those are for air flow into the case, and are blocked by the carpeting.

I see you have a GTX 560TI video card, that can generate about twice the amount of heat a stock I5-2500K CPU does. It only does that while heavy gaming of course, but it always adds some heat to the inside of the PC case. Most of its heat is not vented out of the case through the small vents on the card itself.

The only exhaust fan you have now is the one 120mm fan on the rear panel. So the video card is adding heat to the inside of the case, and the two fans on the front panel are trying to push air through the drive bays, which is not easy. The stock case fans are meant to be quiet, so don't move large amounts of air. The bottom vents for air are blocked, and the PS vents are blocked. All the components in the case are creating some heat, which raises the temperature of the air inside the case. That is the same air used to cool your CPU. You can't cool something very well with warm air, can you?

If you want to OC your CPU, you must add extra airflow/cooling to your PC case. Any OC creates more heat than the stock speed of the CPU, and the higher the OC, the more heat is generated. You need at least two 120mm or 140mm fans mounted at the top of the case to exhaust air out of the case.

Actually, you don't seem to have much experience building PCs. You really need to have that if you want to OC your CPU. It's not just something you can do without preparation and the right setup and equipment. You have some very basic cooling problems that you are not aware of.

I see you are posting your questions in the OCN forum. You can get all the advice you need to OC your CPU from that and many other places, but until you fix your cooling issues, I don't think it is a good idea to OC your CPU.

Thank you for the much needed tips!

Could you recommend me any 120mm or 140mm fans?

I will have to buy these items and bring it to a shop. Is there anything else I need to get repaired/fixed inside my case?

Thread Information