Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock z87 Extreme 4 - UEFI 1.9 update failure Primary BIOS chip failure

cogssbg is offline Junior Member

Post ASRock z87 Extreme 4 - UEFI 1.9 update failure Primary BIOS chip failure

Tried to update my Extreme 4 board from UEFI 1.3 to 1.9. Initially there was an error but the system automatically restarted the flash and it ended in success.
    However, upon rebooting the system did not show a POST. Everything seems to be humming OK but no POST.
    I reverted to the backup/secondary BIOS with no problems. System worked OK using 1.3.
    But again, another problem, I cannot copy the secondary 1.3 to overwrite the primary BIOS. UEFI says the copy worked but the system does not show a POST when trying to boot with Primary BIOS.
    Is UEFI 1.9 not meant for the Extreme 4 board? Is my Primary BIOS chip corrupt to the point of being unrecoverable? Is the UEFI BIOS copy process broken?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock z87 Extreme 4 - UEFI 1.9 update failure Primary BIOS chip failure

"No POST", what does that mean? Simply no POST messages? Most of that could be BIOS settings, turning off the POST displays.

What OS are you using? What BIOS update method did you use?

Guess what, only one BIOS version listed on your board's download page now, version 2.30. I have no idea what versions existed in the past.

cogssbg is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock z87 Extreme 4 - UEFI 1.9 update failure Primary BIOS chip failure

No POST means nothing comes up on the screen. Dr. Debug shows code 40. Running Windows 8 Pro 64Bit.
    I tried to update from 1.3 to 1.9. I downloaded the file to a USB key and then used the Flash in the UEFI. It found the file automatically and updated it. Nothing was turned off regarding displaying POST.

You seem to be correct on the 2.3 version. I'm trying to figure out how I could have gotten the 1.9. Although I'm suspicious since the 2.3 is dated yesterday! However, benefit of the doubt...

The questions now are:
    1. Why does the copy BIOS not work (to copy from backup to primary)
    2. If I run an update to BIOS 2.3 from the backup BIOS(1.3) which BIOS will it update?
    3. Is the backup BIOS updateable?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cogssbg View Post
    No POST means nothing comes up on the screen. Dr. Debug shows code 40. Running Windows 8 Pro 64Bit.
    I tried to update from 1.3 to 1.9. I downloaded the file to a USB key and then used the Flash in the UEFI. It found the file automatically and updated it. Nothing was turned off regarding displaying POST.

You seem to be correct on the 2.3 version. I'm trying to figure out how I could have gotten the 1.9. Although I'm suspicious since the 2.3 is dated yesterday! However, benefit of the doubt...

The questions now are:
    1. Why does the copy BIOS not work (to copy from backup to primary)
    2. If I run an update to BIOS 2.3 from the backup BIOS(1.3) which BIOS will it update?
    3. Is the backup BIOS updateable?
    1. Do not know.

2. and 3. You cannot update the backup BIOS. Question 2 does not make sense.

Dear cogssbg,

I did the test and could backup BIOS from B -> A without any problem.
    BIOS B: P2.30
    BIOS A: P1.30

After finishing the backup procedure, BIOS A is also BIOS P2.30.

Please update BIOS P2.30 to try again.
    Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Thread Information