Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?

Default Re: Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Wow on those NB temps, Papang will be wondering what is going on with his. He uses a separate video card, and was wondering if that was somehow not allowing the video portion of the NB chip to not throttle down. Your 40mm fan must be better than his, or something else is going on.

Regarding an OC on your board, first understand I am not at all an AMD expert. Your board's specs say it supports 8 core AM3+ CPUs. The only entry I see in the CPU support list for a 6300 CPU is: FD6300WMW6KHK, a 95W TDP CPU that seems to match your CPU's specs.

The main potential issue I see is the limited number of VRM chips on the board, and they do not have heat sinks.
    Yes, Parsec must be having something going wrong, or else he's working with an older version of the board or something. I think mine has been upgraded or something because I got heat sinks every were on all my chips, ones I wouldn't even care about.. I'll show you in the next pic. In the pic, is my temps running from that OC Program..
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?-imag0089-jpg 

Wow on those NB temps, Papang will be wondering what is going on with his. He uses a separate video card, and was wondering if that was somehow not allowing the video portion of the NB chip to not throttle down. Your 40mm fan must be better than his, or something else is going on.

Regarding an OC on your board, first understand I am not at all an AMD expert. Your board's specs say it supports 8 core AM3+ CPUs. The only entry I see in the CPU support list for a 6300 CPU is: FD6300WMW6KHK, a 95W TDP CPU that seems to match your CPU's specs.

The main potential issue I see is the limited number of VRM chips on the board, and they do not have heat sinks.
    Hi Parsec,
    This is a pic of mine with the extra HS, and yes FD6300WMW6KHK is the exact cpu I got in it.. Not to worry, I wont try and hold anyone responsible if I overclock my own computer.. Looks as though there are HS over the VRM chips too. maybe I should get a little more fan crazy in that area as well. Do ya think I could safely overclock then?? I appreciate your input.
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?-imag0097-jpg 

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SolderIron4 View Post
    Hi Parsec,
    This is a pic of mine with the extra HS, and yes FD6300WMW6KHK is the exact cpu I got in it.. Not to worry, I wont try and hold anyone responsible if I overclock my own computer.. Looks as though there are HS over the VRM chips too. maybe I should get a little more fan crazy in that area as well. Do ya think I could safely overclock then?? I appreciate your input.
    I'm going by the picture of your board on ASRock's website, which does not have any heat sinks on the VRM chips. Those heat sinks are small, they help but are not a big help. I would check the temp of those heat sinks with your IR thermometer, at various conditions, with the CPU idle, and at load at stock CPU clocks. The results of the temps will indicate how much you may be able to OC your CPU.

Of course, what does "OC my CPU" mean, by 500MHz, 1GHz, or what? Sure you can OC it some, but likely not at very high clock speeds. It is also very dependent on your CPU model. For example, is it power hungry, like the FX 8350's are, using over 200W of power when OC'd fairly high. You'll need to research that about your CPU.

Other realities of that board, the CPU power to the board uses a four pin connector, while eight pin connectors are common now, and some boards have two CPU power connectors. With your board's four pin connector, power to the CPU will be limited by that. You may run out of power to the CPU before the CPU's OC limit is reached. Add to that the limited cooling ability the VRM's have, and it's clear that is not designed to be a high OC platform.

So the question is really how much can you OC your CPU. Are the CPU temps you posted at idle, or with a stress test running (most likely idle IMO)? You'll need to see what all your temps are with the CPU at high/100% load at stock settings, which will indicate how feasible an OC is. Your CPU cooler and case ventilation are also main factors for that.

Papang is offline Junior Member

Soooo sorry for being absent, but my father-in-law got sick and had to dedicate a lot of time to him along with my wife. Still not out of the woods but is a little better with med changes.

To mi amigo parsec, thnx for carrying the flag in the meanwhile and all those quality comments of course, merit quality answers. Just give a little more time and I'll most assuredly get around to it. Btw, sorry to report that AMD Over Drive does not see my 760G (nor the 740G) and will not give the needed mobo info. It will only work with the 770 chipset and up, blehh.

To Solderiron4, I followed up on parsec (see, I hear you) and added like you, another 60 X 10mm no-led fan above the NB HS along with the 40mm fan with the bling (sorry parsec, I am a modder and will probably die one too, hehe), but I feel the NB HS cooler most definitely. It is jammed between the vid card and the tower cpu HS at a 30% angle from horizontal. It spins at 3,800 rpms (only 3 pin pluged into the 4 pin header on the mobo-no spin control so at 100%) which means the noise factor is going up. Its ok for games but at idle while posting is pretty lame so I am using my wife's notebook to post.

You can get a few degrees lowering the voltage (undervolting) your NB with OC Tuner. Poke the "Voltage Control" button and you will see the NB voltage option. Most will use it upward but in this case, I pushed it down. I apparently have a stable system now at 1.0 v. (previously .9875v. but had artifacts) as compared to the default 1.150 v., a 13% drop. Butttttt...you use the IGP which complicates things a bunch.

I know it sounds weird but I am looking into OCing while Under volting. Yup, guys have done that. Google for: "AMD processor overclocking while undervolting". Apparently there is a lot of leeway of the voltage a core can handle downward WITHOUT Underclocking. The same applies to the NB. The thing is not to upset or change the multipliers or frequencies, just the VID (core voltages) until the system becomes unstable running Prime95 or similar. I am down from 1.450 v VID to 1.2250 v (down 18%) and think will go down further. Of course I lost a degree at idle and around 3-4c at load! I use degrees centigrade rather than fahrenheit so take that into account when I mention temps ;). Are you sure those measurements are fahrenheit and not centigrade? Centrigade is more likely for the NB HS I have. Thanks a bunch for those readings anyways.

There are utilities that can aid in doing this like "PhenomMSRTweaker" (32 or 64 bits). The succesor to this is "AmdMsrTweaker 1.1" for later AMD procs. Or "K10Stat" which is similar and used alot too. They both install/work in Win 8 64bits and are free and easy to get. It is a lot to chew but the right thing to do with this mobo.

Why the contradiction? Because your mobo altho way more advanced than mine (Mosfets HSed), still has the hot/hottish NB. If you simply OC and try to push up voltage in the cpu and nb to get stabler settings, you will probably take out one of the 3 + 1 phases, with heatsinks and all. The rule of thumb for safe(er) OCs is 4 + 1 phases (or more, the better) like my previos Asus mobo which also had a much nobler 780G NB chipset. Parsecs mobo is way better than this mobo and he could OC like crazy if he wanted to, but it just shows how much research went into what he got, besides costing over twice as much as ours. It is however, NOT a "value/budget" mobo and it shows by the size of the heatsinks it has all over the place. The chipset is very OC friendly too, something like a 990X (not quite an FX) on our side. Also have you noticed how thin our mobos are? I would say it is no more than 3-4 layers versus the 6 layers I had on my previous Asus mATX which means it will not take much heat and abuse.

So....give OCing a shot (but definitely UV (undervolt)) because your proc has a lot of potential compared to mine. And yes, your proc has a TDP of 95w. like mine but at 3.5ghz default. With turbo core at 4.1ghz it will most likely be close to 115w. Moreso with an aggressive OC like maybe 5ghz? This board is rated for 100w which I think is the absolute limit, never mind the throttling of your cpu if it gets too much over that or atleast a BSOD. I recommend NOT to disable throttling in the bios.

Remember, as you undervolt more and more, your cpu and nb temps go down the same way. Being new to this area, I think if we focus on this we can use our present procs for a long time on this little jewel of a board. Let me know that you all think altho I might not get back right away--sorry.

Cheers and Saludos
    Last edited by Papang; 07-20-2013 at 06:12 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Papang View Post

Why the contradiction? Because your mobo altho way more advanced than mine (Mosfets HSed), still has the hot/hottish NB. If you simply OC and try to push up voltage in the cpu and nb to get stabler settings, you will probably take out one of the 3 + 1 phases, with heatsinks and all. The rule of thumb for safe(er) OCs is 4 + 1 phases (or more, the better) like my previos Asus mobo which also had a much nobler 780G NB chipset. Parsecs mobo is way better than this mobo and he could OC like crazy if he wanted to, but it just shows how much research went into what he got, besides costing over twice as much as ours. It is however, NOT a "value/budget" mobo and it shows by the size of the heatsinks it has all over the place. The chipset is very OC friendly too, something like a 990X (not quite an FX) on our side. Also have you noticed how thin our mobos are? I would say it is no more than 3-4 layers versus the 6 layers I had on my previous Asus mATX which means it will not take much heat and abuse.

Cheers and Saludos
    Papang, I was wondering where you went, but I get it, hoping all is well in the family.

You lost me on the "your mobo altho way more advanced than mine (Mosfets HSed), still has the hot/hottish NB" statement, I thought SolderIron had the same board as yours, that's what he said initially. I was not sure, but I think SolderIron put those heat sinks on himself, correct?

The big difference in the NB temps that SolderIron has may be caused by several things:

First he is reading the temp with an IR thermometer, while you are getting a reading from a program reading a sensor on or near the NB chip itself. A heat sink temperature is usually much lower than the chip itself, and the heat sink may be hotter and cooler in different spots.

Second, he has two fans cooling the NB heat sink, which seem to be doing a great job.

Finally, and how could I miss this, your video card is located... right below the NB heat sink. That must be aggravating its temperature, heating the micro-environment around the NB and the local air used to cool the heat sink, or at least compromising the air circulation through the case in the area of the NB.

I'm going by the picture of your board on ASRock's website, which does not have any heat sinks on the VRM chips. Those heat sinks are small, they help but are not a big help. I would check the temp of those heat sinks with your IR thermometer, at various conditions, with the CPU idle, and at load at stock CPU clocks. The results of the temps will indicate how much you may be able to OC your CPU.

Of course, what does "OC my CPU" mean, by 500MHz, 1GHz, or what? Sure you can OC it some, but likely not at very high clock speeds. It is also very dependent on your CPU model. For example, is it power hungry, like the FX 8350's are, using over 200W of power when OC'd fairly high. You'll need to research that about your CPU.

Other realities of that board, the CPU power to the board uses a four pin connector, while eight pin connectors are common now, and some boards have two CPU power connectors. With your board's four pin connector, power to the CPU will be limited by that. You may run out of power to the CPU before the CPU's OC limit is reached. Add to that the limited cooling ability the VRM's have, and it's clear that is not designed to be a high OC platform.

So the question is really how much can you OC your CPU. Are the CPU temps you posted at idle, or with a stress test running (most likely idle IMO)? You'll need to see what all your temps are with the CPU at high/100% load at stock settings, which will indicate how feasible an OC is. Your CPU cooler and case ventilation are also main factors for that.

Parsec thanks for reply and the great info/sugestions,
    everything you have said does make perfect sense. and I'm going to do just that and yes everything was tested while at idle and I did a ruff check of the VRM's and they were somewhere between 96 and 101 degrees if I remember correctly.. Perhaps maybe I should try and use nitrogen gas or something like that to further cool it. lol Any how I am installing the board into my case right now, The company I got it from, forgot 3 of the most important fans that I was really wanting with that case. But anyways I'll do some bench mark test and report back in a few days or so, unless I can be of help to Papang or someone..

Sincerely
    S
    Last edited by SolderIron4; 07-19-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Pic 1 of 3 requested.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Papang View Post
    Soooo sorry for being absent, but my father-in-law got sick and had to dedicate a lot of time to him along with my wife. Still not out of the woods but is a little better with med changes.

To mi amigo parsec, thnx for carrying the flag in the meanwhile and all those quality comments of course, merit quality answers. Just give a little more time and I'll most assuredly get around to it. Btw, sorry to report that AMD Over Drive does not see my 760G (nor the 740G) and will not give the needed mobo info. It will only work with the 770 chipset and up, blehh.

To Solderiron4, I followed up on parsec (see, I hear you) and added like you, another 60 X 10mm no-led fan above the NB HS along with the 40mm fan with the bling (sorry parsec, I am a modder and will probably die one too, hehe), but I feel the NB HS cooler most definitely. It is jammed between the vid card and the tower cpu HS at a 30% angle from horizontal. It spins at 3,800 rpms (only 3 pin pluged into the 4 pin header on the mobo-no spin control so at 100%) which means the noise factor is going up. Its ok for games but at idle while posting is pretty lame so I am using my wife's notebook to post.

You can get a few degrees lowering the voltage (undervolting) your NB with OC Tuner. Poke the "Voltage Control" button and you will see the NB voltage option. Most will use it upward but in this case, I pushed it down. I apparently have a stable system now at 1.0 v. (previously .9875v. but had artifacts) as compared to the default 1.150 v., a 13% drop. Butttttt...you use the IGP which complicates things a bunch.

I know it sounds weird but I am looking into OCing while Under volting. Yup, guys have done that. Google for: "AMD processor overclocking while undervolting". Apparently there is a lot of leeway of the voltage a core can handle downward WITHOUT Underclocking. The same applies to the NB. The thing is not to upset or change the multipliers or frequencies, just the VID (core voltages) until the system becomes unstable running Prime95 or similar. I am down from 1.450 v VID to 1.2250 v (down 18%) and think will go down further. Of course I lost a degree at idle and around 3-4c at load! I use degrees centigrade rather than fahrenheit so take that into account when I mention temps ;). Are you sure those measurements are fahrenheit and not centigrade? Centrigade is more likely for the NB HS I have. Thanks a bunch for those readings anyways.

There are utilities that can aid in doing this like "PhenomMSRTweaker" (32 or 64 bits). The succesor to this is "AmdMsrTweaker 1.1" for later AMD procs. Or "K10Stat" which is similar and used alot too. They both install/work in Win 8 64bits and are free and easy to get. It is a lot to chew but the right thing to do with this mobo.

So....give OCing a shot (but definitely UV (undervolt)) because your proc has a lot of potential compared to mine. And yes, your proc has a TDP of 95w. like mine but at 3.5ghz default. With turbo core at 4.1ghz it will most likely be close to 115w. Moreso with an aggressive OC like maybe 5ghz? This board is rated for 100w which I think is the absolute limit, never mind the throttling of your cpu if it gets too much over that or atleast a BSOD. I recommend NOT to disable throttling in the bios.

Remember, as you undervolt more and more, your cpu and nb temps go down the same way. Being new to this area, I think if we focus on this we can use our present procs for a long time on this little jewel of a board. Let me know that you all think altho I might not get back right away--sorry.

Cheers and Saludos
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?-imag0240-jpg 

2 of 3

Pic 1 of 3 requested.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?-imag0241-jpg 

3 of 3

2 of 3
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?-imag0242-jpg 

Papang is offline Junior Member

Great pics solder and of course they merit further comments, BUT I have to backtrack a little to answer some of the skipped comments on the thread so bear with me a little.

Your board's profiles sound weird to me, the BIOS profiles I've used on every board I've owned save ALL the BIOS values, every last one including boot order. First time I've heard of a partial-setting saving BIOS profile.

Sorry to say that it is true. My previous Asus board did have those profiles on the last page/tab but not this one which goes to show that a "value/budget" mobo is just that. In the day, my Asus mobo cost around $90usd and just about everything could be fine-tuned or tweaked on every tab. Except for the one lonesome tab for OCing, the rest are barely adjustable (enabled or disabled for ex.). It might indicate that you never got one of these penny-pinching boards and to tell the truth, I hadn't in ages neither.

That statement about the AMD 700 series chipsets was from... Wikipedia. Just one of the random hits I got while searching, and since AMD does NOT provide any data sheets on their chipsets, we'll take whatever bits of info we get.

In case you didn't notice, HWiNFO64 allows you to set the "Scan Interval" or the time between sensor reads, which is two seconds by default. Is the Auxiliary temp reading the only one that acts strange, as you described? Increasing the time between sensor reads might help that value become more normal, but who knows.

Yes, I had seen it too, but it only makes readings jitter/change a lot due to more frequent updates, but the Auxiliary reading was the same, taking the same minutes to update.

You lost me on this statement:

Altho I have had the internal graphic on "Disabled" in the bios from the beginning, could it still be working/active? If disabling the IGP means setting it to "Idle", that would explain why the NB HS is so hot.

Are you saying that disabling it would also disable the power saving feature? I kinda see the reasoning for that conclusion, but how could AMD be that... stupid to allow that?

That Sir, is a good question! An indication of this is that you cannot shut off the voltage of "mgpu" in OC Tuner, only reduce it a bit from 1.15 to 1.1v. If you cut off the voltage to the mgpu, you would also be turning off the NB?? I guess only an ASR engineer could answer that.

You're using that 40mm fan because it has LEDs on it? Come on, performance before bling! Frankly, I consider any fan smaller than 120mm to be a toy, and barely worth using. Sure, you must use a small fan on a chipset heatsink, and I have a box of small fans that I collected trying to find good ones. Some of the small fans from the stock AMD CPU heatsinks are decent fans, but at least 70mm I believe. IMO, 40mm X 10mm fans are worthless except to make noise. Get a bigger fan, 60mm x 10mm or 15mm are pretty common, I've got more than I'll ever use since I reject most due to being to noisy. I finally used a manual fan controller on a decent 60mm fan for my X58 chipset. My newest Z87 board's single chipset (Z87, duh!) runs at ~35C, so not a problem at all.

Well, not true, I have used 220mm fans on some of my cases, that blow air to almost the entire mobo area, but yes, they too have leds, haha. Most of my fans have 1) leds, 2) 3 or 4 pin wiring for control, 3) are UV reactive or transparent and 4) ball bearings. Oh, 5) they have to be quiet and efficient, so no no-name brands. All factory cpu hs fans don't come with leds but I did mod an Intel E3300 with 3 leds once and looked pretty cool, but I agree, they are made to last. I found a great Taisol 60 X 10mm , 3,800 rpm, dual ball bearing, 20cfm fan in my fan surplus box. Now let's see where to put it.

My "fancy, expensive" boards, in the $150 - $200 range are not that fancy, when $300 - $400 boards exist. BTW, I know you consider ATX boards as "anti-ecological", I read that in another post of yours. That's Ok, I'm not using a video card in this PC, so add your video card's area to your mobo, and we're almost equal.

Unfortunately, even my previous $90usd Asus mobo is a little out of reach but I think I have never bought a mobo over $100usd which is like middle tier in price. But I did buy an AMD FX-52 solo core proc for almost $1,000 usd back in the Pentium 4 days. I used it for around 6 mos. then sold it down here for the same price! Great cpu btw, could OC very well on an ABIT mobo. And yeah, it was a while ago when things were more prosperous, sigh...and Abit still existed-great brand.

And, you must be one of the few computer sicence majors that doesn't game! The Intel HD Graphics 4000 with your proc (would you call it an APU?), altho pretty peppy is not enough for serious gaming. If you did, I would call you "loco en la cabeza" (kidding!). I don't game as much as before but it is good to know that I can when I get the compultion, hehe. The day they make an APU with a swapable igpu, I will quit buying video cards but that is a while down the road yet. Oh, in my forum in Mexico (ModdingMX, figures eh?) we made a breakdown of users by income levels (in pesos of course) and the HW they could buy. Got a lot of hits! If I can find it, I will post here later on. I am an middle to upper middle tier user as you might imagine.

Hmm, more drives on the SB/SATA chipset warm it up. More load, more power needed, makes some sense. I don't see that much with Intel SATA chipsets

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information