Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone Else with a VERY HOT 960GM/U3S3 FX Northbridge Heatsink?

Papang, Muchos Gracias', but a thread for that build?! The true modder's would cringe about my simplistic build, it's not a big deal IMO. If I lived near to you (Cancun, OMG...), I would dress your cables like no one has ever seen before... if you had a case that is. I could even do it on your open test bench, no problemo!

The case is the (either loved or hated) NZXT Phantom, the original, in white, Newegg has six color variations. The Lian Li enthusiasts are also cringing, that plastic monstrosity a 'Li?! The top and front are plastic, but that does not bother me. I wanted something different in a case, and this one certainly is. It turns out this case can be made very quiet with great cooling, if you change a lot of the original fan configuration.

The video card is a EVGA GTX 650, the bottom card in their "Enthusiast" class, PCIe 3.0. Yes, it has the new half-length board, there are a few '650 models with full length cards, but most of them are the smaller style. Anything beyond the '650 is full length, at least for EVGA.

I swear I did not clean the inside of the case before I took the picture! The paint on that case is glossy and smooth, so tends to not pick up as much dust, apparently. I do go through many cans of dust-off I must say. Another OCD trick helps with dust, using auto wax on the interior of the case before the build.

Papang and Prof. Jim, So you noticed my Rube Goldberg Corsair H60 radiator custom job. I can't call it a mod, since nothing was really modified, I consider it a configuration. But you've been fooled about the number of fans, in reality there is only one fan cooling that radiator. Hard to tell of course, but all the other "fans" are simply shrouds as they are called in water cooling. Two of the shrouds are 120mm fans with the fan blades, motor, etc, removed, leaving only the frame. What looks like a clear plastic fan is a real 20mm radiator/fan shroud, just a frame like the ones I hacked up.

The point of the shrouds is to allow an easier, more even air flow through the radiator then you get with a fan attached directly to the radiator. The shrouds also reduce or prevent what I call air starvation, caused by the fan grill on the case. The shrouds create an air gap between the fan grill and fan or radiator, which is enough to prevent air from "whistling" through the fan grill, as the fan is otherwise fighting to pull air in through the grill.

The last somewhat unusual thing I'm doing is running the single fan in pull mode. Long story short, IMO that works at least as well as push only.

Prof Jim, dust bunnies know better than to enter my case, or spawn inside it! A white case forces you to clean it more often. Five 250CFM Delta's would be appropriate for cooling an OC'd Haswell CPU, that has not been de-lidded, I might try that... the fans that is

Did I install a PSU and run wires in my Haswell case? Nope, it runs on solar power during the day, and 12V car batteries at night. As Papang knows, I'm Under Clocking my Haswell CPU, to minimize power consumption at all times. That is the true purpose of Haswell, not to be defiled with vice and hammer, and Sodom and CLU, but to make Noctua case fans jealous of their power usage! (yeah, got a crappy chip...)

Papang is offline Junior Member

Aptly named: "Encore"! The whole project must have taken up at least half of this guys house, even going down a floor, hehe!

Before some over-zealous moderator starts sending comments/posts to other threads where they would be more appropriate, I want to thank all who gave gulps of air to this thread to keep it updated while some another user of this unique mobo post his comments and findings. Up to now "The ASR960GM/U3S3 FX Owners Club" has a total of 2 members, which if I am not wrong, are the only two proprietors of this little board who had the balls (uhh, ball bearings on their fans, really!) to post ANYTHING about it--one with good luck (all normal) and another with not so good luck (me).

What I hope to uncover is more experiences, even one more would be fine, of what this mobo is capable of, other than the normal "home/office" use that it was designed for. Maybe video rendering, code compiling, auto-cad, etc. on the "practical side" and gaming, OCs (with the proper knowledge) and other more fun stuff on the other. Tricks to extend its present capabilities are soooo welcome, especially when dealing with heat dissipation of the NB or just as important, heat dissapation in general (which will aide the NB as well). Comments from "underVOLTERS", a rare species, are very welcome and as mentioned, OCing while UVing is most welcome. In particular I speak of "bulldozer" owners who have trouble dealing with even high level motherboards and "piledriver" owners who are luckier, but only to a degree.

So thanx again for all of the "off topics" that give life to this thread.

Cheers and Saludos

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Papang View Post
    Aptly named: "Encore"! The whole project must have taken up at least half of this guys house, even going down a floor, hehe!

Before some over-zealous moderator starts sending comments/posts to other threads where they would be more appropriate, I want to thank all who gave gulps of air to this thread to keep it updated while some another user of this unique mobo post his comments and findings. Up to now "The ASR960GM/U3S3 FX Owners Club" has a total of 2 members, which if I am not wrong, are the only two proprietors of this little board who had the balls (uhh, ball bearings on their fans, really!) to post ANYTHING about it--one with good luck (all normal) and another with not so good luck (me).

What I hope to uncover is more experiences, even one more would be fine, of what this mobo is capable of, other than the normal "home/office" use that it was designed for. Maybe video rendering, code compiling, auto-cad, etc. on the "practical side" and gaming, OCs (with the proper knowledge) and other more fun stuff on the other. Tricks to extend its present capabilities are soooo welcome, especially when dealing with heat dissipation of the NB or just as important, heat dissapation in general (which will aide the NB as well). Comments from "underVOLTERS", a rare species, are very welcome and as mentioned, OCing while UVing is most welcome. In particular I speak of "bulldozer" owners who have trouble dealing with even high level motherboards and "piledriver" owners who are luckier, but only to a degree.

So thanx again for all of the "off topics" that give life to this thread.

Cheers and Saludos
    I doubt Prof Jim will police this thread to that degree, he's not the dictator type, and you are the OP, so if you approve all is well.

For some reason, ASR does not seem to have the same kind of group following, at least in this forum, that other manufactures have, like Gigabyte. Plus the Gigabyte threads are only about Intel boards and CPUs. Not being an AMD user, I'm not familiar with the forums that are the most active about AMD boards, etc.

I do wish you luck in stirring up some interest in your and other AMD boards.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information